• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AHCI, RAID, or IDE configurations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its plugged in where you told me to plug it in. Originally, I had said the SATA III 6G ports were black, when in fact they are brown, and that is where I plugged both the SSD and HDD into. I will be plugging a new 150 GB HDD into the brow SATA III 3G port (there are 4 of them) when it arrives today, which is where I have my ODD also plugged in.

Gotcha. The black ports are SATA II 3G, btw, I think that was just a typo in your previous post that threw me off.

Try switching the HDD that isn't being recognized to a black SATA II 3G port. If it doesn't show up then, I'd try downloading SeaTools for DOS and checking the drive with it. I had a flaky WD Caviar Blue that would sometimes show up and sometimes not, it ended up needing an RMA.

Gotcha. The black ports are SATA II 3G, btw, I think that was just a typo in your previous post that threw me off.

Try switching the HDD that isn't being recognized to a black SATA II 3G port. If it doesn't show up then, I'd try downloading SeaTools for DOS and checking the drive with it. I had a flaky WD Caviar Blue that would sometimes show up and sometimes not, it ended up needing an RMA.

No need, once I got online, activated, and downloaded critical updates, the drive showed up in disk management. It is now formatting for use, but not the "quick format".
Apparently, Windows does NOW require you to activate and download critical updates BEFORE you're given full access, function, and features.

Or one of the critical updates fixed a bug that stopped certain hard drives from showing up in disk management...seems like a more logical solution to me.

Windows Update still works in that 30 day grace period, by the way, you can update before you activate.

Or one of the critical updates fixed a bug that stopped certain hard drives from showing up in disk management...seems like a more logical solution to me.

Windows Update still works in that 30 day grace period, by the way, you can update before you activate.

Not with this brand new edition just released July 15,2012. Maybe earlier editions, but not this one or any future editions. You might want to make a note of that and check the MS Windows update website (if you haven't recently)

Remember, you're probably more use to OSX and haven't installed a Windows OS in X number of years, or maybe you have, I really can't say, but I really do appreciate all the help you've provided helping me to resolve my issues.

Edition? Edition of what?

The last time I installed Windows was probably two weeks ago, lol. After I spend much time modding several instillation ISOs into a single all-in-one installation disk for every version of Windows 7, both 32 and 64 bit.

I frequently reimage machines for family and whatnot, activation is usually the last thing I do. Updates and common software is almost always done first.

I am 100% sure that typing "Windows Update" in the start menu search bard, hitting enter, clicking check for updates, and clicking install updates works completely without activating windows.

Last edited:
+1. I dont see a new Windows "edition" released 7/15 (at least google didnt mention it)... not sure what you are saying PP...

Then assume you install a Mac OS? What is going on here? LOL?

Apparently, Windows does NOW require you to activate and download critical updates BEFORE you're given full access, function, and features.
Nope. Bad assumption, thats a leap of faith you took that didnt work out. :)

Now if I can just figure out the best method to transfer files from my laptop to my new rig. Seems like I could use my DSL modem since both are connected to it. Oh well, I still got a lot of programs to install first.

MAC?? you gotta be kidding man. lol
Well, the main thing is now this freakin Windows is working as it should. Maybe I outta look into OSX since there's no such thing as "issues" with that huh?

If they're both fairly new machines and you plug an Ethernet cable into both, the network controllers should detect it's connected to another computer and switch to crossover mode, they should show up as drives in each other's Explorers. Or you can just use a crossover cable if you happen to have one on hand.

The other method would be to take the laptop hard drive out and just plug it into your desktop, SATAs plenty fast. xP. Assuming your laptop doesn't have an IDE drive in it.

Only reason I'm on OSX right now is because the only other operation rig in the house has a 4000RPM Delta as the back exhaust (I didn't have anything else on hand) and you can only sit next to that thing for so long, lol.

Edition? Edition of what?

The last time I installed Windows was probably two weeks ago, lol. After I spend much time modding several instillation ISOs into a single all-in-one installation disk for every version of Windows 7, both 32 and 64 bit.

I frequently reimage machines for family and whatnot, activation is usually the last thing I do. Updates and common software is almost always done first.

I am 100% sure that typing "Windows Update" in the start menu search bard, hitting enter, clicking check for updates, and clicking install updates works completely without activating windows.

Oh I won't deny that, and probably was the critical update more so than the activation is what solved my issue. I had just left the check box "auto activation" checked when I installed windows and entered a password. I figured it had to be activated sooner or later.

Seems like you service a lot of network computers or workstations since you do a lot of imaging. I had a buddy in college that did that for Chevron, like 250 workstations in a night shift as a MCSE. Of course, that was 10 years ago. I've just been out of the "loop" for a long time, and if you don't use it, you lose it.

If they're both fairly new machines and you plug an Ethernet cable into both, the network controllers should detect it's connected to another computer and switch to crossover mode, they should show up as drives in each other's Explorers. Or you can just use a crossover cable if you happen to have one on hand.

The other method would be to take the laptop hard drive out and just plug it into your desktop, SATAs plenty fast. xP. Assuming your laptop doesn't have an IDE drive in it.

Only reason I'm on OSX right now is because the only other operation rig in the house has a 4000RPM Delta as the back exhaust (I didn't have anything else on hand) and you can only sit next to that thing for so long, lol.

My laptop is a Sony PCG NV100 I bought in 2002 and has XP Pro service pack 2 on it. They're both connected to a DSL modem w/CAT 5, so that might work and I'll see. I looked briefly into the "setup files transfer" wizard on my laptop, but didn't get into that.

Taking the hard drive out of my laptop is not something I feel to comfortable doing, and seems like the long approach in migrating data. Besides, some of the apps might not work on the Win 7 Pro and there could also possibly be malware or viruses on my laptop, but if so, it hasn't affected performance.
Probably the maximum 512MB of RAM on it slows it down more than anything.

Why such a big noisy rig? When you can just go with LGA 2011 or Xeon. lol

That rig is actually a quad core AMD APU with a 6670 in Hybrid Crossfire...whole build was less than $500 xD. The case only came with one intake and it was getting rather hot, so I just threw whatever spare fan I had in there...it just happened to be really loud.

I tried putting a cheap fan controller I had in there... 8W controller didn't like a 19W fan very much.

That rig is actually a quad core AMD APU with a 6670 in Hybrid Crossfire...whole build was less than $500 xD. The case only came with one intake and it was getting rather hot, so I just threw whatever spare fan I had in there...it just happened to be really loud.

I tried putting a cheap fan controller I had in there... 8W controller didn't like a 19W fan very much.

Sorta like putting a Ferrari motor in a Ford Pinto. lol
Thats the problem, ya skimped on da case, but I understand.....
Myself, I know I went quite a bit overboard on the case, but it will probably be the last case I'll ever need, present and into the future since its E-ATX.
The beauty of it is its quiet as a mouse, even with 4 chassis fans (2 front, 2 on top), a pull and push fan on the CPU cooler at the rear chassis, a 50mm fan @ the I/O rear port, plus the chipset fan. I have the option of adding another 140mm fan on the bottom where an air filter exist.
In fact, its quieter than my laptop.

Granted, the cost of "rocking" AMD is half as much as Intel. I've known plenty people with them (AMD), and they're really great for the price. Why I didn't go with one? Who knows, but I guess I'm just one who sticks with whats worked for me in the past.

I got my files and settings transferred over finally after 1:45 minutes, and now using the new rig here.

Back