• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The official "Anti-Unethical Overclockers Army" thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this gives what now about 30 people in it? Thats just a guess of course. Congrats to Balton for posting that one original post :]

Edit - *cough*sticky?*cough*

(im saying this coz.....its gonna stink if we have to keep bumping it up :D (and if not this one, at least the other one :]))

Last edited:
Cool.. do I get a pin, badge, ball point pen, plaque.. anything, for my support?

I know.. just a pat on the back and an "atta' boy"..

I can live with that :D

udated guys.

BTW im not trying to be a leader-type, instead im just gettiing the ball rolling by posting the thread.
so decisions are made by everyone, not me. mmmmkay?

no offense but isnt this kinda meaningless

every one who is already ethical will sign up

every one who is not wont

what does it realy change

your not changeing anyones ethics or forming an army your just handing out "bumperstickers" or "name tags"

baqai said:
my vote for OEM james :)

oem? sounds good to me

crash893
what will it change? i dont know. but if it encorouges even one person to change their ways, just one, then its far from pointless, isnt it?
even the smallest good that could come of this is still good

crash893 said:
no offense but isnt this kinda meaningless

every one who is already ethical will sign up

every one who is not wont

what does it realy change

your not changeing anyones ethics or forming an army your just handing out "bumperstickers" or "name tags"

It is an attempt to show that not all overclockers endorse unscrupulous practices at this site. An opposite view could easily be formed by a new visitor after reading some of the practices that are being openly discussed. The ethical do not have to remain silent while other stuff is going on, to do so could be interpreted as an I don't care attitude. Nothing physical may come of it but that is not the point.

palee72 said:

I agree... Do you think chip makers think it is ethical that we overclock instead of buying the chip that we are using at the overclocked speed??

Nope.

Even Intel is getting in on the overclocking/modding side of the PC industry.

True, we buy up all of the low end of each generation CPU, and shoot for particular steppings, then push em hard as we can...
and really try to avoid the higher-clocked chips, as we know it's the same core.

but soon theres an advance, and a whole new generation of CPU's to scarf up and push... fanning them, watering em' and even freezing em'... yea we pop a few in the process, they quickly get replaced... Properly, by ordering a NEW one.

We have a niche. It's growing, alot!
MFR's are aiming the Majority of their new gear directly at US, the O/C'ers...
I feel we have a responsibility to treat them with respect.
RMA'ing something you popped is the same as walking into a store and stealing it off the shelf... the MFR/dealer pays for YOUR error/theft.

Theres no honor in that, and we would prefer to be known as honorable enthusiasts of an overclocking community,
rather than dishonest thieves trying to get over on everyone.

RMA'ing does raise costs, so you'll end up paying for your deception anyhow.

Anyways, count me in.
i'm all for raising the ethical awareness of overclocking and the risk acceptance of said practices.

Gamers and PC Hobbyists (US:D) drive the Technology, businesses and Joe-Sixpack accont for most of the sales.

As far as what good this thread and Army/movement (or whatever) will do: well for those who don't care: nothing.

For those who are just getting involved and recently joined these forums (or join soon) it may help to show them that rmaing something they break is NOT the right thing to do.

Anyone who is a vendor and is perusing these forums- and they do- may be happy to learn that all overclockers are not breaking things left and right and then returning them- it can't hurt.

As a note: I have one local vendor that I do some business with: I get prices from him that are competitive with most prices available on the Internet because he knows that I overclock and only test for 24 hours before voiding my warranty. He has little to worry about as far as returns go with anything sold to me.

Taylor said:

Well I'm all for it, and I sure wouldn'tr dream of standing in the way, but when you look at the cost-reward ratio i think we may get the best return just by cultivating awareness on the board, and perhaps levy access penalties for transgressions. If someone comes swaggering in bragging about how they justsent bacfk a stick of ram because they didn't get 40% more speed than the thing is rated, well then they get a tongue lashing and sent to bed without dinner.

But a website? What would go there other than a mission statement and ethical code? We could do that here in the FAQ.

that's precisely what i'm talking about. i also agree with crash.

what's the point? how is this going to go any further than this thread?

it seems like you are just applauding yourselves.

but i'm not against you at all. more power to you.

I agree with specific agreeing with me

i didnt want to come off as poo pooing on your idea i was just stateing my view

21,620 to go

specific said:

that's precisely what i'm talking about. i also agree with crash.

what's the point? how is this going to go any further than this thread?

it seems like you are just applauding yourselves.

but i'm not against you at all. more power to you.

specific: i think it will only go as far as it needs to.

applauding ourselfs? why not? i dont see a problem with it.

when there are so many people who are dishonest and will take the easiest root (making it harder for the rest of us in the process) i see no reason not to applaud myself.

i take pride in the fact that i can say "hey, look at me, im honest and ethecal!"

little drops of water gather to make a puddle .. little grains of sand gather to make a desert .. i think everyone can makes a difference :)

agreed. i wouldn't be suprised if we start showing up on other forums soon, if we havnt already.

btw do you think the colors on the first post look better (they better do - took me 20mins!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back