• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1:1 mem or a high fsb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well it is best to run 1:1 and a high FSB. I hear with P4s running a lower memory speed than the FSB has less of a performance impact than with AMDs. I hear AMDs don't do well not in 1:1, and it's not worth the extra FSB to have it higher than the RAM speed.

Get some quality ram, and run SYNC in and AMD system. I can tell you from experience, that async memory timings KILL performance.

I'm running 230fsb, w/ mem async at 80% (184mhz), and performance is about the same as when I run 182fsb in sync. I'm only gaining about 30 points in 3DMark01 as a result of using 230fsb w/ slower RAM timings.

AFAIK, the Intel systems favor higher FSB's, even when running memory asyncronously. However the price difference between the RAM speeds are negligable, so get the best you can afford.

right now i have 250 fsb at 5:4 ratio on my 2.8 oc 3.5 would i get better proformance by lowering my fsb to get 1:1 ratio i have pc3200 ram and my timings are 2.5,3,3,8 also in case you want to know i have asus p4c800 del mb

I'd leave it at 250 FSB and see if you can tighten up your timings a little. Maybe bump up the vdimm and try 2,3,3,6 timings. Play around by trial and error to find your best timings. At the least you should be able to run 2.5,3,3,7.

Back