• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 pro on my netbook!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
ya kno i just ran diskpart on my main rig and it said an offset of 32kb, i then checked with diskpar yes diskpar and it said 63sectors... which is not optimal... 64 would be 32kb so its possible that diskpart MIGHT round up.

so

download diskpar

https://kb.wisc.edu/images/group14/4556/diskpar.exe

save it to C:\

start up cmd prompt and type

cd C:\ [enter]

diskpar -i 1 [enter]

What is the value for hidden sectors. if its a true 32KB it will be 64 sectors (1 sector = 512bytes)

What is the value for hidden sectors. if its a true 32KB it will be 64 sectors (1 sector = 512bytes)

HiddenSectors = 64

So I guess it is aligned. Still, the OS overall feels more sluggish than my nlited XP. I wonder if it would make much of a difference if I manually aligned the partition to 64kb?

well my win7 netbook experiment is over for now. i got a "low memory" warning with just two apps open (firefox and mobi reader). using a 512mb ramdrive in xp for temp files and cache just feels a lot more responsive for me than win 7. don't get me wrong - i love win 7 and have it on all my other machines at home. i'm not sure what the advantage over xp is in terms of resource usage, however, aside from the prettier interface.

how much ram do you have? running firefox and aim in win 7 im only using like 30% of my 2gb of ram in win 7.... NO pagefile.

i have 2gb and no pagefile as well. when i got the error i checked and the memory usage was ticking above 1.6gb! bizarre.

i have 2gb and no pagefile as well. when i got the error i checked and the memory usage was ticking above 1.6gb! bizarre.

Memory usage in Win7 + Vista is very different from XP. Typically memory is consumed in both Win7 + Vista unlike Windoze XP.

Interesting article. :bday:

Holly crap you see some of the scores... dam... I want a bit more Ram but not sure it will do much.... Apparently, we must see some really good line speeds before we get to really cr5ak these things up to full throttle. But just for kicks this is what my main system is running. What you got...share.... I like to compare.... and see where I can make a bit of a tweak here and there. I know extra drive help and well...it's nothing these days to carry a few TB for grins!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 23 17.02.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Sep. 23 17.02.gif
    149.4 KB · Views: 625
Holly crap you see some of the scores... dam... I want a bit more Ram but not sure it will do much.... Apparently, we must see some really good line speeds before we get to really cr5ak these things up to full throttle. But just for kicks this is what my main system is running. What you got...share.... I like to compare.... and see where I can make a bit of a tweak here and there. I know extra drive help and well...it's nothing these days to carry a few TB for grins!

first things first: :welcome: to the forums!

having said that, you did notice that this thread is about netbooks, right? :santa:

Nice work and congrats on the FP article! A couple quick things:

First, you probably should give credit to the site where you got those first few tips for speeding up Win7.

Second, it might be nice to link back to this thread for additional feedback and to get discussion going.

fwiw, i'm still sticking with my nlite'd xp pro and have no problems whatsoever. using a 512mb ram drive for firefox and system cache and no paging file - everything works without a hiccup. but i was glad to give win7 a whirl and i might come back to it when i get bored with xp...again. :santa:

Back