• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II X4 640

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pr0t0n

Registered
Hi guys,

I got as the title states an AMD Athlon II X4 640 CPU, with that I got a MSI 880GM-E41 motherboard(if that matters).

I searched this forum with the Howto section and I can't find a post with the right information on how far I can go with my type of CPU on voltages, as I am a "newbie" to overclocking I am a bit scared with changing voltages as I don't know if it burns my CPU, I do got extra fans in my case my CPU fan has a "special" fan as it's a big block with a damn big fan on it, bought it with my computer with on my mind that I want to overclock it but never had the chance.

I did notice and just read another post on almost the same CPU just a model earlier, but as stated above I would like to know which voltages I should change, and maybe better if someone has the same model of CPU what theire thoughts are on overclocking this model and what the results were.

I hope someone could help me get started.

If you need more information on other hardware, or whatever please let me know and I'll update my thread.

Well for now, goodnight.

Best regards,

Pr0t0n

The main bios parameters you will need to be concerned with in your overclocking are:

CPU frequency

CPU core voltage

CPUNB voltage and frequency

HT Link Frequency

Memory Frequency

Please note any or all of these may be called something else in your bios. It would be helpful to us if you were to take some digital camera pictures of the relevant sections of your bios where the main overclocking controls are and then attach them with your posts. If you click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window it will allow you to locate saved pics files on your disk, upload and attach them.

First of all many thanks for your positive response trents,

I went inside my bios and checked the parameters you told me, and the input for them seem familiar from what I've read so I feel positive on the overclocking.

And here are the photo's you've asked for:

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 772
A lot of those things I mentioned are here and I've either circled them or underlined them. Let me attach my edited version of the pic you included but check back on this post # because I made add some more comments to it.

Why is #3 grayed out like its not active yet you obviously have adjusted it because stock is not 240 but 200 mhz. Since you don't have a CPU with an unlocked multiplier you cannot speed the CPU up with the "Adjust CPU Ratio". So you must resort to the Adjust CPU Frequency control, what we also call FSB or "front side bus" and is also called HT Reference. I have a feeling access to that control is hidden in either "CPU Specifications" or "CPU Feature". Maybe something is on Auto that needs to be changed to Manual.

Got to go. Wife needs my help in getting ready for company and dinner.

Attachments

• bios.JPG
    bios.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 862
Last edited:
OK, should I just slowly increase those values and see if windows boots?

No, not yet. Let's check out the current values more thoroughly first to see where some problems may already exist. From this bios picture it looks like your or someone else has already tinkered with it.

Have you used any Windows overclocking software to adjust bios values already, like programs that may have come with the motherboard or with AMD Overdrive? Or have you employed any bios overclocking "genies" to do that? If so disable and undo all that stuff. I'll get back to you later.

Well I have used the MSI Control Center, but I didn't noticed any improvements but I also did put that program on the default settings so I guess it didnt undo the changes.

Also when you asked me to get inside the bios for certain pictures I enabled 1 thing "Unlock CPU Core" cause I read somewhere that theres an extra cpu core that needs to be enabled/unlocked.

But I got a bios backup from the original so I can easily put it back.

EDIT: I now remember that yesterday I placed a (FSB)switch on the motherboard on so it should increase the CPU clock with 20%, might that cause the change on the pictures you noticed?
I really hope I don't have to switch it back cause I had to unscrew alot to get near that switch.

Last edited:
Well I have used the MSI Control Center, but I didn't noticed any improvements but I also did put that program on the default settings so I guess it didnt undo the changes.

Also when you asked me to get inside the bios for certain pictures I enabled 1 thing "Unlock CPU Core" cause I read somewhere that theres an extra cpu core that needs to be enabled/unlocked.

But I got a bios backup from the original so I can easily put it back.

EDIT: I now remember that yesterday I placed a (FSB)switch on the motherboard on so it should increase the CPU clock with 20%, might that cause the change on the pictures you noticed?
I really hope I don't have to switch it back cause I had to unscrew alot to get near that switch.

Im affraid you are going to have to switch that switch back to off:cry: and start youre overclocking from the bios only, its the only way to be sure you know whats going on with youre board. There is no extra core to unlock on youre cpu as it is a native x4 meaning there is no extra hidden cores to unlock so leave youre core unlock settings on stock as it only screws youre temp readings and does nothing good for helping, once you are set back to stock you can start from there :attn:

man that sucks, why does msi make that software if it doesnt work properly its just wasting my time.

And for that switch, I'll do that right after dinner.

Thnx for your feedback kenny.

NP. It's not just msi, all software overclocking programmes are not worth the time of day as they are dealing with too many variables to be reliable

So it's back to basics then hehe.

Well kenny as you said I've placed the FSB switch to default, but I saw in my motherboard manual that default means "on" for some reason, but that aside it's now how I got it when I bought it from the store.

I also went in my BIOS and loaded "Fail Safe defaults" cause it was that or "Optimized defaults" and that last one seemed not the right one in this particular case, but if I should have used that one please say and I will load those defaults.

Do you guys need new screenshots from my bios screen or can you still direct me through the old shots?

So it's back to basics then hehe.

Well kenny as you said I've placed the FSB switch to default, but I saw in my motherboard manual that default means "on" for some reason, but that aside it's now how I got it when I bought it from the store.

I also went in my BIOS and loaded "Fail Safe defaults" cause it was that or "Optimized defaults" and that last one seemed not the right one in this particular case, but if I should have used that one please say and I will load those defaults.

Do you guys need new screenshots from my bios screen or can you still direct me through the old shots?
It should not matter which one you choose to boot "fail safe or optimized"as you will change most of the settings anyway.screens from youre cpu-z tabs of SPD, memory and the main cpu tab are what would be great at this point so we can see what settings you have loaded as of now:thup:

so u want screenshot from the program cpu-z? as I understand.

EDIT: the SPD tab is completely gray and empty I don't think it's suppose to, I downloaded the portable version so maybe it's an registration issue.
Do you know how to fix that?

Last edited:
ah thnx alot man!

Now I see why SPD was empty only slot 3 and 4 got the memory, I think I installed the memory in the wrong slots but that's something for later.

Do want a shot of both slots?

I hope this was enough shots:

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
That's great, fist of all turn off coolNquiet and c1e in you're bios as these are power saving features that we don't want turned on, then set you're CPU vcore to 1.425 and raise you're CPU frequency to 220 and drop you're ram down one notch on the ram devider but leave the timings as they are on 9/9/9/24 also lower the ht link frequency and NB to as close to 2000 as you can get, (you can oc the NB later)then do a prime 95 test for 15 mins making sure you're core temp does not exceed 55c(what cooling are you using) if it passes then up you're CPU frequency (fsb) by 10 and try again remembering to keep you're other levels in check

Download HWmonitor to monitor you're core temps while running p95

Last edited:
You are in good hands with these guys. They helped me get this same CPU up to 3.6Ghz, though keep in mind that was only after some considerable cooling upgrades!

Here is the thread if you wanna take a look for reference.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703458

Also not quite sure why your multiplier is all the way down to x4...you probably want something more like between x13-x15

EDIT: Oh I get it now, it was the cool n quiet settings that brought the multiplier down, never had to deal with that before

Last edited:
Disable Cool N Quiet and C1E if you have it in bios and then got to Windows Control Panel Power Options and set it to High Performance. All that should disable the "green" power saving, down=throttling stuff and allow CPU-z to report correct CPU frequencies and voltages.

Yeah make sure you have sufficient cooling for this task. And trents is definitely a good go to person her eon these forums. helped me out quite a bit with my previous 1090t. =P Gluck

Ok, this is alot of information to cover. I'll start by turning off the green power saving then go into my bios to turn off the other two things before I start on the actual overclocking.

And yes the way you guys get me through the overclocking process I know it's done by people who know theire bussiness, glad to have that kind of backup here.

EDIT: I cant identify the exact model of the cooling that I am using, but when I bought it a guy I knew who was working in that computer hardware store assured me that it was "overclocking compatible", it's a pretty big block of cooling which I have used on my older system and it did a hell of a job, so I am not concerned that it cant handle it.
And for the part I am proud of is that I am using the AeroCool XPredator black edition, I didnt know it at that time but when I had to lookup the manual of that case I noticed that it's one of the "best" casings that gamers use.
With that said, I am good at computer software I used to program alot in Windows and Linux, but the downside I am a complete noob at computer hardware I can assemble it but thats as far as my knowledge goes.

When the overclocking is a succes I will make a picture on how my case looks for me it's pretty cool, put alot of money in it.

Right now I am taking notes of your messages so I can start the overclocking in the bios, I will let you guys know how it goes.

And last but not least, special thanks to kenny and trents, and the other guys for reacting on my post.

Last edited:
Back