• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crash Crash Bang!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AarontheJC

Alright. I'm running v2.15 of F@H. When XP starts, so does the program, naturally. After this weekend, when I hosted the LAN party at my parents' house, my machine mysteriously locks on some apps when I'm running F@H. No problem, I just closed the program. All I did was press the X in the top right. I still have trouble running the apps. They lock up still -because F@H is still running when I go to my task manager -even after I close the window (it's not in my system tray any more). I end the process in the task manager and it's all fine. My computer runs normally.

I tried to uninstall F@H, though, and it wouldn't let me. The uninstall program starts to run F@H, and all the apps freeze again. I tried reinstalling and then uninstalling, but it doesn't seem to help. The F@H program itself won't fold, and is only preventing other apps from running. I'd really like to get back in the game and get past this problem. I wonder...would upgrading to a newer version help? Anybody have any ideas?

at first I was going to suggest that maybe it's your OC, but if the numbers in your sig are accurate then it would probably rule that out.
There are some registry settings with the program but I don't think they will matter and they likely won't need to be deleted. To uninstall you could just delete the Folding@Home directory and, if you'd like, delete the Folding directory in the Start Menu and the shortcut in the startup folder. I haven't had many problems with the client crashing in XP. v 2.15 so I can't verify whether updating to the latest client will help, although it could be worth a try.
Kendan reported that there was a problem with the 2.19 client that required dumping the core_65 and allowing the client to download a new core. My assumption would be that the latest download would have the new core, but if you have any problems with the new client then that may help as well.

I had thought of the OC thing too. I put everything back down to defaults. No change. I'm downloading 2.19. If that doesn't work, then I'll uninstall it and delete the 2.15 directory. Hopefully a clean install should fix the problem. We shall see. That means that I'm out of the race until tomorrow at the soonest.

Back