• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time OCing. need hand held >.> (FX8350 on Sabertooth 990fx r2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Question regarding Fans.... Has anyone experimented with fans mounted behind the Motherboard tray? the Shinobi has a cutout behind the CPU socket for easy Backplate swapping. im thinking of borrowing a drill and some metal bits and building a fan mount on the inside of the back case mount to either push air in over the back of the CPU socket, or to pull air out off the cpu socket.

have any of you experimented any with that, if so, did intake or exhaust work better? also if so, what kind of cooling enhancement did it provide?

Since i installed the H90 on/in the case, i gave it a few days at stock settings to set the thermal paste and make sure everything was working right, and then started my overclock again from scratch. im at 4.2 ghz again, and my temps are currently 59 cpu and 44 package. so im seeing a difference on the package temps, but the socket is still getting a bit warm. and im wondering if i can do something about that.

also i think i've been here long enough to give myself an avatar now ;)

Last edited:
I did the same thing with my Silverstone Temjin TJ07, I cut a hole in the backside panel and mounted a 120mm fan. I used it as an exhaust, you should see the socket temp drop by doing so. I also mounted fans on the VRM heatsinks so you may see a bit lesser temp drop with the fan on the backside only. I don't think you'll see much difference in the temps mounting the fan as an intake or exhaust, but you could always experiment with it.

Ok how did you mount a fan on the VRM heatsink? the heatsink over my VCORE1 and VCORE2 Sensors is noticeably (and a little worryingly) hot to the touch.

I used a zip tie to mount a 80mm fan on the heatsink, it's not pretty but it works. You can also use double sided tape, a couple of people in the forum mounted a pair of 50mm fans using double sided tape.
Capture2.PNG

omg zip ties and double sided tape... sounds like it would fit well with my case mod :p

Speaking of sillyness noticed this while working on getting my cpu up to 4.5ghz

whE75Nq.png

THAT FAN = >9000

EDIT: The PC's pissin me off... im up to 1.4v and i cant keep all my workers going through a 20 min stress test. Temps still all in acceptable ranges.

This makes me wonder if my 4.3 / 4.4 Ghz OC was actuailly stable on my EVO at 1.385v or if i just lucked out and none of the workers happened to fail in the 20 min test.

grrrr..... damnit computer, Cooperate!

Last edited:
Sucess! Stable 4.4ghz @ 1.4v.

Temps though....

CPU socket max 69c
Processor max 57c

Lol.

However i just read something about LLC that intreuges me. gonna go check something.

Edit Back. and LLC is back on Auto. i put it to Normal and my OS BSOD. guessing thats bad. so back to Auto. :p

Last edited:
You likely just didn't set the LLC high enough. Probably needs to be on Ultra high I think to keep Bios set volt and volts under load at the same level. Been a while since I've had the Sabo out for a ride but pretty certain that's where you'd want it.

So we are on the same page, what are you considering stable?

it went through 20 min full load without a worker stopping. however after posting that i put it through another 20 min to test it again, and a worker failed.

so im not sure whats up. kept feeding it voltage and workers kept failing. would this mean that my particular CPU is just not going to go to 4.4? for the time being i've stepped it back to 4.3 @ 1.368v and was playing Shadow Warrior for about 2 hours last night without issues.

before i try to take it higher, im going to look more into mounting a fan behind the cpu, plus one on the VRM for the Vcores.

Also, could there just be an issue with 4.4 in particular? like 4.4 fails, but 4.5 does not? i've been researching online with people saying they have taken 8320's up to 4.7 on the cooler i was previously using... perhaps i just got a bum chip?

Whats the maximum allowable voltage? i've read 1.5, which is one of the reasons i stopped feeding it more volts at 1.4 and just stepped back (aside from the temps :p)

There are allot of claims for high overclock with the FX CPU, we always ask what was used for stress testing as not all programs are created equal. Just go over to the Intel side you will find not many that use prime to test with. That's why Manny was asking what you used to test with. Be carefully about numbers you read here in this forum we deal with prime and stress for what we feel is a truly stable system where we can do our work on the system without worrying about it crashing.

Bassnut too bad i diddnt notice you're location before, i just moved away from Kingston like 4 days ago :p

i was on Leroy Grant Drive, near the corner of Bath Rd, Concession St, and Princess St.

Yeah im stress testing with Prime95, Blend mode. using HWMonitor to check temps. (also using Asus AI Suite 2 for temps off Vcore1&2 and other temps not shown by HWMonitor). Using Asus Termal Radar to controll fans.

While testing i run the fan and pump at 100% by turning off Q-Fan controll for them (im guessing thats turning off PWM for those fans?) and run the other fans on Turbo setting. Now that i've throttled back, i have the CPU fan on Turbo and the other fans on standard.

For me, "Stable" is:
(while increasing clocks) Prime95 for 20 min without a worker failing.
(attaining my desired clock) prime95 for an hour without a worker failing, followed by a gaming session. my current games for testing are Skyrim. Borderlands 2, Crysis 3, Shadow Warrior. once i get back on my own internet (at my mothers while i appartment search) i also have Thief 4, Bioshock infinite, Crysis 1 and 2, Carmageddon Reincarnation, Tomb Raider and UT3 to test with. once i can download them and not utterly destroy my mom's bandwidth that is.. :D

Ultimately, i'd like to take my computer to 4.5 ghz. if i can get it higher than that safely, then im all for it, but really my goal for this endeavour before i start working on overclocking my GPU (Sapphire Radeon R9 285 Dual-X) is to get to 4.5

Last edited:
1. Vcore 1 and 2 are temps pretty useless for monitoring.

2. Ai Suite can cause instability. Even to P95 Blend failing. I don't think we have ever recommended Ai Suite to any using AMD AM3+ mobo.

3. This thread is on page #4 and we need to see a signature so that we don't have to return to first page or so everytime to find out what parts and pieces are being used.

4. Without seeing CPUz, Memory Tab captured and attached to forum and without seeing CPUz with CPU Tab captured and attached to forum and without seeing CPUz with SPD tab captured and attached to the forum and HWMonitor captured while it had been running or at least 'was' running during P95 Blend mode...it is hard to tell much since we are not at your monitor.

I say that for sure since it is all we get as a picture of the situation at your end. I just had a run at FX-8350 that was getting close to HI temps since I am on air and had to lower my CPU_NB because it would get too hot if I added enough CPU_NB voltage to be able to up the CPU_NB speed. If we had the captures we could look and see what seems what from way off out here in space. Hehehe
RGone...ster.

AIsuite causes instability? hmm. did not know this. thats a bummer.

i'll make a sig after this reply.

Rgone those screens are on page one. i'll put my machine through a 20min load at my current speed for you though and re-post them. its at [email protected] right now.

It helps us help you if we know exactly where everything is set and looking back when trying to help multiple people makes it tougher on us, hence the reason why Rgone asked. I would suggest backing down to 4.3 and then trying to pass 2 hours of blend. This way you have a known stability point when pushing further. We suggest 20 minutes of blend only as tentative stability until you get to a point where getting it where we would call it stable is necessary. It can be a lot easier to push the Oc higher if you have a fall back overclock that you know is stable and you can work from.

From the looks of it you do have a bit of headway still, it might just be easier to bump the FSB a few times rather than go for a multiplier bump. This will only raise it 20MHz at a time. With the timings you're using you can likely do it without raising the ram voltage as well but I would bump it to at least 1.55v just for peace of mind.

One minor change I made that may help me going forward is that I moved my fan inputs so that cpu_fan and cpu_opt are the top and back fans, cha_fan 1-3 are the front and side fans, and cha_fan 4 is the pump, which has pwm disabled and runs at max all the time now.

Next I'm going to try to get some vrm cooling going, and see about sticking a fan behind my cpu.

FeapDoOh.jpg

Want to get temp down a little before continuing my over clock.
I may still be in the green, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to up voltage to keep going and the temps will climb. So I might as well deal with this now.

(^_-)

Last edited:
That's a good plan Kaz, it will help the socket a bit I think but it's you're core that's going to be the issue. At least from what I see now. Maybe the pump speed will help some. too bad you don't have room for another fan on that rad. Maybe with a shroud you could manage it like this one http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ofile_Fan_Adapter_-_Black.html?tl=g47c121s262

This is what I put on the back of my mobo held with 2 sided tape

Capturefan.PNG

2x50mm Fractal fans on the VRM and NB heatsinks
20141103_182435.jpg
1x120mm slim Gelid fan on back of case, blowing air down onto CPU socket + area behind VRM heatsink
20141103_182813.jpg

:>

Will edit on Temps post-modification once i do a load.

Edit:
HWMON20minload2.JPG

Overall my temps on the Cpu Socket went down 7 degrees. nice. :)

Last edited:
The lowered temps look good man...

...but let us be honest here, if you had done the mods by adding the 2x50mm fans and the one to the rear of the cpu socket > suspicion your original cooler might have been close. Original cooler not equal or lower but close.

Here is what I mean and it is just from seeing the same over and over again. The H-60 for some very odd reason beats the H-90 some but with more noise. From the reviews I looked thru it seems the H-90 was to 'in size' compete with the competition and be quieter. Not so much about 'more' cooling power. A thing I don't like about most cooling reviews now days is they use Intel cpus and that is just not the same when the cooler in question is stuck on top of a greatly overclocked FX 6 or 8 core processor. That configuration has huge heat amounts. Huge.

The changes you have made that show dropped temps in post just above are good. They do give you a little head room. I do believe there is a great enough performance increase between 4.3Ghz and 4.5Ghz to be worth the effort to "get there". You might make it now but I doubt anymore than 4.5Ghz.

For your results I really wish you had spent some coins for a case that would have supported a twin fan radiator setup and it with push/pull fans. That configuration would have been more muscular cooling wise. But all things have a limit. i am guessing that where you are might allow for that 4.5Ghz but do not have dreams of more, which likely will not be doable. I just could not get pumped up over the H-90 after seeing some air coolers costing about the same...stay with the H-90 in testing.

You have worked hard and made a household move at the same time. Awesome. Good luck man.
RGone...ster.

Back