• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TurboV overclocking (software)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UltraTaco

Anyone used it before? I had it sitting in my files forever and decided to give her a try. I can switch between my overclocks on the fly! I can't change memory timings or multipliers, but all voltages are there and it's great to fine tune some overclocks to find just where exactly it begins to crash because you can incrementally decrease vcore and vtt, and bunch of other stuff without restarting! In fact, you can even change while stress testing. You can keep lowering until you crash, that way you know where approximately to dial it in.

I kinda like it and figured I'd share it here :clap::popcorn:

View attachment 195652

Those winders proggies for overclocking are more trouble than they're worth. Not bad to monitor stuff, but no self respected overclocker would use a winders program to overclock a cpu/motherboard. That should be done through the bios. Video cards are different.
Nifty eyecandy tho, but I would advise against using it.

Well, what's wrong with it? To me, it looks like a great little gadget to compliment bios overclocking. Software is fairly lean. No bloat ware or million other things. Just basic stuff. Tell you what, I'll give it a try and report back if it gives me trouble.
So far, I was able to switch between 4ghz, 3.9ghz and then dial her lower.

My aim is to boot into Windows with my top overclock and then just dial her back to more same levels for some basic stuff, like listening to music and if I need to, I can just crank her back to hi speed on the fly for something intensive. Cpuz shows normal switching behavior within few seconds, not even a hickup..

C'mon, what do you, say, sir? It can't be all that bad, eh? I mean what's the worst that could happen?

I used AMD's Overdrive with a Phenom X4 and it worked pretty well. I couldn't improve on the results using BIOS settings, and got a pretty good OC on a chip notorious for being a dud in the OC arena. I don't know if anything similar exists for Intel chips (by similar I mean as good). It was also the most accurate for monitoring for me. When I used it on my FX 6350 I maxed out the chip, too. I managed to get lower temps/voltage through the BIOS, but no higher speed.

Well, what's wrong with it? To me, it looks like a great little gadget to compliment bios overclocking. Software is fairly lean. No bloat ware or million other things. Just basic stuff. Tell you what, I'll give it a try and report back if it gives me trouble.
So far, I was able to switch between 4ghz, 3.9ghz and then dial her lower.

My aim is to boot into Windows with my top overclock and then just dial her back to more same levels for some basic stuff, like listening to music and if I need to, I can just crank her back to hi speed on the fly for something intensive. Cpuz shows normal switching behavior within few seconds, not even a hickup..

C'mon, what do you, say, sir? It can't be all that bad, eh? I mean what's the worst that could happen?

You're actually using it *** backward. Most people boot in soft and OC a little more after they're in windows.

I use similar programs wire often when trying to benchmark so that I am not trying to boot into Windows at really high speeds and voltages. Better to go in way and then crank it when ready. I do this only on my benching rugs though as I do not like using it on my main rigs. Better to set a good overclock in bios on your main rig and then leave it alone. If you want to save power when only doing light tasks just made sure to leave c-states enabled and set your power profile to Balanced. When you are just doing light tasks your computer will clock down and park cores.

Hey Neb TurboV, especially the newer ones are a small footprint software and used quite regularly when pushing the limits under extreme conditions. Only issues I ever have with them is if I crash while using them getting the board to boot can be a pain. But ASUS even has that covered with safe boot these days

Well, I played around with it last night before going to bed and not sure how, but it was stable 3.5ghz 1.1vcore under load. Didn't even crash or freeze. For 4 minutes though :rofl: I didn't test longer.

Anyways, I've been knowing for doing stuff backwards, Mr.Scott. please explain what I am,doing backwards, I'm a little confused. I have all my overclocks saved in bios already and I just set same voltages into software presets.

Anyways, when I overclock, my voltage stays more or less the same +/- little bit. So if I set 1.3vcore, under idle it will be like 1.284 or so. That's where TurboV comes in :) I can just, downclock to lower speed and drop voltage to like 1.15 or so and be set :) on my rig, the frequency multiplier does drop in idle, but not voltage. I don't need heavy vcore or overclock for opening word document or playing itunes, but if I decide to fire up something else, I can go back to fullspeed

Like I said if you enable the built in power saving features it will do this automatically without your intervention. My i7-860 is currently overclocked to around 3.75ghz at 1.2875 volts. When it idles down because I am just browsing the system steps down to about 1.8 ghz at around 0.983 volts and parks 2c/4t. When I go back to whatever else the system goes back to normal and I never really notice any lag due to this.

There is really no need to be messing around with manually changing the profile for power savings. If you just want to play around with Vcore go ahead but do not overthink how to do preaching and just let the system, which is designed to handle it, do its job.

Sir, I did not disable power saving features. If I have vcore set to auto, it will drop down during,idle until I reach bclk 152 which gives me 3192mhz. As soon as it goes over that, it won't drop vcore in idle. Also if I set vcore myself, it won't drop during,idle either.

Can you please explain what saving features I have to enable? I keep everything at defaults in that area. Let me snap a photo in bois
View attachment 195657
View attachment 195658

Last edited:
Is there an option to set offset voltage instead of manually inputting 1.3V for instance?

Nah, like Console mentioned, it probably came around later..
I'll snap a photo of all voltages after dinner. Maybe it's called something else in mine..

Btw, meanwhile, I'm testing 3500ghz at vcore1.12 (167x21)

Tried that, it don't work. With any possible moment, it tries pushing 22x multi and causes instability. I got bsod 101 on 4ghz boot which was fine before c states.

It don't bring vcore down on idle, still hovers close to what I set

Okay, one thing that causes stuff to not werk is this:
I have 3 stable profiles: 3.5, 3.9, & 4ghz.
If I boot up highest speed and use TurboV to switch to lowest speed, everything works, but, If I boot up with lowest speed and then use TurboV to switch to highest speed, everything freezes over. Incrementally increasing bclock manually, at some,point creates prime 95 error and then I get BSOD 50, page fault in non paged area.

I'm guessing it has something to do with subtimings causing trouble. When I boot with 3.5, ram is slower, so some timings may,be lower and when I start going up, ram can't handle the speed increase and causes problem, but if I start with 4ghz, ram is already fast and,timings are loosened a little, so dropping frequency doesn't make such big deal for the hardware.

Just my thwory, but then another thing happens. If I'm booted in fast speed and drop bclock BY A LOT, say going to like 133, then it also freezes. Anyways, something doesn't like something.

Do you have Windows set to balanced power plan or high performance?
Messing with baseclock after OS is going to cause problems with ram unless all timings are set manually

BSOD 50 is a ram error.
Right back to your initial problem. That ram will not hit the clocks and timings you're asking of it. It is 1333 ram, not 1600. That is why they bin memory.

No noo, I know it's ram error, but,it's stable at 4ghz, Mr.Scott(old prime stable). Its just like Johan said, changing bclock after Windows causes issues sometimes.

I tested all those overclocks extensively(sort of) and theyre all goid. Jumping dramatically between bclocks is what makes stuff,not,work right..

No noo, I know it's ram error, but,it's stable at 4ghz, Mr.Scott(old prime stable).

I tested all those overclocks extensively(sort of) and theyre all goid. Jumping dramatically between bclocks is what makes stuff,not,work right..

I think not.

Listen
Every single competitive benchmarker changes bclk while in windows, and they're able to bench and sub without issue.

You cannot. That tells me that you have something set up bad or you're asking more than your hardware can give.

Back