• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Striker Extreme and Ram Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hondamanslim

Registered
Does anyone know what the best brand of ram to get that will allow for a high overclock of the Stirker Extreme. I have (2) gigs of CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) C4 Pro. I want to add 2 more gigs but im afraid the board wont like it running at normal settings. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. Im hoping to for Max AI OC at most.:bang head

-----------------------------------
Asus Striker Extreme FSB 1466 oc'd
Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0 gig running at 3.3 oc'd
XMS Twin2x 2048-6400C4PRO
XFX 8800 GTS (640 mb)
WD Raptors (10,000 rpm) Raid 0
Air Cooled w/ Mini Typhoon on processor &
Arctic Fan 12's Front and rear of case (nice and quiet)
in Lian Li PC-7 plus case

Get a dominator or a ballistix 8500. but i dont know the ocability with different sets of ram. And also, did you mean you're ocing using AI Booster? if yes, thats really not a good idea. OC from the bios you'd get better results.

As far as I know that RAM does work. I know there is a list of supported RAM for your board but many people have got RAM that is on the list that hasn't worked and RAM that is not on the list that has worked great. You have both the RAM and the board right? why not just test them?

P.S. Don't use the AI feature, OC manually yourself. You'll get a better OC and you'll learn a lot more

Thanks guys.... I do have them and i am using the AI overclock option in the bios. Not the nos but the percentage overclock. Im at 10% but cant go higher due to ram. When i got the chips, i had to up the voltage to 2.0v to get them to boot. Never thought the led window would help so much.. I did use the list and it says it supports four of these chips but i hate to waste the money. The first round of ram chips had to be RMA'd and it was a quick process but tough to look at a $1500 paper weight till they came back! I just wonder cause i dont see much discussion about this board and everything i hear is mixed. Too bad this isnt as reliable across the board as the P4C800-E.

First off, believe me when i tell you, DO NOT USE THE AI PERCENT OVERCLOCK FEATURE! if thats really just what you want then fine but you WILL get a better overclock if you do it yourself. Also, I believe that that RAM takes 2.1 volts standard. If this is true (and MAKE SURE you verify the RAM is rated at 2.1 volts) you will get better clocks out of the ram. Spend some time reading the overclock stickies. You'll be very happy you did!!

P.S. I had a PC4-800-E A long time ago...haha but yea ur right, that board was nice.

Back