• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very poor results with a new GF4 TI4600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The problem is that you are basing your scores off of the Radeon 8500. You should realize that a XP 2000+ with a GeForce 3 Ti 500 will score around 8000. So, you aren't paying $400 for 1000 points in 3DMark 2001. In fact it's more like 2500 out of the box plus twin vertex shaders and higher FSAA capability.

The Radeon has traditionally done well in 3DMark testing but can't hold a candle to the GeForce 3Ti 500 in terms of gaming horsepower...let alone the GeForce 4 Ti 4600..

Additionally the GF4 let's you run 4X FSAA at higher resolutions than the Radeon.

And one question, if all you do is benchmark...Is the $300 dollars you already spent on your Radeon worth it for benchmarking alone? It's kind of like buying a 5.1 Dolby Digital receiver and only using it for 2 channel audio...

TranceBear said:

Your kidding right? I think you may have lost the whole point of my post...nevermind.

Trance I see your point, and I reiterate that the 8500 retail for $150 is still the best bang for the buck at this time.

When you compare apples to apples the 8500 wins :burn:

I personally have no loyalty to either Nvida's or ATI's board of directors.My two cards have been ATI not by choice but by availability and $'s.

I would love to have my next card be a Ge-force,but while the 8500's price is falling,Ge-forces' price stays the same???

I think I will have to buy another ATI card on principle alone.Dosen't seem like Nvida wants my buisness,and what would they be like without competition?Maybe like Intel and Rambus.

Intresting thread,and pretty helpful for me.

you have not been checking prices lately have you? gf3 ti200 is around $110, gf3 is $140, and ti500 is $230, they have fallen ALOT, when the gf4 came out, within two weeks, price dropped $25 - $50...id say thats a big drop....i have had ati cards, and i have an nvidia card, i like the nvidia alot better, excellent speed, excellent overclockability, good quality, good price, and my card has not failed me once, but from all the ati cards ive had over the years, i cannot say the same thing....if i were you, id get nvidia, one because they are always updating drivers and such, and the sole reason (even though Ati as mostly fixed the problems) that when they released the card, it was screwed because they were in a hurry to get the card on the market, and didnt have time to finish their drivers.....but anyway...just my opinion

RangerJoe said:
you have not been checking prices lately have you? gf3 ti200 is around $110, gf3 is $140, and ti500 is $230, they have fallen ALOT, when the gf4 came out, within two weeks, price dropped $25 - $50...id say thats a big drop....i have had ati cards, and i have an nvidia card, i like the nvidia alot better, excellent speed, excellent overclockability, good quality, good price, and my card has not failed me once, but from all the ati cards ive had over the years, i cannot say the same thing....if i were you, id get nvidia, one because they are always updating drivers and such, and the sole reason (even though Ati as mostly fixed the problems) that when they released the card, it was screwed because they were in a hurry to get the card on the market, and didnt have time to finish their drivers.....but anyway...just my opinion

sorry but i had to correct those prices geforce3 Ti200 is 130$ Geforce3 is 155$ and Ti500 is 230$

the Radeon8500 is 140-160$ right now....and it is ages better than the regular geforce3 and is on the same level with a Ti500 also the driver issue is outdated if you have been looking recently Ati has been spitting out drivers left and right that last 2-3 months and almost as often as Nvidia and people have been having their problems fixed and speed has gone up with these new drivers....from what ive heard the most recent drivers are close to perfect.....also many people who are comlaining about quality have not bought an Ati made card they have bought from some ghetto third party no-name taiwanese manufacturer....

according to pricewatch, ti200's start at $114, gf3's start at $145, and ti500's start at $228....i have not been keeping up with the newest drivers, im just talking about the fact that the company was in a big rush when the card was brought to the public, that they didnt fix the problems with the drivers, being a big part of the cards performance, i do realize that the newest drivers are much better, hence my saying in the last post, "even though Ati has mostly fixed the problems" and ati has been spitting out drivers left and right to correct their mistakes in ther original version, which should have been delayed in the first place, thus saving Ati from embarrassment.....i know all of that is over and such, but still, its like going to take a test at school which you havnt studied for, you do badly, but then you have to bust your *** to keep your grades up.....(im a high school student, and i have done this many times, thus why im using this example)

the problem is that the one for 114 is EVGA or Eagle or some other crap like that that isnt really reliable....

I honestly didn't want too start a slinging match.I personally feel Nvidia has a better card,although ATI is getting awefully close.

Plus I'm talking from a Canadian market where were just starting to see Nvidia in great #'s.But I just checked one site and it reflects funnyperson's numbers.

I can get a 8500 (retail),for less or the same as a Ti200.And a Ti500 is actually more than a Ti4400(both visiontek)?One Ti500(asus) is the same price as a Ti4600?

Nvidias' spinning my head with all this crap,and they still seem like they are an arrogant company.I just wished these two jokers had more competition,rather than spin-offs of Nvidia.

i repeat my question if we are all overclockers here why not buy a ti200 put a fairly good heatsink on it and oc it to ti500 or higher speeds? and then if u want get some new ramsink and OC that above ti500 speeds and save urself a lot of cash? i mean the ti200 is the same as the ti500 but with a smaller and lower clocked gpu..

Back