• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 OC 1st time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even with the standard intel fan though? Will give it a try this wknd

well the B3 on the stock sink might do 3ghz. temps will be the biggest factor, go to 2.8ghz and run small FFT's in prime95 mulit-core version. that way you can kinda of gauge how it might be at 3ghz. assuming you dont need to bump the voltage for 3ghz from 2.8ghz.

Ok been messing around again changed ram to unlinked and tried it again so now its running ok but these ram things I dont understand in this pic the dram looks weird to me nothing like the 1:1 as before when Linked and sync.Is this bad in this pic?
PIC

Is it ok to run the ram like that it is unlinked now but 15:16 whats this mean?

Thats just the ratio... of FSB speed to DRAM speed... since you are running it unlinked it will give you some strange numbers, nothing to worry about

Thats just the ratio... of FSB speed to DRAM speed... since you are running it unlinked it will give you some strange numbers, nothing to worry about

Ok thank you just wondered I cranked it up to 3.2 with all the same volts as I had it to 3.0 and changed it to unlinked so might as well run it at 3.2 same volts as 3.0 why not :santa::santa:

As long as your happy and you are getting what you want out of your system then im happy too!!!

Ok just received These and now in running unlinked as before i was linked and sync with the 5300 ram I had.All good runs test fine but now what do i need to do or if anything at all to the ram.Heres a new pic of things.

PIC

i say its time for new ram....however you would be better off just running the ram at ddr2-800 5-5-5-15 vs DDr2-948 5-6-6-18.

i say its time for new ram....however you would be better off just running the ram at ddr2-800 5-5-5-15 vs DDr2-948 5-6-6-18.

I just got this ram today went from 5300 I had to now the 6400 800 how do I get it to those settings?Im at 3.2 on the quad

well it looks like your running the ram unlinked. all you have to do in that case is just set the ram speed then the timings.

Well pc keeps freezing up on me cant move my cursor so I reboot then it loads into the windows loading screen after that gos black.IO set everything back to default still the same after about 10 mins of trying I finally got it going.Ive tried different ram still the same thing.Any Ideas why this is doing this or whats causeing it?

I dont get it even at 2.4 all back to default I still get the random freezing and sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 times to power on pc before it works it will load in windows screen then goes black.

have you done a deep clear of the cmos? as in setting the cmos to clear, then unplug the pc from the wall, then remove the cmos battery, let sit for about 30min-1hr. then when it boots up the first time, have it load the safe defualts.

No i havent done that but I was looking and I must be getting blind in my old age I cannot find any where to clear it on the MB.

its a small jumper, like when you set master/slave on harddrives. is the board from evga?

Ok I found it LOL after I did it it says this before I hit f1 to go ahead is this right or I mean did I do it right?

CMOS checksome error--Defaults loaded

Yea thats correct, I would run a memtest too, just to be safe ;D
just use the Nvidia MemTest thats in the BIOS, it will run on your next reboot.
You seem to have gotten a nice q6600, mine took 1.39 in bios to hit 3.2ghz stable...
my qx6850 needs 1.43 in BIOS to make 3.5 >.<

Well after I cleared cmos I left it on 2.4 all was good until I just opened up my xfire then everything froze up again.Ive been playing games fine all week.But now the only way I can get the pc to do anything(was freezing at windows again)Icleared cmos again and the only way it will work now is if i put cpuv on 1.30 and everything else on auto.Very weird it has never got hot I always keep an eye on it with real temp and core temp.GPU never gets hot I monitor it all.Its kicking my butt I dont get it.

Back