• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD and Newegg drop prices on Ryzen 7 CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the heads up neb, but the article even states they don't know if this is a sale or a permanent price adjustment. Also, the article doesn't even talk about it being a response to Intel's newest CPU announcements.

I don't think it matters. They will be concentrating on ThreadRipper processor sales.

This is more like a way to keep attention. Price drops always brings attention...and curiosity. Why did AMD drop prices? For strategy my friends.

Intel is building high thread count processors in response to AMD. Doesn't matter how we word it lol

The link is light on fact and high on speculation. Are AMD adjusting their list price at all? Or is one or more vendor(s) deciding to sell at a lower price? This could simply be supply/demand working. Early on, there's limited supply and a rush of sales, keeping pricing up. Now, it isn't the latest shiny thing and no doubt supply has stabilised, so pricing relaxing a bit isn't unexpected.

Worst case scenario: they're not selling and having to discount to shift...

Intel is building high thread count processors in response to AMD. Doesn't matter how we word it lol
That is true. Not contesting that. Mackerel translated it for me [emoji14]
The link is light on fact and high on speculation. Are AMD adjusting their list price at all? Or is one or more vendor(s) deciding to sell at a lower price? This could simply be supply/demand working. Early on, there's limited supply and a rush of sales, keeping pricing up. Now, it isn't the latest shiny thing and no doubt supply has stabilised, so pricing relaxing a bit isn't unexpected.

Worst case scenario: they're not selling and having to discount to shift...
This is what I was getting at. Even the article was unsure what it was getting at. Furthermore, I was confused at the OP's toe-in with Intel and their technical knockout as there was nothing in the article about Intel.

I'll concede, Intel has the faster products. They also tend to cost more. I prefer to think along the lines of 'is this product fast enough for what I want, and does it fit MY budget' and not the 'I want to go plaid!' train of thought. :)

The comment I made about " technical knockout" was a light hearted pun. AMD is already dropping prices as seen on newegg and other retail sites. Because Intel is coming out with their new chips forces AMD to sell theirs at a discount to catch market shares so they don't lose more money.

It's all about the money people.

Maybe I should start wording my titles more carefully.

I just felt jipped. I was expecting an pro-intel article and got no laughs :(

Thanks for the explanation neb, I usually get drawings made in crayon for future reference [emoji14]

AMD is already dropping prices as seen on newegg and other retail sites.

There is a very big difference between AMD dropping prices, and sellers dropping prices. That's the difference I was looking out for.

Prices have dropped. ....... hmm mmmmm..... not up here in Canada just a 3 or 4 % off Sale price. I don't see amd dropping prices for Ryzen anytime soon. Makes good for comments in forums though.

Intel Was Clearly Blindsided By AMD’s Threadripper

It doesn’t take a genius to realize that Intel had always intended to continue its incrementalism had it got the chance. To date and for the past decade we had only seen Intel leverage its LCC dies for its high-end desktop platform. The fact that the company is going to be leveraging an HCC Xeon die for its high-end desktop platform for the first time, nearly doubling the core count of its flagship CPU after years of incrementalism, speaks volumes. And the fact that these parts will see delayed availability tells us Intel was caught off guard and was clearly not ready for AMD’s Threadripper surprise.

Who were the guys that said Intel planned this again? :D

Last edited:
Back