• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do pelts need special power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, noone he knows or will know has ever done watercoolign and pelt, ive read every article i can find, and am very sure i cna do thsi quite pinlessly.. this guy just won 10 million dollers in a lawsuit, he wnats to but a 6 room house, add a studio, and 2 lan party rooms, full of pcs, and flatscreen tv's...now, he says he knows the risks, i even warned ghim, but since im building teh same pc, i will build it first....if somthing goes wrong, i lose a cpu, and he says he will pay me if i go first (the price it will cost if it breaks) as long as his works.... lol....hes a nice guy! so were bot getting fx-51 and fx-53 from new eg cause you cnat get two 53's at one time....2 gigs of ram for him, a notehr gig for the other computer i built him, 2 74 raptors, 4 160 gb harddries, the x800xt and the 6800 ultra, just to test which one is better...this kid is an ego freak, he wants the best of the ebst, and oc it to past the best....HE DONT CARE OF TEH RISKS AS LONG AS IT WORKS!! And thats the exact thing he told me last night...

Last edited:
wow.... well from the sounds of that hardware, forget all about the pelt and watercooling, what you want is direct dye phase change. Normally these things are too expensive to consider, but compared to that system, they are nothing. Get yourself a VapoChill or Mach2, they are way better than a pelt. They are also easier to install. You basically just strap them on and install everything, and your more or less good to go.

matttheniceguy said:
wow.... well from the sounds of that hardware, forget all about the pelt and watercooling, what you want is direct dye phase change. Normally these things are too expensive to consider, but compared to that system, they are nothing. Get yourself a VapoChill or Mach2, they are way better than a pelt. They are also easier to install. You basically just strap them on and install everything, and your more or less good to go.

I agree with matttheniceguy it will be easier for you and better for him

its looks ugly, and the two main things he wanst is a nice looking computer, and an uber pc to boot.... If i got phase change or anything like that there are thoseugly added case boxes, huge compressors, ugly hoses, and etc...he dont want that, and i even asked him about it many times, i told him pelt is just this little plate, and it was less noticable with nice cooling, he jumped on it!! Besides, since he wanst to watercool the rest, he wants it too look sorta themed, all water, all fans, or all passive, i really dont wanan think about 4 phase changers in 1 system, and being able to go to lans with it.. :beer:... and watercooling/pelt seems to be less heavy, and better looking than a mach 2.....(hes getting blue uv dye, like all uv blue sleeves and cables, even some blue fans.....Its gonna be shweet looking!! :attn: :attn: HE WANTS EVERYONE TO :drool: OVER HIS SYSYEM!! and im helping as much as i can....Mach 2 is just overkill..... -34 degrees celcius for what!! Even when you oc, it will be -20, he dont need negatives after hes maxed ocing....no point to that kinda cooling..... as long as its cool, and oc's well, looks good, and is easier to carry....he is mondo happy....I cant explain it enough to tell his exact thinking, but thats what he wants!!!

Last edited:
There is only one thing that will make people :drool: more than an FX-53 on a mach 2, an FX-53 on a cascade. Since doing this would probably result in your death, I'd say to go mach 2.

If you don't like the look, get a Vapochill LS, XL, or SE. You can put the LS with a Lian Li case, which you can get modded like mad if you don't want to do it, or get the XL or SE which are full cases with the compressor in the top. They look pretty good in my opinion.

A pelt won't look that much better or be much smaller. Pelt's will require the whole extra powersuppy, and lots of insulation which you will probably have to do yourself, so it probably won't look all that clean or professional. It will also require a huge water cooler, with the whole pump and heatercore to deal with. Fitting this into a small case is no easy feat.

Overall I would say that pelts arn't really such a good idea for your needs. They are a pain to set up, suck tonnes of power, and require a lot of attention. They are more suited to the nutcase like me who spends way too much time messing with his computer.

If you want extreme cooling, get a phase change system. If you don't need one (which you really don't, you said it yourself) then just use regular watercooling. You can build a system that will be quieter, suck less power, can look VERY good, and will still cool as well as you need it to.

About peltier PSUs, I got my 24V, 15A PSU on eBay for $9 plus shipping.

You can get a dedicated powersupply on eBay for dirt cheap if you look around, there is no need for extravagant measures like 660W PSUS with dual 12V lines ;)

Just my $0.02 :)

Here's the pics I promised a couple of days ago, I finished it up this weekend. Incidently, that's not blood on the transformer or anything, the manufacturer musta got a little happy with the sealant lacquer.

Final specs...

3.3v @ 25A
5v @ 25A
12v @ 5A
18V @ 20A

All fit into a 10x10x10 cube surplus box. Total cost out of my pocket was about $50, maybe a little less, but I did use a handfull of small components (connectors, heat shrink, etc) that I already had on hand. I'll probably write it up for the site I review for, the editor has been after me for a power supply mod.

Dave
[email protected]

12.jpg

15.jpg

About getting that FSP 550 watt... I just did some quick math since I am getting a pelt soon.

Here are the ratings for a 226w pelt and a 169w pelt-

226W Potted Peltier:
Imax = 24 Amps
Qmax = 226.1 Watts
Vmax = 15.2 Volts
Delta Tmax = >67 (C)
Size = 50mm X 50mm X 3.10mm

169W Potted Peltier:
Imax = 16.1 Amps
Qmax = 169 Watts
Vmax = 16.4 Volts
Delta Tmax = 69 (C)
Size = 50mm X 50mm X 3.4mm

Ok, so the 226w pelt takes 24 amps at 15 volts. The PSU ofcource only puts out 12 volts... and if an AMD computer takes 16amps, 24+16=40 amps which would be too much. Now if you factor in the 15 volts, the pelt should only run at 19 amps when giving it 12 volts instead of 15 (15/24=12/x). So running the pelt off your PSU lines only draws 19 amps; if the computer takes 16 amps, 19+16amps=35 amps, which is right under the 36amp limit of the PSU. So you should be able to run a 226w pelt @12v on that FSP550 PSU. Same deal goes with the 169w pelt. If it does 16 amps at 16 volts, it should do 12 amps at 12 volts... 16+12=28amps which is also under the 36amp limit of the PSU.

So if you get that FSP550, you should be able to run a 226 or 169w pelt straight off the PSU and still run an overclocked computer. I measured the MAX amps that my motherboard and all components draw (that's where I got the # 16 amps - 2500+ mobile @ 2886MHz 222X13 2.2volts on an NF7-S rev2)

-Nico

Edit - Please tell me if my math is flawed... I'm not exactly a math major :p

Nico im sorry ur wrong, @ 2.8ghz with 2.2v ur cpu will use more then the extra 12 amps youll have left whe nur plug a 24amp hungry 226 watt pelt in the computer, so ur psu is Ineffienct to power both computer and case.

To power a Whole computer overclockedl ike urs and a 226 watt pelt ur ganna need at least 45 amps.

Heck my cpu @ 2.6ghz using 2.2v eats more then 16 amps.

CandymanCan said:
Nico im sorry ur wrong, @ 2.8ghz with 2.2v ur cpu will use more then the extra 12 amps youll have left whe nur plug a 24amp hungry 226 watt pelt in the computer, so ur psu is Ineffienct to power both computer and case.

To power a Whole computer overclockedl ike urs and a 226 watt pelt ur ganna need at least 45 amps.

Heck my cpu @ 2.6ghz using 2.2v eats more then 16 amps.

My system eats ~16.5 amps at 2.88ghz 2.2v.

The pelt should eat 19 amps correct? Imax = 24 Amps.... BUT thats at 15.2 volts. PSU only gives 12volts... hence it should only use 19 amps, no?

My PSU can do 36 amps. My system eats 16. Pelt uses 19@12volts. 16+19=35. No?

Back