• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IC7-MAX3 or Asus P4C800-E Deluxe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

I recently got a brand new Gigabyte GA-8KNXP Ultra and I'm having tons of problems with it, so I want to go for either the Abit IC7-MAX3 or the Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, but I can't decide which one. Any opinions?

Is there much difference between the IC7-G and the IC7-MAX3? I heard the Asus has voltage fluctuation problems. Is the tiny fan used by the OTES system or whatever on the IC7-MAX3 loud? I'm trying to go as high as I can oc with a watercooling setup, so I need a rock solid mobo for oc'ing. I'd like to hear thoughts on which board you think is better. Thanks guys!

For me I like the Abits better. that is because my plain IC7 is doing better than My p4c800e-d with the same ram and chip 2.8c
My results seem to be backwards from others who have better luck with the ASUS boards (luck of the draw i guess)

Is there much difference between the IC7-G and the IC7-MAX3

secure IDE, OTES, and more VDIMM (which has some issues on certain boards)

I heard the Asus has voltage fluctuation problems.

Not so ez fix with parts from radioshack:) Just google for a droop mod on a p4c800. I've dont it but the parts to solder to are very small.

In the end you will like either of these mostly personal preference. And its about time i saw a felow pittsburgher here :)

Check the abit forums to see when the vcore stability fix is supposed to be implemented on the MAX3. All of you who have one can now RMA your board and have the fix installed. If this has been implemented on the boards that are in the retail channel now then there is no reason not to get the MAX3.

The P4C800-E Deluxe is a nice mobo, I like Abit and the IC-7 line is a popular choice, but after 2 of the IC-7's Northbridge heatsinks falling off on two different boards, I gave up on Abit.

Asus usually uses better components than the majority of Motherboard makers, but recently Asus had to recall some AMD Asus K8v Deluxe's, so maybe Asus is slipping.

Maybe flip a coin to decide on a Abit IC7-MAX3 or Asus P4C800-E Deluxe ;)

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe is the one I have and I have yet to have a problems with it. Best of luck with what ever board you get.
Maybe flip a coin to decide on a Abit IC7-MAX3 or Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

Well, I plan on using a nb wb, so I guess the heatsink falling off won't be much of an issue for me. It seems that both are top notch boards. Anyone know how loud the OTES fan is? I'm really picky about noise, especially high-pitched small fan noise, haha!

Read about the voltage problems on the MAX3, I guess I could do it myself, but I don't want to crack off the wrong component and get no help replacing it.

Anyone know if they're going to issue a fix for the Asus's voltage fluctuation problems? Is Asus aware of it as Abit is aware of theirs? Or am I just going to have to Radio Shack it...

Thanks for your help guys!

well i have an Abit IC7 Max3 i have no problems with it, it is also very quiet... all i can hear with 6 case fans 1 cpu fan 1 chipset fant, a fortron 530 fan, and the otes fan is an airflow sounding whisper. only problem is my memory benchmarks about the same as PC3200 maybe a little less. i think the Abit has compatability problems with memory over 3200. but runs fine i haven't overclocked anything on it simply because i havent the experience with o/c'ing yet.. i am thinking of getting an Asus as well and either building another system or trading them off to see which one preforms better.. lol which i got pretty lucky off of getting, im building a system for my mom and she is trading me a 3.2 for a 3.0ghz p4 and buying me a mobo for building a system for her

I just got my asus 2 weeks ago and it's a rev 2. The voltage fluctuations are still there. As far aas I know the droop mod is the only way to fix

That sucks... I guess I'm really torn between Abit and Asus then. I wish there were more of a selling point for either board, haha! Can the OTES fan be switched off?

I've had an Asus board before, and it worked pretty well. Never had Abit, but it seems to be the overclocker's choice. Maybe I should write to Asus and ask them about the voltage problems.

Hey d]g[ts, is the fix hard to perform? Any chance of exposing sensitive components to too much heat with the soldering? I'm a little rusty with my soldering iron. Haven't used it since I built a transistor radio back in '93. I'm pretty sure I could easily turn my mobo into an expensive hotplate!

i tested a ic7-max3, and the otes fan is very quiet. i had my ear up to it and could barely hear it. i wouldn't let the concern of that fan sway your decision.

I have been an ASUS buyer for years. I never have had problems with their MB's or Video cards. I did buy 2 ABIT Th7II last year but for some reason i don't remember but i didn't like them. I'm back to ASUS mb's again. Check sig

Burning Phoenix, i am planing on getting the same combu you just recieved (2.4c Northy w/ the ASUS P4C800) so tell me what ya think of it :)

Unless your proc is steady on low voltage, then the P4C800 is fine. Because the vcore fluctuation in my experience, can't keep my OC steady. My MSI even OCs better than the Asus. I do have an Abit on the way though.

BTW I also destroyed my Asus doing the droop mod which is soooooo hard to do.

I've always prefered Abit infront of Asus. Abit has always worked flawless and I like Abit's BIOS more than Asus...:)

Back