• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why won't this XP 2100 cool down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my asus probe is so stupid that it could not record temperatures below 40. using mbm5 my temps actually dropped by 5 to 6 degrees. impressive. at first I dun believe it, asus really has a notorious reputation of reporting wrong temps. luckily mine did not go as far as to report a temp which is 10 degree higher

Über~PhLuBB said:

No they don't. =\ XP's have a larger die and also put out about 5 watts less heat than 1.3-1.4G T-Birds. T-breds are hotter than T-birds, but Palominos are cooler than both (per square mm).

Just wanted to set things straight. =)

Is this a 2100 T-bred we're talking about, or a Palomino?

lol, woops; I got them confused. :p

I think it it is a palamino and the thing that is making him mad is that after about a half of an hour tops it reads around 65c to 70c and becomes very unstable it reboots, locks up and just about every other prob you could amagine. I think we will try my HS and fan combo to see how it works if that doesn't work what else could be going on?

That's the best thing you can do--it will determine if what we have been telling you is, in fact, the actual problem. Whatever the result, please let us know on this thread so that either we have to come up with a different solution or have our present one verified.

sorry it took so long I have been busy here is what we did first my brother bought a swiftek 470 something or other thier best one and a 80mm fan. after about 4 tries of putting it on and taking it off the best it would cool was 70c idle never got full load because his sys wouldn't stay on long enough to test. the temp was about 10c higher with the $75.00 hs and fan compared to the cheap one it came with. well we decided to try it on my sys to let it live up to the claims about how good they are. I can say this in my opinion this is truley a piece of crap just from the instalation aspect. any way after getting it on my board and trying it my temps went from the low 40c up to almost 60c we tried and tried but never got it to come close to the perfomance my thermalright sk6 and 60mm delta we wher bolth using my delta because the 80mm fan that he got was a pile. so after tring everything we could think of with the swiftec we tried my hs combo on his board remember his cheap hs and fan combo ran about 60c to near 70c the swiftec from about 70c to 80c and my combo ran at a stable 48c idle 52c full load no joke that still seems high but alot better than the other two. me and my brother have come to the conclusion that for the dificulty of instalation and performance the swiftec is a waste of cash. my cheaper,lighter heatsink and fan ran about 20c cooler and without the hastle of trying not to bust your cpu in half when you are torqueing the thing down with a screwdriver and pliers. about the heat don't you think that even at 48c stock settings is high?

That's really strange. Something is really weird there--I have nothing more to tell you other than what we've all been saying. I hope someone else can help you out with a different possibility. I would still try isolating your HSF from your other fans like I suggested earlier--even though this isn't the answer to your problem, it should still reduce your temps. BTW thanks for posting back--again, if you finally do find out what's causing this post us so that we can help the next person who has this problem.

Back