• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3 days until automatic activation (Win 7) After cpu upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walker.

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my cpu so I can do some easier overclocking and now my genuine Win 7 install is acting like its not activated. It's weird because when I'm online it says I'm activated but when I disable the network or unplug the network cable it says 3 days until automatic activation. I even re-entered my code but it just keeps doing the same thing over and over. I've never had this happen after doing a cpu upgrade. It makes me wonder what will happen when these 3 days are up, is it going to lock me out or something? Any idea on how to solve this? Thanks for any insight.

Can you activate it now so you don't have to wait 3 days.

Yes, it lets me activate it right away and says it was successful, but as soon as I disable my NIC or unplug my network cable it says 3 days until automatic activation again. It's like I'm activated only when I'm online and not when I'm offline. Strange.

Yes, it lets me activate it right away and says it was successful, but as soon as I disable my NIC or unplug my network cable it says 3 days until automatic activation again. It's like I'm activated only when I'm online and not when I'm offline. Strange.

Same thing happened to me...never bothered fixing it. :/
I downgraded to Win 8 for some time (lol) and now back to 7, but not activated. :( I use Ubuntu normally, and switch to win for benching and gaming for a while.

You might want to try using the automated phone service for activation. I've had the same problem before when changing out hardware and the phone activation always fixes it.

You might want to try using the automated phone service for activation. I've had the same problem before when changing out hardware and the phone activation always fixes it.

I called the automated phone activation number and I ran into issues. The auto method requires your installation id which is normally displayed on the screen where you activate. Since mine is saying I'm already activated I cannot see this number, or so I thought. I did some googling and I found a command you can run to get this info slmgr.vbs /dlv. So from there I got the number and tried the phone activation again. I was able to enter it successfully but after you give them that number they try to give you a confirmation id number that you are supposed to enter at the activation screen. I cannot see this screen to enter this number because I'm supposedly already activated.

So then I try to talk to an actual person at the phone activation center and after explaining this to her she tells me I'm caught in a loop and that I will need to contact customer support. I called customer support and after waiting 30 minutes for someone to answer I finally just hung up.

My new plan is to just wait until these 2 days are up and then try to activate through windows again and hopefully it will finally activate me.

I actually bought the retail version to avoid this sort of thing, I thought only the OEM versions made you do this. I've only changed motherboards once with this copy of Windows, so this is all unexpected.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If you're already activated, then yes, you probably wont see the required screens with install ID, etc.

If you have the X days until activation message, then you should be able to choose to activate now via the internet or phone service. When you choose "other ways to activate" and choose phone and click through, you should end up on a screen with the install ID and empty boxes for what the automated phone service gives you.

So, you could try to disable/unplug the network to force the X days remaining message, then try to click through to the phone screen with install ID and empty boxes.

My experience has all been from the OEM version of Windows, so I'm not familiar with how the retail version acts in situations like this.

There is a way to uninstall your CD key, then I would guess that Windows would complain about not being genuine.

If your key is legit, you should be able to re-use the key.

By uninstalling you key however, Windows will be de-activated and "Not Genuine" It will say.

I used this process when I had to reinstall after setting up my RAID array so it does work--useful for old cd keys, just recycle them!

Just a suggestion, be careful because I'd rather not see you loose your Windows copy.

Silver_Pharaoh

EDIT: Had to remove the link, as it violates Micorsoft EULA and is not allowed here at OC forums. Sorry.

Last edited:
Back