• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to build a farm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DayUSeX

Basically could someone price out for me a farm that would be about 400 usd.
Im hoping to get it to be 4-5 layers, and they will bascialyl fold all day. I know amd is probably the only route for this, and some direct links would be greatly apprecited. Oh yeah the farm will be fodling purley for team 33

JUST KIDDING!

well the most obvious route would be to go for
AMD xp 2400/2500 $70
refurb mobo $30
pc2100 $30
(optional) used hdd $10

i dont think this has ever been done before, but sometime soon I hope to make a farm of my own. I got my wisdom teeth out last friday and my sister buoght me a few $2 scratch tickets, and i won $1000 :) In the last month a mobo, hdd, and graphics card have all died at the same time so this is a good time for me to have gotten some money. (I gave $500 to my sister, she is the one that bought it for me). Why hasn't anyone ever made a celeron farm??? 2.4 celerons are only $68 !!! and they have SSE2 also.

I always thought Cellys had a weak FPU... perhaps that was just the old Cellys...

If you have 400USD, say 5 layers. Thats 80USD per layer. Kinda difficult I would think. But 4 layers => 100USD per layer.

Split PSUs - you need 2 decent PSUs, 4 mobos, 4 sticks of RAM, 4 CPUs, 4 CPU coolers, and one CDROM drive.

I think it should be doable?

Karbon said:
well the most obvious route would be to go for
AMD xp 2400/2500 $70
refurb mobo $30
pc2100 $30
(optional) used hdd $10

i dont think this has ever been done before, but sometime soon I hope to make a farm of my own. I got my wisdom teeth out last friday and my sister buoght me a few $2 scratch tickets, and i won $1000 :) In the last month a mobo, hdd, and graphics card have all died at the same time so this is a good time for me to have gotten some money. (I gave $500 to my sister, she is the one that bought it for me). Why hasn't anyone ever made a celeron farm??? 2.4 celerons are only $68 !!! and they have SSE2 also.

Woo! Now that is folding money if I ever saw it! :thup:

$100 layers can be done if you shop around for good deals. And remember Linux is free, and we've got an LTSP folding live CD that can make using terminal services for folding pretty straight-forward, even for a noob.

duron 1.6's are great cpus i have one in my media comp and it folds all day :p , too bad f@h isnt multi threaded so i could have 2ghz more power if i put it on my quad 500 :(

SK8 said:
duron 1.6's are great cpus i have one in my media comp and it folds all day :p , too bad f@h isnt multi threaded so i could have 2ghz more power if i put it on my quad 500 :(

You can put it on your quad 500 - AFAIK you can run 8 instances per machine :)

I've got a Dell Celery 2.4GHz and it's a dog. Never saw it fold a Dgromac, but on regular gromacs, it can't break 400ppw. My 2.26GHz P4 Dell smokes it six ways from Sunday. But hey, any borg making 400ppw is still worthwhile.

I recommend you hit our classifieds section.

** using giant bull horn **

MUSTANLEY..... BACK AWAY FROM THE FARM... WE DON'T WANT TO HURT YOU

**bull horn off **

just kidding.

as for the celly I just borged 8 of them (standard dells) from an office that I did the installs on there there not really pulling in the big numbers for me. I think you would get more PPW from a slower non-celly with a slight overclock.

just my thoughts

** Keeps eye on MUSTANLEY **

Don't worry about me farming anything nahmus. The closest thing I've got are 3 gaming rigs at home and one low end P3 that I use to watch TV. The major powah comes from the 30 or so Dells that I admin at work (only one celery in the bunch).

I suggest you look for some Government FOLD Farming subsidies.

Back