• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

THE MOST EXTREME PC POSSIBLE IN 2011

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

misternumberone

I don't think that anyone could ever or would ever make this build for real, but I decided a few months ago to make a list of the parts that would make up the ABSOLUTE BEST PC it would be POSSIBLE, PRACTICAL OR NOT to build IN 2011. I came up with this. I'd like to know if there is anything that I missed, or if anything is not compatiable. keep in mind that it is supposed to be as EXTREMELY EXTREME AND RIDICULOUSLY OVER-THE-TOP AS POSSIBLE(in 2011)! (Already we have something better in 2012 than 2011: the new Radeon HD 7970!) I don't even want to think about how much this would actually cost !
Here it is:

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Edition
CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 6-core 15 Megabyte Level 3 Cache i7-3960X Overclocked to 6 Gigahertz with Overclocked Turbo Boost up to 6.5 Gigahertz
RAM: Eight sticks of 8 Gigabytes 1.65 Volt Quad Channel G.SKILL RipjawsZ 240-pin DDR3 PC3-19200 Unbuffered Direct Inline Memory Module Random Access Memory
GPU: Two ASUS MARS II Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 SLI Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 cards in SLI
SSD: Two OCZ Octane 1 Terabyte SATA III Solid State Drives AND OCZ ZD4RM88-FH-3.2T 3.2 Terabyte PCI express 3.0 x8 Solid State Drive
HDD: Three Western Digital SATA III Caviar Green 3 Terabyte Hard Drive Disks AND Western Digital SATA III Caviar Black 2 Terabyte Hard Drive Disk
PSU: Two Epower Tiger EP-2000P10-T3 2000-Watt fully modular power supply units
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit AND Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 64-bit
Monitor: Eight Dell UltraSharp U2711 69 Centimeter Monitors in AMD EyeFinity AND Dell ST2220T 21.5 Inch Multi-touch Monitor with IPS
TV: Sony 65 Inch XBR-65HX929 smart TV
Optical Drive: Three Life's Good Internal SATA 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter Drives
Case: Custom Advanced FrozenCPU Dual Loop Extreme Liquid Cooled Corsair CC800DW Obsidian 800D Black Aluminum Full Tower ATX Enthusiast Case
Fan: Four Delta FFB1212EHE 120 millimeter Case Fans
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 2 5.25 inch Touch Screen Front Bay Fan Controller
Front Bay Multi-Reader: Koutech FPM522 Multifunction Hi-Speed Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Front Panel Multi-Format Card Reader with Universal Serial Bus 2.0 and eSATA and HD Audio Ports
Front Bay I/O Hub: SIIG SuperSpeed Universal Serial Bus 3.0 4-Port Front Bay Hub with Host Kit
Speakers: Klipsch Palladium P-39F Home Theater System
Mouse: Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Keyboard: Logitech G19 Keyboard
Webcam: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
Headset: Turtle Beach Z6A PC Headset
Cables: Eight Monster M2000 High Definition Media Interface Cables AND Eight Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adaptors AND Two Monster Digital Life High Performance DVI-D Monitor Cables
Gamepad: Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows
Gameboard: Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard
Printer: Epson Workforce 840 All-in-One Printer
UPS: ACP Symmetra LX 12kVA Scalable to 16kVA N+1 SYA12K16PXR+(2)SYAXR9B9 208/240 Volt Exterior Run Tower
Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys AE2500 Wireless-N Dual-Band USB Adapter
Router: Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router
Modem: Motorola SURFboard SB6121 eXtreme Cable Modem
Software:
1. Microsoft Office Professional 2010
2. Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate
3. Rock Star Games Grand Theft Auto IV
5. Square Enix Final Fantasy XIV
6. Mojang Minecraft
7. Blizzard World of Warcraft: Cataclysm with unending account
8. Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended
9. Adobe Flash Player
10. Adobe Acrobat X Professional
11. Oracle Java Runtime Enviroment
12. Valve Steam + Steam account with every game on the Steam Store
13. Microsoft Security Essentials
14. Heidi Eraser
15. BitTorrent
16. LIGHTNINGUK! ImgBurn
17. CPUID CPU-Z
18. Techpowerup GPU-Z
19. Geeks3D FurMark 1.9.1
20. Futuremark 3DMark 11 Advanced Edition
21. Futuremark PCMark 7 Professional Edition

GPU: Two ASUS MARS II Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 SLI Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 cards in SLI

As you said - you want three 7970s now.

SSD: Two OCZ Octane 1 Terabyte SATA III Solid State Drives AND OCZ ZD4RM88-FH-3.2T 3.2 Terabyte PCI express 3.0 x8 Solid State Drive

High-end RAID card and five MaxIOPs will probably be quicker.

Optical Drive: Three Life's Good Internal SATA 12x Super Multi Blue Lightscribe Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter Drives

Optical media is almost dead, you only really need one of these, if any.

Cables: Eight Monster M2000 High Definition Media Interface Cables AND Eight Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adaptors AND Two Monster Digital Life High Performance DVI-D Monitor Cables

Monster cables are a complete waste of money, especially for digital signals.

Wireless Network Adapter: Linksys AE2500 Wireless-N Dual-Band USB Adapter
Router: Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Dual-Band N Router

Nah, a pair of Gb-E and trunk them ... even though it'll far exceed the bandwidth of any internet connection.

If only you had your $50k ...

OK, I have the flu and am not in a particularly good mood, but I'll try to offer you some advice...

If you want to be taken seriously here, you'll want to follow this:

1.) Use proper grammar and punctuation.
2.) DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS. This is usually the first evidence we have of a worthless post.
3.) Do research. Do it before you post. If you had done research, you would have known that most of what you want is not necessary. You would also know about the Sandybridge-E processor.
4.) Don't make posts like this. For every super-awesome-uber-extreme PC that someone plans, someone else already has one better. Again, do research first.

Last edited:

OK, I have the flu and am not in a particularly good mood, but I'll try to offer you some advice...

2.) DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS. This is usually the first evidence we have of a worthless post.
3.) Do research. Do it before you post. If you had done research, you would have known that most of what you want is not necessary. You would also know about the Sandybridge-E processor.
4.) Don't make posts like this. For every super-awesome-uber-extreme PC that someone plans, someone else already has one better. Again, do research first.

Yeah, I think that you should probably not post while sick.

As you said - you want three 7970s now.

High-end RAID card and five MaxIOPs will probably be quicker.

Optical media is almost dead, you only really need one of these, if any.

Monster cables are a complete waste of money, especially for digital signals.

Nah, a pair of Gb-E and trunk them ... even though it'll far exceed the bandwidth of any internet connection.

If only you had your $50k ...

I considered RAID, and now thinking back, you're probably right about that. I am keeping the MARS IIs in because this is a 2011 only list. Could you recommend a cable brand that is better than Monster? I have some of them and thought they were good, though Monster does hype up useless features.
I have optical drives in there because this list is supposed to be ridiculously over-the-top and as good as is technically possible to make. While optical media IS nearing the end of its life, what else would I put in those 5 1/2 bays? And bout the Gigabit Ethernet, I considered putting an ethernet card in there, but it has one integrated already and the MARS IIs take up all of the board slots bar one. I don't know, would it be possible to put the bottom mars II in the bottom slot with this case and MoBo and it still fit? because that would open up two more PCIe slots to add things in.

I'd like to point out that, for obvious reasons, your arguments 3 and 4 are invalid.

I stand behind what I said. It appears that you went to NewEgg, looked for the highest priced items and copied them into your post.

"CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 6-core 15 Megabyte Level 3 Cache i7-3960X Overclocked to 6 Gigahertz with Overclocked Turbo Boost up to 6.5 Gigahertz"
Yeah right.. good luck with that.

TL;IOS (To long; I only skimmed)

You forgot Watercooling....... Or Extreme Cooling

EDIT: also "Monitor: Eight Dell UltraSharp U2711 69 Centimeter Monitors in AMD EyeFinity AND Dell ST2220T 21.5 Inch Multi-touch Monitor with IPS"

Good luck with eyefinity on nvidia cards and even with AMD cards max supported is 3x2 1080p monitors. 8 is possible with other solutions with those cards but not eyefinity or surrond

in fact im not even sure any cards today can push 8 monitors fluidly

Last edited:
Ha! I caught it! Oops.. I guess he was correct about me not posting while sick. Yeah, that *IS* a Sandybridge-E processor. :salute:

STILL...

It is common knowledge (although I think it makes no sense at all...) that filling up every memory slot degrades performance. By adding the maximum memory that the motherboard supports, you slow down the PC in compassion to say, using 4 x 8GB.

One 2000 watt PSU is overkill for that system and you have two. :shock:

SLI just simply doesn't work well. It requires games to be developed for it and there are not that many. Ignoring the fact that I've switched to ATi, would I do a SLI setup? Yes, but only bcause one of my hobbies is game development and I would like to see what I can do with a multi-GPU setup and I really want want to play around with CUDA. I have read too many horror stories about conflicts and driver issues to warrant it in a performance system. I don't think the gains outweigh the costs. This may have changed, but it has been awhile since I've paid attention to nVidia GPUs.:-/

The monitors and Monster cable issues have already been addressed.

It should be important to note that many cable internet providers do not allow you to supply your own modem. The two that I have used in the past, Time Warner and COX, really frowned on it. They lose money if you don't buy their hardware. I would, at the very least, make sure that will not be an issue.

Visual Studio Ultimate is just simply excessive, unless you are apart of a multi-person development team. You are really paying an extra several thousand dollars for support.

Is this hypothetical or a real build?

Filling up memory slots doesnt degrade performance. If I have a system at 4Ghz with 4x1GB or 8x1GB, performance will be the exact same. What tends to happen is the more slots/density it sometimes limits the top end of your overclock.

Also @ MarkS - SLI works well. Scaling is there on most games (like AMD's Crossfire), and like AMD sometimes profiles do not exist so scaling is poor or non existent. I do agree Crossfire scales better in most cases, but to say it simply doesnt work well, is a farse. And this is coming from someone who doesnt like SLI or Crossfire for most situations.

Last edited:
I dont think its not more of a mess than many other stuff people are trying to serve.

To bring that one stable is like the hardest stuff on the world.

This is a hypothetial build. I am urrently using the same modem I have listed here with Time Warner able in Texas with no problems. The two Mars IIs an support the 10 sreens I have listed, though not eyefinity, just Windows' ability to use more than one in an "extend desktop" option. I definitely did my researh. There should be no reason why this would not ultimately work together. Sorry about the misspells, but my SEE key is broken and I don't have an OSK on the laptop I'm on right now. I have 2 2000 watt PSUs baausem belive it or not, on the xtreme pro PSU alulator, it ame out with 2053 watts reomended. I think it would probably work fine with one, but just in ase. The WHOLE POINT of this list is AS MUH OVERKILL AS POSSIBLE.

TL;IOS (To long; I only skimmed)

You forgot Watercooling....... Or Extreme Cooling

EDIT: also "Monitor: Eight Dell UltraSharp U2711 69 Centimeter Monitors in AMD EyeFinity AND Dell ST2220T 21.5 Inch Multi-touch Monitor with IPS"

Good luck with eyefinity on nvidia cards and even with AMD cards max supported is 3x2 1080p monitors. 8 is possible with other solutions with those cards but not eyefinity or surrond

in fact im not even sure any cards today can push 8 monitors fluidly

Read it again before you point out stuff I missed. I got waterooling, It's in the ase setion, beause I found a speial ustom 800D. I would have gone with PHASE ANGE ooling, but thought, "nah, That's just a little TOO MUH overkill. EVEN FOR THIS. Pardon my lak of SEEs, my SEE key is broken and I don't have opypaste or OSK on this omputer.

I stand behind what I said. It appears that you went to NewEgg, looked for the highest priced items and copied them into your post.

LOL. Nothing ould be farther from what I atually did, exept that I did use the internet. II never looked at any online retailers. Just found out what was the best of eah part, and researhed what would work together.

Back