• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2000w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That is definitely not the norm. A standard 15A circuit breaker will trip after apx 1800W. This is partly why most manufacturers stop at 1600W.

Its trickery I tell you they are crazy stats . I was only looking as my psu is old i bought a corsair 1200 AX way back its still running fine . Is it worth getting more modern psu

I can't see a need for that unless you're freezing a high-end multi-card system with LN2. Even then I ran two separate 1K PSUs on different circuits.

Is it worth getting more modern psu
What do you get out of it? Is that worth it to you?

I really don't see a point in such an item unless you're trying to power a folding or mining farm off that thing. Surely your 1.2KW PSU is already overkill......even for the extreme overclocking (single card) you do. :) :thup:

For reference my Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB PLUS 1250W power supply in my AMD system averaged 403W over the last 33.5 days remaining on average 93.7% efficient.

I would pick the power supply by your budget and target power consumption level. For instance if your machine consumes 500W and you buy a gold 1000W power supply you would roughly 90% efficient. If you buy a 1600W Titanium power supply but still only consume 500W you would be roughly 91% efficient. However if you buy a 1200W Titanium power supply you would be somewhere between 92-94% efficient. You actually would be better with a Platinum power supply instead of a titanium if the platinum power supply is less expensive with a 50% or less load because the rated efficiency is the same between the two standards.

Anyways the point is you should be looking at how much power your machine will consume and how efficient of a power supply you can afford in order to know what wattage rating you need to purchase. But yes 2000W is beyond overkill.

Just to give you a idea for what ED was saying. The Evga x299 dark with a OCed i9-7980xe/10980xe will pull 500W+ and then add 2 300w+ GpuÂ’ s (600w total). You are now hitting 1100w on your 1200w PSU and may cause it to trip itÂ’s OCP. This is where a second PSU to split the load comes in as Johan45 mentioned :)

Back