• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

£700 gaming rig advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N-pie

Hello everyone,

I've been working on the components list for a PC that costs about £700 (monitor, keyboard et al. not included). I think I have a good setup for what I want to do which is mainly reasonably high end gaming, but I would like some feedback.

Case - Corsair Carbide 400r
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-700G
CPU - Intel i5 2500K
CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev. 2
Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V LX
Optical Drive - Sony 24x Internal DVD Rewriter + SATA Power Cable
GPU - Gigabyte nVIDIA GTX560TI
RAM - GSkill 8GB(2x4GB) XL Ripjaws X
HDD - 1Tb Dell WD1003FBYX

Is there anything you would change or recommended? This is my first build so fire away!

Thanks

You use Pounds. Where are you located and where are you buying from?

I would change the PSU and CPU cooler, and probably the motherboard as well. But depends on stock and what not.

I would change the PSU probably.. But depends, again, on availability and pricing for you; I would change the CPU cooler to a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (or Evo).

And perhaps the motherboard to a Z68 Asrock Extreme 3.. (The Extreme 3 allows for 8x 8x SLI/XFire I believe. The board you listed only has 16x and 4x PCIE slots. So it won't allow it. But if you only wish to run a single GPU, stick to the Asus board; but you could drop that power supply for sure. 700W is way too much for a single card system running Sandy Bridge)

You use Pounds. Where are you located and where are you buying from?

I'm getting most of the parts from Amazon. It's the cheapest I've found including shipping to Northern Ireland, but some of the stuff I'm getting from ebuyer.

I'll definitely take your advice about the changes.

If you can get any parts cheaper from ebuyer go for it. Otherwise this is how I would build it.. Bit over budget.. but ya.. That WD Dell whatever HDD you listed is out of stock. I'm not sure why it's named under Dell... Hence the Spinpoint F3.

Forget that PSU.. I don't think it's the model I thought it was. (The newer model is partially modular and far better... I think that's the older one)

So, get this instead Corsair CX v2 500 Slightly cheaper too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-12 at 9.08.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-12 at 9.08.45 PM.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-12 at 9.08.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-12 at 9.08.54 PM.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-12 at 9.09.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-12 at 9.09.00 PM.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 32
It's one of Asus' older DC cooling units; but it's a solid buy. I would personally pay the extra for the MSI I linked; but if you're going for the best bang/buck in terms of raw performance. That's a great solid buy. Go for it if you like ^^.

Can you link me to the one you posted? I can't find it on Amazon for the price in your picture.

Back