• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why does Win2k Pro reserve huge amount of system space on clean install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kosmic

Why does Win2k Pro reserve huge amount of HD space on clean install?

I'm doing a clean install of Win2k pro on a small 13 gig hard drive that I re-formatted with the Win2k installer. (remember when hard drives first got to a gig and we all thought that was big?)

Anyhow, when I install diskeeper and defrag after the install, I notice a huge amount (over a Gig is my guess) of disk space that is "reserved system space" or words to that effect. I'm wondering why it's so big and if I can change its size? Anybody know? It's not a big deal at all, but I'm just curious.

Thanks

Some of the truly hardcore will be able to go into more detail, but I believe that space is for the settings used for the system restore feature that XP and 2K use.

Rclick on your recycle bin\properties then look at the settings then go to the tab for each drive. You will see the amount of "Reserved system space" Decrease the percentage reserved(default is 10%) and then check.

Back