• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what the heck does this freaking beep code mean?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ozzlo

Senior whose title will pier
ok it goes like this

long beep (short pause) three short beeps (short pause) two short beeps (pause) 5 long beeps with short pauses inbetween them and then the comp restarts :mad: also the two cd rom activity lights pulsate in sync with each other and in sync with the HD activity light.

2 out of three times on average it does this when it tries to boot

1 out of three times on average it boots normally and runs perfectly normal untill you attempt to reboot it.

this computer has been running flawlessly for just under a year.

This thanksgiving holiday I have purchased a DVD burner and a Harddrive(currently a secondary harddrive). I simply put the drives in the drive bay (screwed them in) and pluged in the molex connectors and the ribbon cables. I highly doubt that the drives are having any problems because All of them work perfectly when the system boots up normal. I have burned a couple of DVD's on my dvd burner allready and have recently transferred 30gigs o stuff to the new harddrive.

I will conduct more tests when I get home to further fill you guys in tommorrow.

Heres the system

p4 2.4ghz 533
have to look and see what type of mobo it is (can't remember)
512 DDR 2700 kingston
Gforce4 ti 4200 64MB
4 drives total
40GB maxtor
120GB maxtor (new drive)
24x cd burner
dvd burner (new drive)
340w power supply

I tink I had bought my mobo back when mobo's where being sold w/bad capacitors. I would suspect that if it had bad capacitors It would have died a long time ago but I will check those too when I get home.

posssibly not enough power. What brand is your PSU? I have a 350w Enermax that can barely power 1 hardrive 2 cd burners and a video card!

ok after a procedural dissasembly and reassembly it works perfectly fine now:-/

ok ok here's the rundown and i think I have the entire beep code broken down FOR ALL TO SEE (or hear).

ok so I figured It might of been my power supply that was the problem so I checked out everything and for some reason when I unplugged and replugged in the main molex power to the mobo it changed the beep code to one long beep followed by two short beeps. Well I knew that was Immeadeatly the graphics card. so I unplugged and plugged it back in. and that beep code went away. and then I discovered by guess and check that the front pannell usb2.0 was to blame so all the errors are fixed and the comp boots normal. geez I wish I knew what all teh beep codes ment. I only know the graphics card one.:rolleyes:

Back