• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time OCing. need hand held >.> (FX8350 on Sabertooth 990fx r2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When i got the case, i was under the impression that it would fit something like an H100i, because of the 2x140 mounts in the top of the case. unfortunatly when i actuailly went about mounting the fans..... the ram sockets are in the way on one side, and the 6 pin MB power connector is in the way on the other side, plus the back of case fan, and the real case USB ports and such.

when i have another stretch of time off like i've had the past couple while i moved, perhaps i'll transition my system into a bit bigger case. what i have works for now, and its been fun and educational learning this way. better to learn it the hard way first :p

Kazlehoof include the voltage in the Hwmonitor snip, I'd like to see what they are doing under load.

oh oops

i still have it open, thank god

3FBtz5Y.png

now, off to do some more testing :D

remember: if anyone says "Can i fit H90 in Shinobi Mid ATX?"

NO. not without a hacksaw.

Also, mandrake: one O. two F's. not vice versa. :p

Also, mandrake: one O. two F's. not vice versa. :p
:D someitmes teh finegers mvoe fatser tehn teh brani.

What do you have the voltage set at in the BIOS? I just want to see how much higher the Cpu LLC is pushing it.

shoot, can't remember. lemme look at AI suite (i don't use this for actual overclocking, just for checking values and such. all my overclocking was done from the bios.)

Voltage is set at 1.43125

Most cpus good or bad have at least some difference...

I keep this link to where I listed my Cpu Vcore on FX-8350 and an FX-6300 from about 4.0Ghz to 5.2Ghz I think it was. Keeps the numbers where I can find them for general understanding of what we might see or in some cases, will not see.

Link to my saved Vcore values.

Just an FYI for comparison. Not etched in iron by no freeken means.
RGone...ster.

Interesting. My cpu requires more volts than either of those at 4.5ghz. Considering ones newer and ones older than my cpu I find that interesting. But as you said all CPUs are different. Mine just happens to be like bender from futurama when he got addicted to electricity.

Hehehe

he got addicted to electricity.
Hehehe

That is funny as shet man. Hehehe. You still have your sense of humor which is a very good thing. These puters will drive one nuts if not previously there.

I just got thru easing over to my original home and firing up what I call BigBoy and testing time to do a video render. Same render I just tested here on Exercise in Futility aKa VidEdit. I had already tested render time here with two different video cards hoping or wondering if they assisted the render speed.

IF my 770GTX which is more powerful than either of the other cards tested, then I would remove it and bring it home to put in VidEdit. It was 35 seconds quicker than either of the other Vid cards so out of that compuer it 'came'. I had found on BigBoy that for every min rendered or really converted; it would take 1/2minute. Okay i said.

Took my 770GTX out of BigBoy and came across town and plugged 770GTX into VidEdit and same version of application and same settings in application as far as I can tell (checked 3 times) yet the 770GTX over here is not 30 seconds for each minute to be rendered but more like 40 seconds. That is quite a bit slower. I am going to have to sleep on what is the difference. Oh I know the drives maybe but SSD in both rigs for the program to run from. Just thrown me a freeken curve it seems.

So crazy stuff is all around. Your Vcore...my freeken editting puzzle. If I were you I would drop the multiplier enough to where you can add FSB/HT Freq to equal 4.5Ghz and see if you can drop the Vcore a shade. Might. BE sure to lower the ram speed and the CPU_NB speed and even the HT Link Speed as 'raising' the FSB/HT Ref Freq will raise all three of those other speeds.

In addition, I use FSB/HT Ref Freq upclock to fine tune my ram into an overclock to it since most ram will take a small overclock regardless of brand and no sense in giving any performance away.
RGone...ster.

im a bit nervous to do that, as i dont understand FSB overclocking yet. however, Stepping back my Overclock for the moment might be a good idea until i learn more. im still quite impressed and happy that i put a full extra Ghz on the proc without blowing anything up. :)

Asus upper Tier AM3+ mobos...

...mobos are some of the easiest AM3+ boards to tweak around. A lot of the reason is they did not pick some crazy "other" name to call something by and the settings are laid out in a pretty darn logical order. See image below. Nothing to it if you can multiply FSB times the Multiplier for the Cpu speed result.

SetFSB_CHV.jpg

im a bit nervous to do that, as i dont understand FSB overclocking yet. a full extra Ghz on the proc without blowing anything up. :)

Interesting. My cpu requires more volts than either of those at 4.5ghz. Considering ones newer and ones older than my cpu I find that interesting. But as you said all CPUs are different. Mine just happens to be like bender from futurama when he got addicted to electricity.

Hehehe

They are all different Kaz, I've had a few of these FX critters to date. 9370 was my first surprise would run at 4.8 with 1.428v but then I got this here 8320 on a whim at CC made them price match TD.Ha ha . Well I wound up with a real gem. I can run 5.0 with less voltage than you're using, also managed to run Cinebench 11 at 5.4 with 1.45v. Now I have a bit of a whacky water fun ride here so it will tilt the odds in my favour. But in the end all of my CPU have run on the same water , this one is just exceptional.

That is funny as shet man. Hehehe. You still have your sense of humor which is a very good thing. These puters will drive one nuts if not previously there.

I just got thru easing over to my original home and firing up what I call BigBoy and testing time to do a video render. Same render I just tested here on Exercise in Futility aKa VidEdit. I had already tested render time here with two different video cards hoping or wondering if they assisted the render speed.

IF my 770GTX which is more powerful than either of the other cards tested, then I would remove it and bring it home to put in VidEdit. It was 35 seconds quicker than either of the other Vid cards so out of that compuer it 'came'. I had found on BigBoy that for every min rendered or really converted; it would take 1/2minute. Okay i said.

Took my 770GTX out of BigBoy and came across town and plugged 770GTX into VidEdit and same version of application and same settings in application as far as I can tell (checked 3 times) yet the 770GTX over here is not 30 seconds for each minute to be rendered but more like 40 seconds. That is quite a bit slower. I am going to have to sleep on what is the difference. Oh I know the drives maybe but SSD in both rigs for the program to run from. Just thrown me a freeken curve it seems.

So crazy stuff is all around. Your Vcore...my freeken editting puzzle. If I were you I would drop the multiplier enough to where you can add FSB/HT Freq to equal 4.5Ghz and see if you can drop the Vcore a shade. Might. BE sure to lower the ram speed and the CPU_NB speed and even the HT Link Speed as 'raising' the FSB/HT Ref Freq will raise all three of those other speeds.

In addition, I use FSB/HT Ref Freq upclock to fine tune my ram into an overclock to it since most ram will take a small overclock regardless of brand and no sense in giving any performance away.
RGone...ster.

Don't forget the other one runs at 4.8 GHz

bit of a whacky water fun ride here so it will tilt just exceptional.

Don't forget the other one runs at 4.8 GHz

Naw man I set both to 4582Mhz. Hehehe. But thanks for keeping me on track air Midder fun Tilt water park man. Hehehe.
RGBobert...sterskizzzzzzzzzz

Naw man I set both to 4582Mhz. Hehehe. But thanks for keeping me on track air Midder fun Tilt water park man. Hehehe.
RGBobert...sterskizzzzzzzzzz

That's what I;m here for bud. Unless things are exactly the same it's hard to say where the advantage lies. Ram. mobo, bios etc.. you know what I mean. Even identical systems will vary.

Even identical systems will vary.

Yeah man you can say that again. Ok will...Even identical systems will vary. "koff" seems a good man and if he will take a saw to his case to put the AiO in, then he could be another one duh RCBoyz in disguise. Hehehe

I just wanted him to know that just because the part numbers say it is all the same, does not mean everything will have the same results. Plus showing my bios pic was an effort to unmask the FSB overclock which what us older heads had to do years ago. There was nO multiplier overclock in general so we learned FSB overclock first.

Plus today most boards are pretty tough (not counting MSI AMD boards) and it takes something pretty darn outrageous to let the magic smoke out. Well short of washing the board while it is running. Hehehe. I think it was 2003 the last time I used "blow-up" in my thinking about overclocking. I have managed magic smoke release much easier with a screwdriver while powered on and a soldering iron when turned off. My favorite ways to dork my shett.

But yeah, U gat tuh kEp 'em ole fahts tween uh deetches or'in dey runs offen duh trakz. Hehehe.
RGBobertskisterzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Yeah man you can say that again. Ok will...Even identical systems will vary. "koff" seems a good man and if he will take a saw to his case to put the AiO in, then he could be another one duh RCBoyz in disguise. Hehehe

That's a possibility Bobert, the trepidation won't last for long.

im a bit nervous to do that, as i dont understand FSB overclocking yet. however, Stepping back my Overclock for the moment might be a good idea until i learn more. im still quite impressed and happy that i put a full extra Ghz on the proc without blowing anything up.

@ Kalelhoff, the biggest thing to keep in mind when using FSB is that the other busses will rise with the reference frequency. As RGone pointed out you just need to drop them back accordingly or take other measures such as voltage inreases or timing adjustment where the ram is concerned. All things in good time though.

Tomorrow im going to start playing with the FSB and overclocking my Sapphire Dual-X R9 285 GPU.

i miss the good old days of ATi Tool overclocking. anyone remember that app. that thing was genius. it would stress the card, then clock it up a bit, then stress it, and clock it up a bit and continue till it got artifact-y, then step down a bit and bam done.

Seem to be running into the same issue i was on the Multiplier overclock.

im currently at x21, 210 bus (4.4ghz and the volts needed for a stable clock are shooting up.

right now at 1.38v, no stable oc yet.

It'll come, did you do anything with bus and ram speeds?

Back