• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10k hard drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kdrifter440

Can someone explain how to set up a SCSI 10,000 RPM hard drive in a normal desktop. I'm i need of a fast hard drive

kdrifter440 said:
Can someone explain how to set up a SCSI 10,000 RPM hard drive in a normal desktop. I'm i need of a fast hard drive

Make sure it is connected to the SCSI card in your computer. Turn on the PC with your OS in the CD-ROM. When you start the installation of XP you will see a message at the bottom of the screen that says press F6 to install additional drivers. Press F6 insert your Floppy disk with the SCSI drivers on it. Windows will continue to load then when prompted to pick a drive choose the SCSI drive to install windows on.

If you are just adding a drive to your system again make sure your SCSI card is installed and your HDD hooked up start your PC. When prompted load your drivers for the new hardware found. restart the PC. On next restart it will find the new HDD. It may ask you to restart again. After windows loaded go to control panel, computer management and then right click on the New Hard drive pick what type of drive you want it to be and then format it. When it is finished formating You are finished with the install.

Do you have all of the materials already setup (hardware wise)? Another option would be to run two Sata hard drives in Raid0. That would likely be cheaper. What is the budget?

kdrifter440 said:
how fast are 15k hard drives?

There is more to SCSI drives then just the roation speed. The heads on SCSI drives can move separatly (or so i've read) which makes them great for multiple acces at the same time. For databases they are unbeatable.

I can get 18gig 15k hard drives for $60 each what else do I need? How much faster will a 5 array be compaired to just running a single 15k

kdrifter440 said:
I can get 18gig 15k hard drives for $60 each what else do I need? How much faster will a 5 array be compaired to just running a single 15k

For a raid 5 array you need a minimum of 4 or is it 5 hard drives? Plus you need a controller card capable of raid 5.

It depends on what you are doing with it.... in a lot of cases, raid has no speed benefit at all. In some, you will be 3x faster using 3 hard drives.

Also, I'd rather have newer SCSI drives rather than older ones. I have 3 10,000 rpm scsi cheeta's in raid right now, and a single maxtor 15,000 137gb is still faster than they are, because its newer technology. Also, you are going to have to spend a lot of money on an scsi card. The minimum scsi card needed to run a raid5 array will be $200, plus hard drives. My motherboard on the other hand is capable of running a Sata raid5 array with the onboard connections.

EDIT: Raid 5 needs 3, I'd suggest 4.

If you are going to go SCSI and money is no object then definatly go with 15k drives. I will recommend the Fujitu MAS3735NC, or the Maxtor Atlas 15K IV. They are fast as hell.

Im going to use just a single 15k right now. What specs should I look for when buying a SCSI controller?

Back