• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which CPU should I choose?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As I just did over in the motherboard section, there is a Gigabyte UD3R SLI mobo out that supports both X-fire and SLI according to Giga's website. At the 'Egg, its $209 with no rebate. Might want to take a look at that board IF you ever wanted dual GPU's. The regular UD3R is $209 as well but has a rebate attached to it. Not sure how much that corsair memory is but the G skill is on sale for $100 for 6G (3x2G). So might want to check that out as well :)

As I just did over in the motherboard section, there is a Gigabyte UD3R SLI mobo out that supports both X-fire and SLI according to Giga's website. At the 'Egg, its $209 with no rebate. Might want to take a look at that board IF you ever wanted dual GPU's. The regular UD3R is $209 as well but has a rebate attached to it. Not sure how much that corsair memory is but the G skill is on sale for $100 for 6G (3x2G). So might want to check that out as well :)

The UD3R I had is the one with Crossfire :) Dual ATI GPU is possible with that one, and I'll take the HD4870 (@ 800MHz / 3700 MHz). Later on I'll add another one.

But when I'm not satisfied with the HD4870, I'll also have to choose another motherboard if I'm going Nvidia (to put them in SLI).. That's sh*t XD

Something was said earlier about changing a multi on the Q9550; unless you get a engineering sample then you won't be able to do that. Still, overclocking to 3ghz shouldn't be too difficult anyway.

As far as the setup goes, only get the i7 if you feel like spending that much on the cpu+mb+ram. I don't know about your strange european currency (Strange being as its worth so much. :)) or where you order your stuff, but the price difference between the i7+mb+ram and the C2Q+mb+ram should be about the same as the difference between a 4870 and a 4850x2. And unless I'm terribly mistaken, a Q9550+4850x2 will beat a i7+4870 in games.

Or, you can get the C2Q and the 4870 (or a 4850) and spend the extra money on something that will actually hold its value. :)

With his budget he can afford to build a core i7 and get a nice card. Boards are getting cheaper and so is ram. Just one month ago and we have almost 33% reduction in price on ram and the 200$ motherboards are surfacing already.

ahhhh... The board I'm referring to supports both.... It can do either, at least that what Giga claims. That's just an option if you ever decide to go Nvidia... I'm not partial to either but just want to keep my options open if I ever went dual GPU's

Something was said earlier about changing a multi on the Q9550; unless you get a engineering sample then you won't be able to do that. Still, overclocking to 3ghz shouldn't be too difficult anyway.

As far as the setup goes, only get the i7 if you feel like spending that much on the cpu+mb+ram. I don't know about your strange european currency (Strange being as its worth so much. :)) or where you order your stuff, but the price difference between the i7+mb+ram and the C2Q+mb+ram should be about the same as the difference between a 4870 and a 4850x2. And unless I'm terribly mistaken, a Q9550+4850x2 will beat a i7+4870 in games.

Or, you can get the C2Q and the 4870 (or a 4850) and spend the extra money on something that will actually hold its value. :)

My budget is around 1600-1700$.

I'm thinking of taking the i7 combined with a EX58-UD3R motherboard, a DDR3-1600 RAM and a HD4870 GPU, and I will probably add another HD4870 in Crossfire later on.

I'm going to read some articles about RAM and so, because I don't know anything about how it works.

Back