• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Installer will not boot from CD correctly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cetamega

Registered
I am trying to install Windows XP Pro onto my computer after having Fedora Core 4. However, when I throw in the CD, it boots up and brings up the black screen that says "Set-up is inspecting your hardware" and then when it should go to the blue screen with a gray border on the bottom, it just hangs at a blank screen. I have tryed it with a couple of copies of XP and it happens with every one of them.

I threw in an old Windows 98 CD I had and it went right through to where it told me that it couldn't find any hard disks (SATA drives)

Why would XP not load up?

Boot using a Win98/Me bootdisk, and at the command prompt type: fdisk /mbr. You could also boot to the XP Recovery Console and type: fixmbr... both of which perform basically the same function. Also, which brand of HDD are you trying to install XP to? If neither procedure works for you, you'll need to download the diagnostics utility from the HDD manufacturer's site, and use that to erase the boot sector. You may also have to perform a low-level format on the drive using the same utility.

Thanks guys, everything worked great and I am currently posting from my newly formatted computer. After playing some CS first...

Back