• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 OC 1st time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tWiSt3D

Hello have been reading around here alot now Im wanting to try a OC on my Q6600 nothing big just maybe a 2.6 or 2.7 So when I start this all I do is slowly move the cpu FBS up 10 MHz at a time with stock volts and thats it?Do I need to mess with any other settings on a small clock like 2.6?Yes sorry for noobie questions would really like to learn this and even know Ive read alot and still just a little confused and dont want to fry anything:santa: Thanks for any help.

:welcome: to the forums!

For such a small OC, you can just change the fsb to equal the 2.6-2.7 without adjusting anything else and it should be fine. If you need to, bump the vcore one notch ;)

:welcome:
288fsb would be no problem for oc on the Q6600, now assuming this is a newer stepping Q6600. i would suspect you can get higher then that without increasing any voltages. the only thing that would need to be done is to adjust the memory ratios. on the stock 9x multi i think you can do 333fsb if it is the new G0 stepping. give it a shot worst that can happen is you need to reset the cmos for stock and set things back up. before you do that though, what board are you using?

Its a go step and Im using an EVGA 650i Ultra A1 well the more ive been reading maybe I shouldnt try this yet Im using cheap ram that I had in a HP PC from before 3GB PC2-5300 DDR2 Memory probably not smart to try anything with this Ram?

PIC

Last edited:
you can run the ram unlinked in the 600 series so your ram can stay at stock speed. all you would do then is increase the cpu fsb. how ever early 6x0's have issues with ocing quad cores, the lack of a CPU VTT and CPU GTL votlage controll is the problem. you may not even be able to do 333 or even 288 mhz fsb. i would try with 266mhz fsb then go from there but i wouldnt count on getting much out of that chipset for ocing a quad core.

I can get to 2.6 while linked but anything after that it freezes at windows loading screen so I just shut off pc for a min turn back on then got back in bios and changed back.Prob not much difference in 2.4 to 2.6 anyways?Im a gamer all cod series a little far cry 2.

it would make a difference since the fsb is also faster. you need to run prime95 or orthos to make sure it is stable at 2.6ghz. even at such a low oc, you need to make sure you dont need to tweak anything.

it would make a difference since the fsb is also faster. you need to run prime95 or orthos to make sure it is stable at 2.6ghz. even at such a low oc, you need to make sure you dont need to tweak anything.

I did it for an hour an a half using prime95 but had to head to work and didnt want to leave it running while I wasnt there.I know no tlong enough temps was average 38 highest was 40 on one core and no errors.

well if your using the older prime95 then you need more then one instance running to test the cores. if the highest the temp was hitting was 40's then there is no issue, even 60c 24/7 is good. should have let it run while at work to see if it was stable for 8+hrs.

you can run the ram unlinked in the 600 series so your ram can stay at stock speed. all you would do then is increase the cpu fsb. how ever early 6x0's have issues with ocing quad cores, the lack of a CPU VTT and CPU GTL votlage controll is the problem. you may not even be able to do 333 or even 288 mhz fsb. i would try with 266mhz fsb then go from there but i wouldnt count on getting much out of that chipset for ocing a quad core.
Well I had it to 2.7 loaded up all fine I changed some of the voltages but I ran prime95 after a min of that pc rebooted itself.I have it to 2.6 with all volts on auto runs just fine would like to try a little higher but not sure what volts need to be to get it to go.Heres current volts on auto

CPU Core: 1.21
CPU FSB: 1.20
MEM: 1.83 running unlinked
Nforce SPP: 1.30

I did raise the volts on all these up a hair when I had it on 2.7 is it just not possible like ya said or what would be a good start on these volts to try again like i said i tried but wasnt sure if they were right.Thanks again

Ok need advice on these settings be easy for I am a noob.

Volts

Setting Current
CPU core: 1.39375 1.34

CPU FSB: 1.30 1.30

MEM: Auto 1.83

NForce SPP: 1.30 1.30

FBS mem clock mode: Unlinked
FBS (QDR)Mhz: 1200
CPU Multiplier:x9
Mem (DDR0Mhz:666
Actual MEM:666.7

This is in my system monitor

CPU CORE 1.34
CPU FSB 1.29
MEM 1.85
+3.3v 3.30v
+3.3v DUal 3.30v
+12v 11.88
+5v 5.04
+vBat 3.00

Ok hope thats readable.Now does everything look ok or anything not on the voltages?I ran prime for a few just to see if it would crash like I was getting.So far all good but still need to really stress test this but wanted to ask the pros on what I should up or down with these settings.Thanks for any input.

take your SPP voltage up to 1.4v and try going higher then 2.7ghz agian, after that try 1.5v. keep in mind that NV chipsets like voltage when ocing and also run really hot at stock or oc'd.

take your SPP voltage up to 1.4v and try going higher then 2.7ghz agian, after that try 1.5v. keep in mind that NV chipsets like voltage when ocing and also run really hot at stock or oc'd.
I had to bump CPU core down one to 1.38750 so far so good now Im just trying to stay stable at 2.7 not sure if this board can handle anymore should I still move SPP to 1.4v?My HSF is a artic pro 7 so I dont want to get to hot with this little thing temps are not bad so far with real temp and core temp they show different but not bad I quess which one of those is more accurate or are they both just a diff way about it?

Ok need advice on these settings be easy for I am a noob.

Volts

Setting Current
CPU core: 1.39375 1.34

CPU FSB: 1.30 1.30

MEM: Auto 1.83

NForce SPP: 1.30 1.30

FBS mem clock mode: Unlinked
FBS (QDR)Mhz: 1200
CPU Multiplier:x9
Mem (DDR0Mhz:666
Actual MEM:666.7

This is in my system monitor

CPU CORE 1.34
CPU FSB 1.29
MEM 1.85
+3.3v 3.30v
+3.3v DUal 3.30v
+12v 11.88
+5v 5.04
+vBat 3.00

Ok hope thats readable.Now does everything look ok or anything not on the voltages?I ran prime for a few just to see if it would crash like I was getting.So far all good but still need to really stress test this but wanted to ask the pros on what I should up or down with these settings.Thanks for any input.
Any pointers on what to change around to try again only thing I have different from above when it BSOD was CPU CORE to 1.38750 after 30 min of running prime95 I received the BSOD

up your cpu fsb a notch or two thats about the only voltage left that you can try...

up your cpu fsb a notch or two thats about the only voltage left that you can try...
It only gives me the option to do auto or 1.2,1.3 and 1.4 and 1.4 is a no go for sure LOL quess its not possible with this board to get passed 2.6

Back