• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World of Warcraft DX12 optimizations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Finally MAYBE a reason to switch to Win10 ?

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287727...ations-coming-in-patch-8-1-tides-of-vengeance

"Compared to the normal DirectX 12 results, the multithread settings provide an average 25% improvement to frames per second and 23% improvement over DirectX 11 results. These results are an amazing increase and should help players with 120Hz or 144Hz refresh frequency monitors reach much higher frame rates."

https://www.wowhead.com/news=289041/nvidia-driver-optimizations-for-patch-8-1-tides-of-vengeance

"Warning, users are reporting issues with these drivers with GTX 1050 and 1060, might be worth waiting for a driver fix if you see issues."

"...players using Nvidia cards should see even more improvements, as their most recent driver update (December 3rd) includes further optimizations, adding another 5% or so improvement to frame rate values. It is important to note that all these optimizations are available only for users using DirectX 12 (Windows) or Metal (macOS) graphic APIs."

Wow I'm surprised there is enough of a membership base that Blizz deemed it worth the effort. I mean it launched almost 15 years ago, I played it in highschool on an old T40 thinkpad, complete with 1.5ghz Pentium M and ATi 7500m. Seems like any updates now would be like putting an air freshener in a car up on cinderblocks :shrug:

??? The game has been receiving graphical/tech updates with every expansion (the current one is number 8) since it came online, and it still has 4-5 million subscribers at the moment, with numbers swelling to ~8m and dwindling to ~2m depending on how well new content is received. New servers are supposed to open in the next few months to house the original 0-60 version of the game - the one we call vanilla - and we have a huge patch of current content incoming next week and then again in January, so it's going to swell again. WoW is nowhere near dead as people seem to think [emoji23]

As an active player of probably the 2nd biggest MMO (FFXIV) I'm not surprised that WoW is still worth developing. It's hard to find numbers. Now, I just wish they updated the game engine of FFXIV but it was limited by PS3 support, and is now limited by PS4 support.

Yeah, down from what, 12+ million at peak? And we're talking about an FPS increase and DX12 implementation to a game that was playable on lower end mobile hardware at launch, which is what I was getting at. Even with a little spit and polish I wouldn't be surprised if modern low to midrange HW can brute force it to >60hz/1080p already, unless one of those tech updates included a complete graphics engine overhaul from the ground up.

FPS has never really been an issue except on poorly coded or heavily phased (multi layered) areas, I'm 1080p 75fps locked everywhere except big cities and a couple areas on a fx4300+660ti on level 7 quality - 1-10, 7 used to be max 3 expansions ago, limit was raised for uber setups with 8700k/2700+1080ti/SLI. DX12 has been in the game for a couple years now but so far the results have been... less then optimal... so everyone still uses DX11.

I think maximum we ever had online was ~11million (good expansion), but this is for example at the start of the expansion, numbers dwindle after a couple months when we pretty much finished everything there is to do in PvE and are waiting for new content.

EDIT: Link talks about frame rates at 4K not 1080p, and just because a tablet can play it doesn't mean it's enjoyable at lowest quality settings ;) FPS only really drops like i said in heavily populated/phased areas but it drops hard - my 8370 goes from 100+ to 55+), but is somewhat expected since even in a room with 1000 players you will almost never see 2 "dressed" the same - customization has it's drawbacks. Add MSAA/shadows/particles because players don't learn that maximum quality = lower FPS and you can see the problem here.

2 expansions ago Blizzard start updating all the player/NPC/monsters models (literally hundreds of them) to MUCH higher polygon count so that also added to the "OMG IT'S SLOW" hysteria going around especially at 4K.

Last edited:
Wow... so glad I played the 10 hour trial and put it down... I would imagine myself to be a 300lbs single man and $15 /month short since if I played this game. :p

Glad to see it is still getting updates. :)

Wow... so glad I played the 10 hour trial and put it down... I would imagine myself to be a 300lbs single man and $15 /month short since if I played this game. :p

Glad to see it is still getting updates. :)

But....but....I'm not 300lbs!

Well, you aren't me... (though I'm 100 lbs away from being 300 lbs at 6' ;)). I'd get sucked in and laaaaaaaaaazy. :)

I was simply implying that I would have plugged a ton of hours into this at the detriment of my health and relationships, LOL!

I was simply implying that I would have plugged a ton of hours into this at the detriment of my health and relationships, LOL!

I got you unfortunately beat there. :rofl: Used to pull in 18 hrs hardcore playing and raiding back in Vanilla and BC. Still play but very casually and cautiously. lol

Used to pull in 18 hrs hardcore playing and raiding back in Vanilla and BC.

Aerie Peak US in Vanilla then had to start over in Wrath when i switched to a EU server (lost my mini-Diablo pet) :bang head

Well i made the change and i can say i like the results, i went from choppy 55fps+ in phased areas/big cities to a very smooth 70fps+ and 30fps+ everywhere else on my 8370 (will only matter to people with 144fps monitors i suppose), all cores being much more used then before. Less gains on the 4300 but still decent for a driver change - used 417.22 because i read the latest 417.35 are causing problems, remember that you have to have Windows 10/DX12 to make full use of these optimizations. No bad points so far. Overall very much approved :thup:

This really is tempting me to get back in to it, I miss the gaming sessions with my daughter. Unfortunately, she has a chronic case of Dumb A** at the moment and I find him annoying. LOL

WoW is one of those games that I played at launch day one (Tauren Druid) and as it's been years since I have played it it's always in the back of my mind wondering if I should get back in for a month or so...

WoW is one of those games that I played at launch day one (Tauren Druid) and as it's been years since I have played it it's always in the back of my mind wondering if I should get back in for a month or so...

2 new races coming out in the next week or so in patch 8.1.5 (and a new raid just opened), good time to join :D

Back