• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

420 aio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My new rig that I am making for gamming I am going to use this to cool my i7-14700k.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-01 105511.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-01 105511.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 7
Cool! I have one, and it does well with a 14900K too. ;)

Why is the thread title a question? The post states you're getting it. Do you have a question about it or..........?

Gaming = one 'm'. :)

Ya I was just wounding how people use 420mm aios.
The same way you use the other ones? I'm not sure what you're asking.... fitment?

I'm mean, obviously, you'd need a case that supports that size AIO. I beleieve my Hyte 60 does(?), otherwise I don't know of any off the top of my head (there are a lot out there), but you can look at specs of whatever case to see if it supports that size.

EDIT: A '420' (3x140mm) AIO isn't really common... you'd be better served with a 3x120mm AIO as that also is A LOT more common and would also easily handle your 14700K.

I already have a case that can fit in front the top and bottom. And what I meant was how are people temps on their systems.

And what I meant was how are people temps on their systems.
Now we're cooking with fire!

As I said earlier, it handles a 14900K...it will handle your 14700K. Other people's temps are largely irrelevant as there are so many different variables between systems that even if they have same cooler, it's a different ambient temp, chassis, fan speed, etc. During a stress test or Cinebench R23 or newer, it's probably still going to throttle, but that's how these chips work, really (depending on the mobo, yours will allow it to reach 100C - normal, during those tests). During gaming and other, much lighter loads, it won't come close to that.

Again, a simple 3x120mm would be fine for your CPU, if you'd like to save some money (this feels wasteful to me with 14700k) with your piece-meal purchase plan. :)

Now we're cooking with fire!

As I said earlier, it handles a 14900K...it will handle your 14700K. Other people's temps are largely irrelevant as there are so many different variables between systems that even if they have same cooler, it's a different ambient temp, chassis, fan speed, etc. During a stress test or Cinebench R23 or newer, it's probably still going to throttle, but that's how these chips work, really (depending on the mobo, yours will allow it to reach 100C - normal, during those tests). During gaming and other, much lighter loads, it won't come close to that.

Again, a simple 3x120mm would be fine for your CPU, if you'd like to save some money (this feels wasteful to me with 14700k) with your piece-meal purchase plan. :)
So, it's doing nothing if I put it in push pull confg? And what about under volting I have heard about this but never tried it.

So, it's doing nothing if I put it in push pull confg? And what about under volting I have heard about this but never tried it.
Not really, no. In your case, more power use and noise for little to no gains.

As far as undervolting, it's just as it says, you lower the voltage to lower temps. There are different ways to do it, depending on how you want to run your CPU. But yeah, you can use a negative offset and leave things at stock to improve temps.

EDIT: Take a look here (details at the end) - https://www.overclockers.com/forums...r-13600k-optimization-oc-undervolting.804754/

Last edited:
wow... what a price! $124.99 on sale.

a 360 vs 420mm AIO... i hate to say it, but is really more of a cosmetic choice based on the other fans you have in the case, if you have a side window showing the motherboard compartment. If you're using 120mms everywhere, then you'd prolly want a 360; 140mms? use the 420 AIO for uniformity. If you're going for performance, then you'd prolly replace the fans on the radiator to get the noise / pressure/ cfm ratio you want. well, that's what i'd do anyway. I'm the weirdo who likes all my fans in the case to be the same if possible. Too bad the 420 AIO i cosmetically liked didn't come out til AFTER i had already installed the 360... oh well... /sigh

wow... what a price! $124.99 on sale.

a 360 vs 420mm AIO... i hate to say it, but is really more of a cosmetic choice based on the other fans you have in the case, if you have a side window showing the motherboard compartment. If you're using 120mms everywhere, then you'd prolly want a 360; 140mms? use the 420 AIO for uniformity. If you're going for performance, then you'd prolly replace the fans on the radiator to get the noise / pressure/ cfm ratio you want. well, that's what i'd do anyway. I'm the weirdo who likes all my fans in the case to be the same if possible. Too bad the 420 AIO i cosmetically liked didn't come out til AFTER i had already installed the 360... oh well... /sigh
I am replacing the fans to one brand for the whole rig.(y)

I was really never a fan of AIO coolers. I figured if I'm going to build a high powered rig and I want it to be cool and quiet, I'd spend a few more dollars for a custom loop. But then that's me :cool:

I can understand people go that route so as to keep the routine maintenance down to a minimum. AIO cooling has come a long way since it first came out.

Good luck with the new build and be sure to post pics.

I was really never a fan of AIO coolers. I figured if I'm going to build a high powered rig and I want it to be cool and quiet, I'd spend a few more dollars for a custom loop. But then that's me :cool:

I can understand people go that route so as to keep the routine maintenance down to a minimum. AIO cooling has come a long way since it first came out.

Good luck with the new build and be sure to post pics.
I like simple.:cool:

Back