• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM4 socket with bracket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Does there exist such a thing as an AM4 socket with a bracket/latch, like TR4 or 2011-v3 have? Threadripper is a little beyond the budget I want, but I hate it when I'm pulling an HSF off and the CPU comes out of the socket glued to it, and I don't trust twisting the HSF to loosen it as the effectively-glued-on CPU is just going to twist along with it and possibly bend or break pins.

No there isn't but it does help if you warm things up a bit or use cheap paste like I do.

Warm it up before removing and twist the heatsink along with the slight pull up. That does the trick for me without wanting a latch... but I feel you! :)

Gentle rotation back and forth and sliding the HSF off to the side can also help break the vacuum seal.

I don't pull straight up, I twist and pull the HS at an 45 degree angel. Now for those that use thermal adhesive, DON'T! :)

yeah the brackets are pretty specific to LGA CPUs. I'm sure we've all pulled the CPU out of the socket at least once with a PGA CPU, and the unlucky ones have left a pin behind. Pretty much agree with everything above.

yeah the brackets are pretty specific to LGA CPUs. I'm sure we've all pulled the CPU out of the socket at least once with a PGA CPU, and the unlucky ones have left a pin behind. Pretty much agree with everything above.

So far I've only broken pins off when trying to unbend them :(

Back