• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which language is used the most in today's market?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I do supose you are correct, computers are so fast now, people don't care if the software is bloated, Hence VB, and now I guess Java, being Popular

Cowboy Shane said:

I work in the real world, and I work at a Delphi shop. That means that nearly everything I write at work is written in Object Pascal. Of course, we are planning migration strategies for c# should .net trully replace win32 as the preferred programming environment for Windows, but Pascal is definately not just a toy language.

REally? Object Pascal huh? Is that a version with a GUI? That would be kewl, I loved my Pascal class.

Delphi is a rapid application development environment similar to Visual Basic, but it uses Pascal for its language. It's closer to Borland's C++ builder than it is to VB, but you get the idea.

Cowboy Shane said:
Delphi is a rapid application development environment similar to Visual Basic, but it uses Pascal for its language. It's closer to Borland's C++ builder than it is to VB, but you get the idea.

I LOVED Delphi when I used it at my old job. Very easy. Pascal is one of the easiest languages I have run across to learn and use, plus it can do everything that C++ can. Borland really pushed it in the 90's, but it for some reason people just don't want to migrate from their favorite C language. Frankly, it's harder to make silly coding errors in Pascal than it is in C. Come to think of it, Borland's compiler and development tools make it so easy to program it's more like a game than programming.

*sigh* I miss programming sometimes.

Borland's compiler and development tools make it so easy to program it's more like a game than programming.

well,programming for me is like a game now. I really wouldnt be programming that much except I love to find places to use equations that in real life are hardly used, in such applications like games.

the problem is, VB.NET is slow as crud, JAVA still cant do trig mathematics worth a darn. Also, JAVA may be portable, but it is still almost as slow as VB.

if you had to go with one language, I would recommend C#, as it:

1) has the productivity seen in languages such as JAVA/VB

2) has the speed to be useful, at around 98% of the speed compared to C++. and with the optimized MS compiler, its speed surpasses GCC C.

3) when Longhorn comes out and makes .NET the native framework, it will supercede C++ is speed(this has been proven in preliminary benchmarks by MS, comparing VC++ to VC#).

Roof Jumper said:
the problem is, VB.NET is slow as crud, JAVA still cant do trig mathematics worth a darn. Also, JAVA may be portable, but it is still almost as slow as VB.

I'm not aware of any benchmarks that show a significant difference in speed between VB.Net and C#.Net. Most of the heavy functionality is in the Base Class Libraries and both use that equally. There are only minor differences in the IL produced in typical applications.

In fact, using built in VB functions that have analogs in the .Net classes also reveal very small differences in performance. For instance, Ucase(MyString) produces different IL than MyString.ToUpper but according to Microsoft folks the difference is insignificant.

As Tacoman667's choices, clearly I lean towards .Net languages but the truth of the matter is as other folks stated well, all languages do the same stuff, even COBOL. Most of the rest is just a matter of style.

Is there a significant difference in the non-.net and the .net languages? I mean is .net just added to C++ or is the language actually revamped to create the .net version?

C#.Net is a semi new language. It is essentially a M$ version of Java because M$ and Sun don't play well together. C++.Net remains about the same. .Net compliance was built in by using some libraries that are new/different, but from what I understand, it didn't change much. VB.Net is radically different than VB.

i wanna learn c# on my own time, but i dont have the resources to get one (other than a warez version of .net :p ), and i have no money to go out and pay for an educational version of one (wtf, microsoft is CHARGING people to LEARN how to use their software so they can put the language to use.

i ALMOST got a copy of visual studios.net 2004 professional! they were giving one away at my school as a promotional tool, and it was down to me and like 7 other people. and some a$$wad won it. makes me so mad. its still shrinkwrapped in his bedroom somewhere, hasnt even opened it! whereas if id gotten it i wouldn't be here, id be beating that thing to a pulp learning every little bit about it i could, makes me so mad.

anybody know anywhere i can find a good free educational compiler and some guides for learning on it in a popular language that i could put to good use in the future?

Back