• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The 'OFFICIAL' Thread on unlocking AMD CPUs!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bdf25
I have the same problem. I sat down last night and used the krazy glue and defogger paint. These 40 year old eyes aren't what they used to be. Man those bridges are small! It looked perfect under a mag glass, so back together it went. Now my 1900xp thinks its a 1700. (according to Sandra anyway) The defaults in the softmenu are all lower. The great part is i have lowered myself from the 12 multi. on the xp1900 to and 11. i am now running a 157 fsb with the 11 and never made it ove 141 before stable. I have picked up over 350 points on my memory benches in sandra with no cpu loss. Heat appears to not be affected as well.

It is running great and after reading a few post I mat not tempt the AMD god's and try again. I guess this was more for information than a question but if anyone figurse out what we Partial unlockers did wrong I'd love to hear it???

Thanks
Bric

Will Tape work?

Hey if you just use a THIN strip of Scotch tape to cover the pits and then paint over that with defogger paint would that not work?

also I heard just using a white eraser on the dots gets rid of any coating that was on them....be sure to check your things with a multimeter if you can....partial unlocking is probably because only a few of the bridges are made I thinks..so this way you could at least know which ones you have right instead of doing it all over again and different ones not working the next time...

I'm new at this too...hopefully when I do it it'll be as easy as I have read =D

Wont the thermal paste smear the lead from the pencil or the conductive grease and mess up all of the connections or does the grease dry after awhile?

I know about those 40 year old eyes. I've tried 3 times and failed. I will keep trying though. Fourth attempt coming this weekend.

wow this really isnt that hard!, i did it bare eyes, and 1st time its done!, will be doing another xp soon!

-edit- also i did it in around 20minits.. filled the pits, and conducted with defogger taping it off

You young guys! I will be trying the defogger method this weekend. I tried a popular kit my first 3 times. I want something that will dry quickly. So, this time I will use superglue and conductive paint.

Unlocked my XP 1800+ today using superglue and the defogger kit. Thanks a lot for all the help!

i got a new xp chip on the way and i am going to use the defogger method...wished i had done this first i wouldnt have fried my first one...oh well...wish me luck when i get it, im going to get the stuff needed for this method in time before it gets here!

ezekiel987 said:
i got a new xp chip on the way and i am going to use the defogger method...wished i had done this first i wouldnt have fried my first one...oh well...wish me luck when i get it, im going to get the stuff needed for this method in time before it gets here!
I would throw the chip in your PC first just to make sure it work's. What if by some freak thing it was DOA. And you filled in the gap's and used defoger paint to cross the bridge's. Then you stick it in and it does'nt work. Your out a chip as they most likely won't RMA it. Unless you can get everything off of the chip without leaving the slightest mark. Which would be very hard.

/me busted out the good ol' HTML

ok guys i made a little guide of my own, that basicly shows how i did my xp

http://amdunlock.20m.com

hope this helps you a lot!

-edit- sorry about the ads i need a quick free server to use....

maskedgeek how did you volt mod your board??? i have been crusing the forums for awhile and never had a decent overclocking board so i dont no all the tricks of the trade! i want to get the most out of this system...so any advice on bios settings, would be more than appreciated! :) ;)

Unlocking the XP Questions

I'm new to this and trying to learn so please be patient if this question has been asked 1000 times already. I know that unlocking an Athlon XP chip means increasing the multiplier of the FSB and thus increasing the effective clock frequency.

My question is say you unlock an XP 1500 or XP1600. Can you make it run as fast as an an XP 1900 or XP 2000 or even an XP 2100? What is the limiting factor here?

If this is so why isn't everybody just buying the cheaper chip and overclocking it? Like I said this is new to me so these might be silly questions. I'll know after someone answers them. I'm about to build a system from scratch and trying to figure which Athlon XP would be the best choice and the cheapest with adequate speed. Thanks in advance!!!!

Don

:D

ezekiel987 said:
maskedgeek how did you volt mod your board??? i have been crusing the forums for awhile and never had a decent overclocking board so i dont no all the tricks of the trade! i want to get the most out of this system...so any advice on bios settings, would be more than appreciated! :) ;)

it isnt any more, the one of the wires came off and almost fried my board, but check it in the cases and powersupplies place

and unlocking the multiplier means you can change it and you can change the fsb without unlocking the multiplier, BUT the reason people dont just buy 1600 chips and overclock them to way crazy speeds, is that it takes cooling.... lots of cooling most of the time, my 1600+ overclocked to 1.9ghz puts out 2x the wattage 2x heat, and they need to have better stable cooling for you to get that high of an overclock.... you can usually put a 1600+ up to 1900+ easily without a problem...but putting it to 1.9ghz(around 2400+ takes a LOT of cooling... and a lot of voltage...

:cool: you guys r better than hollywood (lol) so now to unlock amd 1800xp is that easy then why r they frying there cpu I dont have the extra money to just buy another one so is it worth it? and will it void the 3 year warrenty?

itll void the warrenty, sometimes they scrach something or something gets messed and the cpu fries, then they are screwed over, i havent had any problems so far..

ezekiel987 said:
if i wanted to attempt 2ghz with my new setup...what voltage would u say, 2???
It really depend's as every chip is different. None of them overclock the same much less use the same voltage to get there. I would say atleast 1.85 to 1.9v if not even more then that. Like I said it's hard to say.

i bet watercooled you could do 2ghz but not aircooled, maby throw a screemer on that for a day and see what happens...

Back