• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats your virtual memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How much do you use? :) 1500 would be great for somebody doing video editing or something, a bit too much if all you do is check your e-mail :D

My computer is pretty much an internet machine, but I do occationaly load up a few games. Right now my pagefile is at 384MB with 512MB of RAM, and I never run out.

JigPu

I have mine set at 768 and haven't had any problems. I set it that high because I mostly play MMO's which generally like to use a lot of memory. If you play a lot of games a good rule of thumb for the page file is 1 1/2 times your current memory. For just web surfing or occasional games you can set it for less like JigPu said. Some consider getting rid of it altogether if you have more than 1gig of regular memory. It all just depends on what you use your computer for really. Just remember the more you have the more it uses your HDD. Which in turn means longer access times for the memory.

Ram = 512Mb
Page file = 512Mb
Page file on C: = 256-256Mb
Page file on H: = 256-256Mb
C: is the system partition on my first harddrive (2 partitions total), H: is the only partition on my 2nd physical drive.

Never had a problem with those numbers.... general use includes gaming and the occasional photo editing.

500 mb on C: partition with windows on striped array.
500 mb on G: Backup drive on IDE

I can use 500 on C: without backup drive installed ,but with drive installed i must have pagefile on it as well or my write times from the array will drop to one half their normal speed.

I also had it disabled with a Gig of RAM but some games don't startup without a swapfile and cause errors. I have 512MB fixed on my windows partition now and it works super with todays fast drives anyway.

512mb of RAM, 1gig of pagefile on a seperate partition. Might be a bit too much...but that's ok.

well you need as much or little bit more than your RAM on same HD so you can hibernate your system! and thats about it for the use of virtual since I got my extra 512 i never needed virtual also i hibernate but not my PC lol

fadirocks said:
well you need as much or little bit more than your RAM on same HD so you can hibernate your system! and thats about it for the use of virtual since I got my extra 512 i never needed virtual also i hibernate but not my PC lol
If you enable hibernation, then a space, equal to the amount of ram you have in your system, is automatically reserved for hibernation. It just disappears from your harddrive's free space count. So you do not necessarily have to keep any free space, as it's done for you already. If you disable it, you'll find you gain an extra 512mb back in free space.

I always like to have some swap.. I like to run a lot of stuff :)

Yes but Windows always add extra useless MBs reserved i hate that
by su root: For best performance, unplug the network cable from your web server -- the load will drop down to zero almost instantly!

Yea I noticed that too hehe :)

Back