• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A "How-To" on Borging

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi guys, I'm newish to folding - I get the idea of the borging but early on in this post you were saying how to make sure you get GROMACS and not TINKER - what's the reason for this?

Gromacs tend to be faster to be folded...gnerma's guide that is a must read for every folder! (p4 or no)

goatma/gnerma's guide ;)

It will answer a lot of your questions about gromacs, and what will fold better in different instances..good luck folding...and fold on!

'Bump

I just set up both machines as a service. I used the installer and used the reg key installer too.

Did I just get two reg keys?

Did the installer just change the gramacs key to the non gramacs flagged regkey if I used the installer after the reg installer?

Can I just run the reg key installer one last time to insure the SSE gromacs switches?

Edit: I just got a tinker because...

NOTE: YOU MUST INSTALL THE REGISTERY KEY INSTALLER AFTER THE SETUP.EXE OR YOU WON'T GET THE GROMACS FLAGS SET IN THE REGISTRY.

Last edited:
Penguin4x4 said:
Well I got you beat on the fastest way, Wedo. Download this file:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/adunlap/FAHServiceInstall.zip

Do Steps 1-5

Then

1.) Merge The REG File

2.) Install Setup.exe

:D

You need to switch those around Penquin4x4.

The setup installer delibertly leaves out the SSE gromacs flags so it won't screw up non SSE machines.

After the install you merge the regedit file so it will overwrite with the advanced flags.

Then go the the sevices manager and stop and then restart the FAH service so you'll have the new flags set in the client.

I just found out the hard way and ended up with a tinker.

Fixed the problem, dumped the tinker and now crunching on a gromacs.

Last edited:
2 questions:

Can I follow Wedo's instructions to do a service install on Win 98?

Do you still get the 'you need to close this program before shutting down' message?

I'm not sure if these questions make me stupid or not, I'm sure you'll let me know ;)

I was skimming through here and didn't see anything about multiple intances, how do you have them as a service? I'm not great at creating registry entries, heck I'm not even good at it, but if someone could hellp figure this one out, I'd be greatful

Rock

Create separate FAH folders like FAH1, FAH2 etc.

Put the latest FAH3Console.exe in each one.

Use the installer to set up each instance as an existing installation. Configure each one with a differant machine ID# and team 32 of course.

lastly, edit the fah.reg to include -local in addition to the other flags. Then merge it through the right click option.

There's another thread here somwhere that covers dual procesors.

marklar said:
2 questions:

Can I follow Wedo's instructions to do a service install on Win 98?

Do you still get the 'you need to close this program before shutting down' message?

I'm not sure if these questions make me stupid or not, I'm sure you'll let me know ;)

Unfortunately the service installer does not work on Win98.

As to the close program message, search the forums for mentions of Black Viper. He has a web page of Windows tweaks and I belive that they include settings for faster shutdowns that will keep Win from asking about shutting down individual progs first.

Asking for help shows you know your limitations, and I've never known that to make a person seem stupid, just the opposite in fact;)

DWolf:cool:

PS WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!

portorock said:
Yeah, I already had everything set up so it just continued from where I left off

You may want to double check your FAH logs to make sure they have all four flags set. If the -advmethods and -forceasm flags aren't set, you'll keep running the gromacs WU but when finished you'll pick up a tinker. If not just restart both through the sevice contol panel and it should set the flags -service -advmethods -forceasm -local.

Back