• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Used 1155 cpu or time to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree, you cannot ignore them. Verifying the PSU is outputting proper voltages is critical. But as noted, you need to verify the motherboard's divider/regulator circuits are working too. HOWEVER, the fact your CPU, RAM, and graphics processors are working sure suggests those voltage are "probably" correct. That said, because the system (typically the chipset) temp is way off too, I agree it would be good to check them too if re-flashing the BIOS firmware does not clear this.

So how do you verify temps? That's not too easy. What I recommend you get a decent laser guided IR thermometer gun. Because you can't get past heatsinks or zap through fans, you will not be able to confirm actual temps. But you can come close. If possible, point the laser at the base of the heatsink, on memory chips on your RAM sticks and (if possible, graphic card).

How do you verify motherboard voltages? That's a greater challenge without a schematic showing test points or expected voltages. Checking voltages on motherboard fan headers will show your +12V. And there should +5 on the USB connectors as seen here.

I personally don't believe you are facing immediate risk of motherboard failure so there is not an immediate need to upgrade. But if re-flashing does not clear this, then I sure would recommend you start building your budget and start looking to replace it sooner rather than later.

And by all means, you should immediately back up any data you don't want to lose - just in case.

I flashed the bios with afudos. Didn't fix the problem. Got a NCBlock verification error when I was flashing. It seems okay but if it breaks anything else that would suck.

I have been looking at these new ryzen cpus looks like the way to go . https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pvtBsZ

Comments? It's the cheapest thing I could build in 5minutes lol

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to pick up a cheap 1155 board on eBay or "move up" to a cheap Haswell combo. I'm assuming you are not ready to move on to DDR4?

Idk.. it sounds like a use at your own risk situation . I have been using it and it's been working. Hope it doesnt fry my new gpu..

I dont really want to replace the mobo on this thing again.
It looks like I can get a cheap mobo ryzen 2600 and ram for a little under 300 so when it stops working I'll get that probably.

Well you made a great choice on the new PSU. With the price of the 2600 right now, I would agree that it is the way to go for a new system.

If you generally keep your gear for as long as youve kept that rig it may be wise to start a new rig fund. That way you can get a higher end/more current cpu and mb.
GL!

Back