• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Won't boot off SATA when PATA drives are pluged in. Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silent Frog

My friend has two Raptors on SATA RAID and two WD PATA drives on the IDE plugs. When he plugs in the PATA drives it will only boot off of the PATA, if no PATA drives are pluged in it will boot off the SATA.
Has any one else had a problem like this one? How do we fix this?

Check the bios for the SATA options. It will probably have modes such as "combined", "enhanced" etc. In some of these options, the board won't even look for SATA drives, and in others, won't look for PATA. I had a hell of a time getting my abit IC7 max 3 to boot off my SATA raptors when I had IDE disks hooked up as well. Really an oversight on the mobo manufacturer's part, they've made this MUCH harder than it has to be.

He has a ASUS A7N8X-E. Theres nothing in the BIOS for SATA and theres nothing in the SATA's BIOS for booting.. But thanks for that bit of help, I'll tell him that and he can have a look. Anything else?

While I've never had an A7N8X, the chances that it has no options in the bios to influence the boot order are zero. You problem is that the boot order is not defined, or rather it is defined as the default where PATA takes precedence. Fixing the problem is not possible without finding the setting and setting it.

hey I'm having the same problem but with a ic7 max3. Anyone out there can help me out? I have a raptor that I installed windows xp on. WHen I do plug in the pata drive it wont boot up into window. It keeps recognizing the pata drive first and not the sata raptor

Yes, if you use sata drives, you have to pick the SCSI option (since there is no SATA option). It's under the ASUS bios, not the sata bios.

Boot order is the obvious thing to look for first.

Well. He told me today he got it to work by using "1st boot=LS120, 2nd boot=SCSI, 3rn boot=LS120" I have no idea why he would of even tried the LS120, seems its a type of floppy :-| I think the 2nd boot SCSI is doing it. And he said he tried the SCSI option... Maybe I need to get some new friends that aren't into computers, at least that way I don't have to help them all the bloody time!. Thanks for your help guys. And OcLinNoob, I hope you solve your prob.

Just tell him it's the SCSI option tha'ts working for him, not the LS120. We don't need him spreading false info like that around to others. ;)

Back