• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time OCing. need hand held >.> (FX8350 on Sabertooth 990fx r2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, as Rgone suggested the memory frequency, cpu/Nb frequency & ht link spread were all stepped down one step.

Atm

Memory @ 1579
Cpu/nb @2370
Ht link @2844

Above calculated @ 19x multi and 237 bus.

Volts @1.3875

I've dropped the cpu/nb frequency and ht link down another step and the volts are back up to 1.4v

Worker 8 fails yet again.

Allways seems to be worker 8

Now up to 1.404v (lol 404 voltage not found)

Testing again

Worker 8 again

Last edited:
"k_off" make us a signature man with as much info as the character/line limit will allow. Like the info in my sig below. I wanted to know what ram you are using and instead of seeing a signature with information about ram...well you know I have to look back in thread to find out.
RGone...ster.

EDIT:
You show a signature but not in post above. You must be on a cell phone. My bad.
END EDIT.

Rgone i have one, but when i reply on the mobile device, the sig doesnt show

Currently testing at (i believe) 1.41v
Fail
Testing 1.42
Fail

Ok seriously i need to step from like 1.36 for 4.3 to 1.43+ for 4.4 or 4.5? that seems like a rather substantial jump.

Last edited:
Sometimes it goes that way. Now when you were testing with multi only what volts did you need?

i had needed 1.44v. and the temps were the same as what i have with multi+fsb clocking at 1.42V

Update: Successfully completed 4.48ghz at 1.42v. after it failed on 4.51Ghz i got irritated and turned down my FSB a couple points. Test is still running, at about 30 min. no fails yet.

Pics:
2YPMQ5e.png
Ma9HcMm.png

well it spit me out Illigal_sumount after 50 minuites of stressing but it seems ok. going to do real world testing on it.

@"k_off", I thought you actually were a little better off using multiplier only??? The ram was surely running faster if not to tight timings. These cpus can be so different that they drive us really crazy from such a great distance since we don't get a full sense of what is happening.

If I had had to depend on forum posts to tweak these two mis-matched kits of ram to run together and run P95 Blend for 2 hours...eveyone would have been nuts and I would have never made it. The BAD part was on my original CHV and not this CHV-z...the whole dang thing was easier and oh shett far to much faster.

I have three FX-8350s and this one if I remember from tests on it a year or so ago, it had a weak IMC and took a lot of CPU_NB to run well. When I loaded it down with 4 sticks for 16 gigs and that from a kit of DDR3-1600 and the other a kit of DDR3-1866 and this CPU...the whole thing tried to kick me in ahoLe. Oh after at least 1.5 hours i got it P95Blend stable alright, but I believe I had to loosen the timings a bit for it to run. Supposed to be a better board, but in this case I think it is a cpu issue.

You may have a wonky CPU as well and if so there is little you can do. I had to take what this particular FX-8350 would let me have and be glad I guess since I wanted right at 4.6Ghz on air AND 16gigs ram for my video editting. The setup of my newly purchased version of earlier video program was another exercise in scratching head and arse at same time. Hehehe. I did finally get the whole schmear tweaked to a 1 to 3 ratio. For evey 3 mins to be rendered it took 1 minute of render which in my mind is pretty quick. But I started at 1:2 and was peed off for sure.

We have to take what we can get. That is why I never recommend the 9370s or the 9590s since one needs to save as much on cpu as he can so he can sell and try another if his results are not so sweet. Luck man.
RGone...

I think the volts and temps were pretty similar, although Kazelhoff has set the LLC differently now . Back here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...th-990fx-r2)?p=7752979&viewfull=1#post7752979 the volts were hitting 1.488 and now it's steady at 1.476. Like you said though RGone other variables could use some attention.
I found that my 8320 did very well using multiplier only TBH. Comparing to other subs at HWBot I was actually doing better in most cases at lower speeds. :shrug:

Like you said though RGone other variables could use some attention.
I found that my 8320 did very well using multiplier only TBH. Comparing to other subs at HWBot I was actually doing better in most cases at lower speeds. :shrug:

Multiplier only does in fact work with some of the FX 8 core cpus. Most will respond to the FSB plus Multiplier but when one hates it what you gonna do? Do the thing that works. Plus multiplier only works more easily with ram and other buss settings since they are not involved in multiplier overclocking.

We or make that noone knows how their silicon will work until tested. I think as well he is getting by with a little less VCore but as you said there are still at least a couple of more areas like ram speed that needs attention. I think I will stop suggesting for a while and let him take a break and use his rig. He seemed satisfied with making 50mins P95 Blend before error sumout, which is not too bad. So me be thinking it might be time to give OP a break. Hehehe. We all need one every now and again.
RGone...ster.

So my overclocking adventure has come to a bit of a standstill for the next month and a half

While i wait for components.

No, Not a full Watercool setup.

nzxt-h440_razer-edition_940x573_301014.png

^Preordered.

Considering i have a Razer Blackwidow keyboard, a Razer Naga Mouse, A Razer Kraken Pro headset, a Razer eXactmat mousepad, Razer Hammerhead Pro Headphones for my cell phone... plus my Monitor base + Cellphone BOTH have Razer logo stickers on them..... seemed like a good fit.

plus the case is Full Water compatible, has room for an H100i / H110, OR (as im really hoping to find somewhere) a swiftech h220x (this thing is ballin') Acoustically insulated and matches basically ALL my components....

I, folks, am one excited Lil' Nerd.

The H440 seems like a really excellent case. better than my Shinobi in any case. :p

:>

You Guys were right. in more than one way.

First, the H90, while nice, Doesn't provide a whole lot more cooling than the previous cooler i had. to be honest im completely fine with that. i wanted the AIO cooler for the Clean look it provides the interior of the machine with. thats why i went with the Motherboard i chose. and the White LEDs. And Not super funky fans. and a fairly plain looking case.

But the case is Cause #1 limitation to continuing my journey Its a cheap case. i got it cause it was cheap. i was always pretty sure i was going to need to upgrade the case. its a nice enough case, but its noisy and kind of limited in options.

Secondly... This is an addictive hobby. i could see myself going full watercool in the future i've always loved the idea of just that. now i have the ability to do so.

So yeah. I'll totally update you guys once i get the case, do a whole picture series or video for it.

Last edited:
Man all that green I can't help but think Nvidia. Looks like a nice case either way K_H

Razer make some nice stuff. Not up on their cases but their keyboards and mice are top notch.

Agreed bass. The h440 is Razer's first case. And in fairness it's not their case at all, they've simply licenced their branding to NZXT. I've looked the very idea of that company since I heard about the first boomslang mouse Back in the mid 90s

Best of all the h440 supports, if I really wanted too, two 3 fan long rads. Lol. It's only a mid case but it's fully water ready. No 5 1/4 bays though.

Agreed bass. The h440 is Razer's first case. And in fairness it's not their case at all, they've simply licenced their branding to NZXT. I've looked the very idea of that company since I heard about the first boomslang mouse Back in the mid 90s

Best of all the h440 supports, if I really wanted too, two 3 fan long rads. Lol. It's only a mid case but it's fully water ready. No 5 1/4 bays though.

So you'll need an external CD/DVD for any media you need to install such as Windows etc. That's a bit different.

I've done usb installs since forever lol but I plan to get an extremal Esta box to put a Cd drive in.

Hmm. apparantly External Opticals only come as USB.

:(

Last edited:
Back