• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 'OFFICIAL' Thread on unlocking AMD CPUs!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I tried a regular #2 pencil... chip still locked in my bios

I used a

SANFORD EAGLE USA HB 2

I just "wrote" on top of the old pencil. Do I need to remove the old pencil lead? Can I erase the old pencil marks without messing up my chip?

I connected the dots like so for my L1
: : : : ==>> | | | |

I made sure that the pencil marks didn't touch each other. I might invest in a resistance meter thingy to check if I actually am making a circuit or not.

IS it the graphite in the pencil, or is it something else that conducts electricty. I learned in chemistry class that Carbon in graphite form is a poor conductor at room temp, but a good lubricant. Do I need to get a pencil with actual lead "Pb" in it??? I replaced my HS about 6 times now trying to unlock my chip. I hope I am not missing something simple.

Specs:
Case IW-Q500N Full Tower
Power Supply Powerman 300W
Motherboard ASUS A7M266 v1004A
CPU AMD Athlon 1.4GHz LOCKED
Ram 1X 256MB Crucial PC2100 DDR
Hard Drives 1X 60GB IBM deskstars 60XP
DVD-ROM Pioneer 16X DVD-106S
CD-RW Plextor Plexwriter 16/10/40A
Windows 2000 pro

I would need to mod my motherboard (ASUS A7M266) in order to change my multiplier. :temper: All the more reason to buy a new mobo :) I guess my chip is unlocked, but I need a motherboard that supports unlocked chips.

nuthouse.... im probably gonna make you hate yourself.

but have you cleared the cmos after????

dont bang to hard.

:argue:

My method - Super Glue to fill the trenches, and a Micro Tip Conductive Pen. I have tried to unlock several times in the past without success, but I finaly figured out the best way. I think what most people do wrong is filling the trences incorrectly, at least thats what I found my problem was. What I do now is use clear scotch tape to cover the L1's. I then apply the super glue and let it get quite dry, about 10 minutes. I dont worry how high the super glue gets, because my trick is to use a razor blade to trim it back down to almost level with the face of the CPU. So my advise is get your scotch tape out and your razor blade at the ready, dont be afraid to apply a good amount of super glue!

Good Luck!!

:p :p

Lvcoyote

i stuck superglue on the end of an exacto blade (did the tape thing) and just leaveled it over the trench and dragged it along and filled nicely! without worrying about cutting your chip!

ok im kinda lost cause i am kinda new to this overclocking bit. I have amd athlon t-bird 950 socket a and was trying to figure out what i need to do to unlock it. My mobo wont allow me to crank up power so i guess i need to unlock it. I know theres a video for the xp chip but for the athlon anyone know what i have to do to unlock it?

VERY SIMPLE!!!!!!!!!!

just take your ordinary pencil, shapen it good and connect them good ol l1 bridges! so it looks like the finish product like in the video. just dont cross them......

its quite easy, i was able to do it with my naked eye and in like 30 seconds...

Or you can do it like the video, but lucky you.........you dont have to do the trench filling part......just do the connections of the bridges.....no trenches on your t-bird :)

Good Luck!

Lvcoyote

I've just been wondering if it would be possible to unlock an Athlon xp by simply cutting off the right pin (the one that controls the multipier)? I'm just curious as is seems that this is what a "golden socket" seems to do. (doesn't cut it off but simply doesn't use it)

Hi , I just unlock Two new XP's last night.

Used quick drying glue to fill the pits and read windows defogger repairkit to connect the dot's

my XP 1800+ is doing XP2000+ now @ 1.81V and 42°C
my XP 1600+ is doing XP 1800+ new @ 1.75V and 42°C

Now I've succesfully unlocked 3 CPU's. the last 2 I did within 1 our for the both of them.

you just need a steady hand

GreetZ Neo

HEHEH here we go

ok i am gonna unlock my processor using superglue conductive paint method!!! i gonna do it saturday!!! i will all tell u how it went and post my tips!

YAY!!!:D
I just unlocked my XP cpu the other day and now i can run at a whopping 170Mhz fsb. with the multiplier set at 10x So far it seems like everything is rock stable. i got the unlocking kit from highspeedpc.com and it took about 4 or 5 tries to get it right, i thought the first time i did it that nothing was touching (when i looked at it with a magnifying glass) but i'm thinking now that maybe i didn't have the conductive grease touching the L1 contacts good enough (hint for all you first timers). I didn't even use the magnifying glass the last time i did it, i just used my naked eye, i think it works better that way at least for me cause magnifying glass makes my movements seem to shaky.

But i am really happy with the results. It is so much fun to have flexibility with your processor. Well just thought i would add my 2 cents in this thread even though i think everything is already covered.

silver conductive paint unlocking

bought my silver conductive paint!!! ahhh but it says keep away from ignition, extremly flamable! I called company and they said the boiling point is at 56C soooooooo hehehe now i am wondering what you guys say to that??? how hot does the L1 area of the chip get??? My CPU is onder full load 49C, but thats the CPU chip, isnt it??? not the L1 area, shall i buy different silver conductive paint? surely there arent many differences between them???
dont want that stuff melting away when playing games do i?
any ideals, tips??

Well the paint thiner thats in the can ignites at 56C and when its dry theres no more paint thiner to ignite...sooooooo...unless your doing it with your comp on youll be fine
:beer:

When you become, oh, 14 or 15, you should learn at school about solvents. You'll probably be sniffing them by then.

No... just kidding... solvents are the volatile base that evaporates away from what you will be painting, so you can paint with a convenient liquid but the paint will dry for you. Boiling points of metals are far higher.

Back