• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I JUST PICKED UP MY AYHJA TODAY !!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roc

Registered
AND IT'S CRAP!!!! If you saw my post earlier today saying " I JUST ORDERED THE 133AYHJA TODAY OVER THE AXIA Y PLEASE REPLY" well here it is. I live in Las Vegas and found one here locally. I got home, used a little Artic Silver slapped it on my Abit KT7A RAID threw my GW FOP 38 on to it, powered it up with my Enermax 431 PS and away I went. Well actually I didn't get to far. This chip is a true disappointment. I started low and worked my way up, all the way up to 1510 and that's it. I tried everything from 11.5x133=1529.5 to 153x10=1530 to 10.5x145=1522 and nothing but a disappointment. And yes I even tried every combination of voltages in between. I even remounted the HSF three times to be sure I was set properly. The crappy thing is running at 51c degrees at a snails pace of 1510mhz. If you were thinking of buying one of these DONT!!! Stick to the AXIA chips if you want some real results. Please feel free to e-mail me or ICQ me if you have any ideas I haven't thought of.

Sobering news, just as everyone was getting all worked up about these new chips. Ed did have that article on the frontpage about people not having proper cooling, but I'd still class a FOP38 as pretty decent :)

If these chips really need something with a C/W of <0.2 to cool them properly that only really leaves the Swiftech MC462, Millenium Glaciator or water/pelt cooling. Could just be you got really unlucky with your chip, but we'll have to wait and hear a few more reports I guess to be sure.

To be fair, many AXIAs don't make 1500MHz, so it's not exactly shabby performance - though of course given the hype (and cost) I can understand wanting more. However, if getting the performance you want means revamping your cooling system it might make people think twice about buying one.

I have 3 AXIA chips. Of the 3 only 1 of them will top 1500 with a FOP38. The other 2 will do 1.33 and 1440 thats it. Not all chips are great overclockers to be able to just pick one up and top 1.5 gig with a standard HSF is not that bad at all. You could stand to have lower temps. Consider moving to the Swiftech or better yet water so you can increase the voltage and run faster. Even just a lower temp from a better cooling solution may get you another 50mhz or so without uping the voltage.

Shoot, just lap the darn FOP38 really good. I got a 10C decrease in temps when I lapped my FOP38 HS. You need to get it really smooth and flat and it will actually be a great HSF. Then I'm sure you could possibly get even higher on that chip.

I am going with water cooling at the end of the week. However for future what is best way to lap a heatsink and what do you use?

i did quite a lapping job-using 600/800/1200 grit and using some thermal grease. Not saying that will totally get u to where u wanna be-but its a start

The FOP heatsink, regardless of fan benefits greatly from lapping. The finish on them leaves a lot to be desired for both flatness as well as smoothness. Wheter it amounts to 10C performance loss is another issue. I, personally saw an improvement in excess of 5C after a modest lap job (not a mirror finish). Consider that before you "go the dough" for water. Water is and shall remain, the King for cooling.

Hoot

roc (Jun 05, 2001 02:27 a.m.):
AND IT'S CRAP!!!! If you saw my post earlier today saying " I JUST ORDERED THE 133AYHJA TODAY OVER THE AXIA Y PLEASE REPLY" well here it is. I live in Las Vegas and found one here locally. I got home, used a little Artic Silver slapped it on my Abit KT7A RAID threw my GW FOP 38 on to it, powered it up with my Enermax 431 PS and away I went. Well actually I didn't get to far. This chip is a true disappointment. I started low and worked my way up, all the way up to 1510 and that's it. I tried everything from 11.5x133=1529.5 to 153x10=1530 to 10.5x145=1522 and nothing but a disappointment. And yes I even tried every combination of voltages in between. I even remounted the HSF three times to be sure I was set properly. The crappy thing is running at 51c degrees at a snails pace of 1510mhz. If you were thinking of buying one of these DONT!!! Stick to the AXIA chips if you want some real results. Please feel free to e-mail me or ICQ me if you have any ideas I haven't thought of.

Dunno, to me 1500 is pretty good. Most of the AXIA's will only do in the 1400's Air Cooled. Your FOP38 is NOT one of the best performers. Do you realize at 1500 that chip is putting out almost 100 Watts of heat? Get a real heatsink and you'll probably do better. I wouldn't fo as far as calling a chip you just picked up and only worked with a day a piece of crap.

Let me get this straight. 1510 is a snail's pace. What do you think you are going to get, 2GHz? I've been working mine(AXIA) for a while, and how well it does depends quite often on ambient temps. Until I put my room airconditioning back in, I've backed off to 1466, but I'm running it at 1.675v, nice and cool. Take some time to burn it in as you go, and you can probably get a hell of a lot more out of the chip.

whooa ,ive only been gone about 2 weeks and both HOOT and TT120 have doubled there posts! man do you guys ever sleep! goodluck to you both............................................

Crap, eh? Well sorry for your luck, but 1.5ghz isn't that bad. In fact you'll probably be able to go higher in time too, so be patient.

I myself am receiving my AYHJA today and will have to get back to you all. I am expecting to run at 1.6ghz. That is my goal, and I think with my setup it will be attainable. Maybe not day 1, but within a month, yes.

My Setup
-Epox 8K7A Motherboard (AMD 760 DDR)
-512 MB Crucial RAM
-IBM 46GB 7200RPM HDD
-ATI Radeon 64 ViVo
-SB Live!
-1 DVD, 2 CD-RW's, and a Net card
Cooling: 220gph pump to DD Cooling Cube to DD Maze2 Waterblock, back down to resevoir and out to Cooling Cube Radiator again.

Currently I'm running my AXIA 1ghz at 1420 rock stable on this board. I just got the motherboard on Monday, so I'm not even sure how high this chip will go on it. I had random glitches around 1.4 on my Iwill kk266, so this has been an Awesome Board so far.

I'll get back with everyone with my AYHJA results later this evening

-Neptune5k

Heck Neptunes overclock compared to mine alone shows that not all chips of a given batch are created equal, my AXIA 1ghz hits 1470 stable air cooled with the FOP38, many people who havent gone to extremes are topping AXIAs out short of 1500 or low in the 1500s, with a good water cooling rig you could probably get another 50 mhz easy out of yours...Personally 47% extra from my AXIA has pretty much squelched my need for newer processors to try and break the overclocking limits, lol, its like my dream chip...now I just need to get a real video card
-Mike

Roc,

I don't know the FOP so I can't comment on it. But you need to lower your temps. Maybe check out the Glaciator for $40 or something. I use the MC462, but it looks like the Galciator is the new king of aircooling. Also checks Hoot's article on aircooling from getting air from outside the box. It worked wonders for me. I didn't use the blower Hoot used as I dont have space currently outside the box, but I used a 92 mm fan and attached a homemade "pipe" (3'') onto it to direct the cold air directly onto the cpu fan. The result was that I could run at load under 40C @ 1.605 GHz 12x133. Everything is stable, but I get a Prime 95 error. So I went back to 11.5x133 for my current setting and it works great about 37C underload with 22C ambient. I would be able to go higher but my mobo AD11 is very unstable with higher FSB settings so I can only use multiplier. I also set the core voltage to 1.9V, as the temps are low enough.

So fix cooling, look at core voltage and try again. Good luck and be patient.

Back