• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uh... my mobo died?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hc000

My computer's PSU have been broken for a while now so i ordered a new psu. Today i got my Antec True Power 430w and i tried it out on the system, no signal... tried several times still no signal. i then unplugged the cdr drive and took out the sound card and modem, no signal. i tested the comp with another hard drive and video card, no signal... i switched the ram around and tried.. no signal. then i switched a monitor STILL no signal. i am getting quite ****ed actually... is there anyway for me to see if the mobo is bad for sure ? or its something else?

comp is one 14 month old, the k byte ram is 4 month old

Specs:
Athlon ThunderBird 1.4ghz w/ 266FSB
DFI AD72-SN
1x256MB Generic PC2100 ram
1x256MB K-Byte PC2100 ram
40gb wd hdd
Antec True Power 430w
PNY Geforce2 Pro 64MB ddr

I would definately try another processor before replacing the Motherboard, they are much more likely to have been friend from a bad psu than the MB. but before you buy anything, inspect ur MB closely for any burn spots near the voltage distributor chips and capacitors.

If all is well there, look at ur cpu.

Ive never known bad cpus to cause a no power situation? They will always give power on, but no post or anything.

power does turn on, the fan turns, hdd starts to spin the led on the mobo turns on but it won't post.

Hc000 said:
power does turn on, the fan turns, hdd starts to spin the led on the mobo turns on but it won't post.

Now ur screwed :( I dunno, could be CPU or boad or both. My father in law just burnt up his board and proc. We thought it was only the proc but it turned out is took the board out. Probly need to find another board or proc to test it with.. If you dont have anything around, usually a local pc shop will test for free, or maybe 10 dollar charge.

did your burnt cpu/mobo smell bad ? i don't smell anything burnt. if i try a new cpu on that mobo, will it fry the cpu ? or if i try that cpu on a new mobo will it fry the new mobo?

Hc000 said:
did your burnt cpu/mobo smell bad ? i don't smell anything burnt. if i try a new cpu on that mobo, will it fry the cpu ? or if i try that cpu on a new mobo will it fry the new mobo?

No on either one. If the CPU is dead and you try it on a new mobo, it just wont post. If you try a dead mobo with a good cpu, itll do the same thing. Id more or less be inclined to say its your processor just for the fact that your systme isnt posting at all (no beep codes or anything) and you do have power to it. But i could be wrong.

i second the processor vote because it is very rare that your led on the mobo would light up if it was ur mobo. remove the heatsink and inspect your processor, hopefully u can RMA it if you bought it recently, if not try it anyway, some places are nice about such things.

Hc000 said:

I had the same exact thing happen to me a few months ago , I thought it was the mobo and ordered a new one . Turned out to be I got a little too sloppy with the AS3 and got a little on the bridges. I cleaned the CPU off and everything worked fine.

hkgonra said:

I had the same exact thing happen to me a few months ago , I thought it was the mobo and ordered a new one . Turned out to be I got a little too sloppy with the AS3 and got a little on the bridges. I cleaned the CPU off and everything worked fine.

the comp was bought a 14 months ago, its been working fine until last month. i have never taken the heatsink off or tamper with it, do u think i need to reapply as3?

well you definately need to inspect your cpu, and you should reapply your AS3 when you put the processor back in after testing another processor. You might be able to take the cpu to Compusa and see if they will test it, or like mentioned before just take it to a local shop or a friend. I know how you feel man, i've burnt up a few Athlon series processors in my day with things like pump failures, etc. Good luck man and let us know.:cool:

got cpu off, looks fine i got a AYHJA stepping :) i think my mobo is the problem..

you should also be able to take that to compusa for a test. (test first, buy later). or if you ebay, buy, test, and resell if wrong. You got a 50/50 chance. If you do go that route, I would do mobo just because you could probably get more back out of it and that's what's imortant in the long run.

Back