• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore, Vdd, Vddq modded X800XT-PE....air cooled!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
felinusz said:
Krag, great work on that air-cooling, it looks awesome :)

A word of advice/warning - be *VERY CAREFUL* with the VDDQ voltage. I did a bit of reading on the subject a while back; raising it too high, or at all, can totally wonk your memory. It's the voltage for input/output buffers, and affects the memory and GPU bus. It typically isn't a bottleneck, and gains from raising it will probably be small, and lifespan-shortening.

Partially right. With previous GDDR-I and GDDR-II memory running Vddq high and/or above Vdd
would ding the memory OC. With the exception of Samsung 8E's which like the Vddq a little hotter
than nominal spec (and right where ATI had it BTW) Vddq at or a bit below nominal spec worked
best in most cases.

This new Samsung GDDR-III is a different animal and likes it's Vddq run hot and above Vdd (again
exactly how ATI have the memory voltages setup stock) which is against decidedly against
Samsungs spec that Vddq should always be lower than Vdd. ATI knew what is was doing lol!
These new Sammy GDDR-III chips typically do not respond to Vdd increases without a
corresponding increase in Vddq to go along with it. Kraigs Vdd is running right at the high end
of samsungs nominal spec for it and Vddq is running .050 volts above it. Fairly soft really
considering Samsung DDR-I RA chips were often run with VDD a full 1/2 volt above nominal spec.

Note that the GDDR-III chips ran a bit cooler than say Samsung 8E chips at stock voltages but
heat dissapation went up rapidly and radically with increased memory voltages. TM's have no
place on Vmodded Samsung GDDR-III chips.

I am still playing it safe with Vcore increases here pending more data.

Viper

ViperJohn,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

so nice to see you here.
I realy like the work you've done on krag's card. :clap:

btw, I'm about to do a home made geto job for my x800pro.
sofar I have a vga silencer added.
it was your fine work that gave me the idea of running fans at the side of the card's bga sinks...since there is no room to mount a fan on top of the sinks were the vga silencer sits.

I have 4-40mm fans comming from krag as we speak.
the mounting of the fans will be more geto then you, as I'll be using cardboard/tape/glue to mount them to my card.
(add a drop of UV paint and watch her glow)

if only I hit the lotto, you would be seeing my card real soon...
you do some fine work there buddy.

anyway, it's time for me to find some sinks that will fit under my silencer.

mica

Kraggy, please check your pm. I've sent you my mailing addy so you can go ahead and send me that x800 XT. :p

Nice job bud. :clap:

micamica1217 said:
ViperJohn,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

so nice to see you here.
I realy like the work you've done on krag's card. :clap:

btw, I'm about to do a home made geto job for my x800pro. sofar I have a vga silencer added. it was your fine work that gave me the idea of running fans at the side of the card's bga sinks...since there is no room to mount a fan on top of the sinks were the vga silencer sits.

I have 4-40mm fans comming from krag as we speak. the mounting of the fans will be more geto then you, as I'll be using cardboard/tape/glue to mount them to my card. (add a drop of UV paint and watch her glow)

if only I hit the lotto, you would be seeing my card real soon... you do some fine work there buddy.

anyway, it's time for me to find some sinks that will fit under my silencer.

mica

Why Thank You!!!

Just remember that while the VGA Silencer is WAY better than a Zalman or TT Giant it is not
that much better than the a stock x800 GPU cooler (which are not to bad considering a cheap
high production unit. Their mounting can suck though...just ask Kraig!!! He was about to RMA
his card it performed so badly with the cooler mount he had right out of the box. None of them
are anywhere near a match for a CPU cooler (gee no big surprise there LOL!)

Also note the x800's on card temp sensor can be off by +/- 6C or so. If you are going to use
the stock temp readout bring it up so it is displayed on the screen and then start your bench
marking (repeating 3DM01se Nature with title screens disabled put the most heat into the core)
on top of it. When you exit the benchmark your temp reading will be immediately available
that way. If you exit the benchmark and then go through the ATI Control Panel to get the
temp display afterward the reading will have already dropped a few to several degrees
depending on how fast you get the temp display opened.

Ordinarily an Active Memory Cooler isn't needed and produces little or nothing with my Super
Sinks with Air Cooled GPU's. With WC it is another issue as you do not a have the GPU fan
stirring up the air in the area. There are chip/case air temp specific exceptions of course but
I am speaking in general here and with previous memory chips used.

The DDR-III chip temp went up rapidly with voltages applied and a card top ACM did help, at
least with Kraig's card anyway. It may or may not with others. They isn't enough data yet
to draw any avarage or typical conclusions at this point.

Viper

ViperJohn said:
Why Thank You!!!

Just remember that while the VGA Silencer is WAY better than a Zalman or TT Giant it is not
that much better than the a stock x800 GPU cooler (which are not to bad considering a cheap
high production unit. Their mounting can suck though...just ask Kraig!!! He was about to RMA
his card it performed so badly with the cooler mount he had right out of the box. None of them
are anywhere near a match for a CPU cooler (gee no big surprise there LOL!)

Also note the x800's on card temp sensor can be off by +/- 6C or so. If you are going to use
the stock temp readout bring it up so it is displayed on the screen and then start your bench
marking (repeating 3DM01se Nature with title screens disabled put the most heat into the core)
on top of it. When you exit the benchmark your temp reading will be immediately available
that way. If you exit the benchmark and then go through the ATI Control Panel to get the
temp display afterward the reading will have already dropped a few to several degrees
depending on how fast you get the temp display opened.

Ordinarily an Active Memory Cooler isn't needed and produces little or nothing with my Super
Sinks with Air Cooled GPU's. With WC it is another issue as you do not a have the GPU fan
stirring up the air in the area. There are chip/case air temp specific exceptions of course but
I am speaking in general here and with previous memory chips used.

The DDR-III chip temp went up rapidly with voltages applied and a card top ACM did help, at
least with Kraig's card anyway. It may or may not with others. They isn't enough data yet
to draw any avarage or typical conclusions at this point.

Viper

WOW, thanks for the long reply and added info.

btw, I use ATItool for temps, so once I stop demo loops, I see my temps in the taskbar near my clock right away.
using it for OCing as well, as I like to return to stock speeds once I stop gaming or benching.

the vga silencer may not be the best, yet it lowered my temps by 10c-20c (depending on my OC) as compared to my stock ATI HSF...man them temps looked high to me.
I also have poor case cooling as to keep things quiet (wife's orders), so having the warm air go out of my case, keeps case temps down by at least 1c-2c with heavy gaming....yet I'm quite sure your CPU sink is far better in the long run for max OC.

I don't have any knowlage as compared to you on the sammy DDR3 chips, yet they get realy hot...and have already burned my finger on them.
this is why I'm holding off looking for my max stable OC, till I get some better cooling for them.

because I've already spent all my spare cash on the little lady (yeah, like I didn't spend any money on my new x800pro), I must go home brew on my vid card ram...yet I've seen your work (on your web site) for quite some time, and one day you might hear from me.

I'm not going to do any voltage mods (yet I did fail the extra pipe mod),
I'm just a ferm believer of good cooling when OCing.

again, thanks for the added info.

mica

Last edited:
WheaT said:
Well thank you very much viperjohn, just rub it in more why dontcha ;)

LOL...I see you have an AS. They are a whole bunch better than a stock 9700/9800 cooler
and they are by far the best "off the shelf" store bought solution at reasonable cost. They
look a lot better (at least to me anyway) than the Zalmans and Giant's they blow in the
weeds cooling wise. While they lack the cooling ability for running high Vcore it wasn't their
design target either. They are reasonbly quite and do not take up a lot of room. Getting the
hot air out of the "coffin corner" doesn't hurt either but fitting ramsinks can be a problem.

Viper

Last edited:
ViperJohn said:
I/O voltage for the memory chips. GPU I/O is a separate issue.

Viper

Hey bro, do you have a work bench where you do all you work? Could you post a pic of it so we can all worship at the altar? Heh! :attn:

Kinda like getting a peek at Santas work shop............. :santa:

Awwww yeah! 14K goodness!!

I swapped out my cpu for the Ol' northy & got my EB 3700 in today and gave the trimmer a turn & a half to 1.58v I ran this bench at 635/625

Attachments

• 14k onoins.JPG
    14k onoins.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 683
Holy god, that's nuts! You're approaching my 2001 score!

BTW, what is your 2001 score? :D ?

Get rid of that Northwood and buy a 3.4EE. Do the volt mods to the mobo and invest into prometia so you can gain an even higher score. Dont just settle for an excelt mod to the video card itself. Go all out since you got the money.

krag said:
Awwww yeah! 14K goodness!!

I swapped out my cpu for the Ol' northy & got my EB 3700 in today and gave the trimmer a turn & a half to 1.58v I ran this bench at 635/625

pushing it past what John got your card to, seems to be the ticket as well.
nice score.... :clap:

OT:sent the payment this afternoon. ty.

mica

First, congratulations on that score! I never would have believed this generation of cards would be so strong....wow
As for the mods- those are the nicest I have seen. Incredible. :drool:

It just keeps getting better, 630/621 with the new official Cat 4.7

Attachments

• cat 47 630 621.JPG
    cat 47 630 621.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 903
Does that guy sell the cards already modded with the heatsinks and everything on them and how much would he charge for the Xt-Pe?

krag said:
It just keeps getting better, 630/621 with the new official Cat 4.7

Dang I am better than I thought LOL. Way to go Kraig! Be sure Keep an eye on that core temp readout.

Viper

Back