• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who still uses an Athlon XP? Let's reminisce.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

I have been noticing a lot of people in the video card section wanting to upgrade the cards on their Athlon XP computers. I wouldn't think anyone who was serious about wanting to play any sort of games would still have that. I moved to a socket 754 Sempron in feb '05 and my dad's gaming rig moved to a C2D in december '07. I regret having moved to socket 754. My overclock on my 1.4Ghz Applebred Duron and later Barton 2500+ were incredible with my 2 x 256MB sticks of Winbond CH-5 on the volt modded DFI Ultra Infinity I bought on these forums. I have never been so happy overclocking since. :(

Only recently have I gotten my DDR2 to run as fast as that Winbond CH-5 did almost 5 years ago.

My first computer was the 1.4Ghz Duron I previously mentioned mated to a shuttle MN31N that ran the nForce2 IGP. I could actually play my games at decent frame rates with the system overclocked. This was at the end of '03. The only things I still have are the processor and the hard drive. Speaking of which, I have two Shuttle AN35N's in working order (I think), which were one of the top boards for the socket A platform, a Barton, and an Applebred Duron. I have been debating chucking it all as it wastes space and I don't have any working PCI or AGP video cards as I killed a 6800LE and X800XT within the past month.

The only Athlon we still have in service is about to be decommissioned, and is the oldest hardware we have in the house. It is a Compaq Presario with an Athlon XP 1700+, the 180nm kind with the ceramic packaging. My step dad bought it new in the fall of '01 when the XP just came out. I have the earliest Athlon XP, and the last. This is what prompted me to share my tale and seek info from modern day and once upon a time users of Athlon XP's. I don't have any nostalgia for any computer hardware other than these processors and their motherboards, which is why I am finding it so difficult to chuck the stuff I have.

My athlon xp machine i sold to a friend when 939 just came out ( then i went and bought a 2800+ 754 cuz they were dirt cheap and oc'ed very well). He is still using it till this day.

He plays wow on it 2800+ tbird oc'ed (not sure to what been forever since we talked about his computer lol)
2x2 sticks of geil ddr 400 the ones with the blue chip coolers on them,
soltek mobo
two 40 gig hds in raid
he had a 9600xt radeon but i think he just recently snagged a x1800 or something like that off craigslist for dirt cheap. just cuz after wrath his fps went to crap.

but still its funny to see him still going strong on them parts i bought brand new and payed a fortune for.

I used my 754 socket up until last year i believe. when my buddy offered me his 939 dual core for cheap which i just sold to get this p2 (movin on up to the east side :p )

Anyway now my gf's bro uses my old 754 socket oc'ed to 2.6 on that with 2 gigs of kingston, x800 i think he got off a buddy with a mod or something done to it. with my old 80 and 40 gig hds and that baby is still going strong also.
Had a epox board in it that worked well for ocing (wish they were still alive :(

anyway just wanted to share some of my years of being a amd fanboi :)

btw i loved my 754 socket so bad i was going to buy a dfi board with pci express 16x on it, so i could upgrade the video card max out my memory etc lol. Just cause i loved that machine so much, but i knew i had to let it go lol

Also how my old junky gaming machiens stay going is i tend to be a config w******! lol until just now i usually run fps configs on anything i play so with that i usually can play anything just looks like n64 lol.

Last edited:
Not an AXP, but I still use a mATX Duron 1.3GHz on many occasions. Mostly web browsing/email/IM.

I Have an XP @ 2400 Mhz system in my daughters room with a 2600 pro GFX card and 2 gigs of Mushkin. I can play all but some of the more demanding games in single player mode just fine and online gaming is ok with GFX at min so honestly I don't see a problem with it as it is cheaper to buy a card than a system to get a few more frames.

I have a 2200+ XP I just got in today. lol The lady told me if I got the documents off of it she needed for a trail date she'd give me the PC. it got virused but it wasnt nothing using a external adaptor didnt fix.

I have an Athlon 1400 MHz chip in my temporary web server, a 2000+ or 2100+ XP chip in my HTPC (previously used the chip in a desktop) and I plan on keeping at least my HTPC with an XP for a while. Maybe a faster one though. My dual Athlon MP setup, pin modded to 2400+ per cpu, died on me a while ago and I never got a chance to test the board. If I did I might use that for a server or something. I still use plenty of older hardware, its cheaper, easier to replace and it gets the job done fine. Plus overclocking and modding it is funner IMO.

I'm actually about to give a barton 2500+ some life again, as my tv tuning pc in my room. XD

I think i've got together...

barton 2500+ w/ some old 1337 sink i can't remember the name
abit nf7-s
768mb of ram
GF5200 w/ 128mb ram
30gig harddrive
old sound blaster card
wireless card
antec 350watt psu

and tv tuner i have yet to buy

I was using this all the way up until the i7 came out:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ AXMH 2500 FQQ4C
IQYHA 0348 SPMW
2 x 512MB Centon PC3200 (Samsung chips) @ 9 4 4 3
[200] FSB x 12.5 = 2500 MHz @ 1.87 Vcore with memory frequency at 100% [200 FSB] @ 2.90 Vdimm and 1.6 Vdd
nForce2 Epox 8RDA3+ v2.1, BIOS 07/29/2004
Thermalright SLK-900A with 80x38mm Delta EFB0812HHE fan
Geforce 6800 256MB; Antec SX-835II case ; 500W OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS
Five 80x25mm Case Fans

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 TOP Radeon HD 4850 512MB @ 680 MHz GPU & 2100 MHz Memory
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=595403

I upgraded my server to an Intel Atom system to save power a few weeks ago to save power.

The old one was a socket A Athlon with a 1.33ghz thunderbird chip in it. I thought it would be cool to build another system just for fun, and max everything out for it that was avalible for that platform. I spent $80 for a mobile barton 2500+ and a geforce 6800GT OC edition. Still waiting on the vid card to come in, but I cant wait to start fooling around with it and running some benchmarks. another good use for it is to play some older games that will only run on windows xp or windows 98.
My hardware all holds a senemental value so I can almost NEVER throw stuff away or even sell it.
I sold my previous barton rig to a friend and missed it a lot so thats kinda why I built this new one. I have been spending lots of time customizing the case, doing wire management , etc and I love it. its more fun when it doesnt have to be top of the line and all the parts are cheap!

My XP 2100+ gave out last summer - killed by a lightning strike. :( That same outage also nailed a video card in another rig, but a cheap one, thank goodness! The XP was a great machine for three years until I built my s939 sig rig, then it got put on SETI duty, where it crunched for another two years until Mother Nature said "Enough!" ...

I did have an old athlon xp-m 2600+ that finally died a few weeks ago during a suicide OC...Those chips were SOLID. Cheap chips that could run 400fsb/2.2ghz...Saved myself damn near 150$ by oc'ing the hell out of that chip. GREAT memories.

I have been noticing a lot of people in the video card section wanting to upgrade the cards on their Athlon XP computers.

I did in late 2007, with a GeForce 7600 GS 256 MB.

Because I didn't do a major upgrade until September 24, 2008.

Didn't have dual core until September, 2008.

i still use my old xp 2600+ running stock now on a abit nf7s mobo with a sapphire 9800xt graphics card,
it still runs 24/7 most the time but it is a bit slow now and it has the occasional system crash but i think its cos it needs new as5 on the cpu its been on since 2004 or earlier

A few of my buddies have AXP 3000+ systems with 9800pros, still rocks for games like hl2 at lower res'

I am a non gamer, so I don't have to reminisce...I still have two xp systems up & running. The first is an NF7S-S V.2 with an xp-m 2600 Barton @ 2315 Mhz. It is used mostly for surfing, burning CD's & DVD's of the many pixes & videos of my Granddaughter. I have it in a nice CoolerMaster case, a 256Mb card, a multi-card reader, an LG combo DVD/CD burner, Blue Storm II 500w. psu, 120mm fans front & rear, 100mm side fan, Enziotech all copper N.B cooler, cable broadband access. All in all...a very nice set up....slow by today's standards...but an excellent basic system....I think I will hang onto it for a while longer...:).

The 2nd xp system is an A7N8X-X with an xp 2600 Thoroughbred @ 2300Mhz. This system is used by my Granddaughter to play her little games...and she has already learned how to use the mouse to move the pointer to where she wants it and left click....at only 2 1/2 years old...amazing.! This one is also hooked up to my router and both have XP Pro, and is fully functional.

Those "old" systems are still very functional and useful...especially if one is not a gamer....like myself and lots of other people.

Oh...and "old" doesn't have to mean useless....I am almost 58 yrs. old....and I still have lots of usefulness left in these old bones...:clap:

I still have the classic A7N8X with a 2600 Mobil clocked at 2.2 gigs at 400FSB in my sig.
It is used as a work computer. It is totally stable and the operating system is almost four years old.

As far as internet surfing it is as fast as my 939 rig.
The dual core 939 starts up faster and opens programs allot faster though.

Still using my 2800 locked barton OC'ed to 3200 PR on an Abit AN-7. It runs BOINC for WCG 24/7 and serves as shared storage and music server.

Back