• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II X4 640

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I like to spend more money on it so I dont have to buy new ones every year.

But I increased the vcore from 1425 to 1430 and the htlink is on 2000 now and core 4 fails/doesnt work after 5 mins of prime95

More vcore , you're starting to reach the chips wall now and from now it will get difficult and take large increases in vcore to make small gains, it's now you're cooler will have to make or break, up the vcore more and see how you go

I cant login on Marc with my iPhone bit i think That vcore increase to 1507 Burnd my motherboard THE temp of it reaches 56 while my CPU temp was 50 plz advice cant boot f atm

1.5v is the max you want to put into it for 24/7 , you probably just need to reset you're CMOS , there will be a jumper on the board with clr/cmos or words like that on it just short the jumper with the little plastic thing that's on it by lifting it over onto the other 2 prongs ie middle one and other end one , or if that sounds too complicated just remove the battery from the board for a minute, replace and reboot

If its busted, RMA it as it is supposedly rated for thuban and it's busted on a quad at 1.5v, poor, that's all I can say MSI hang you're head in shame if it's gone, are you resetting the CMOS with the jumper or the battery, if by battery unplug it from the wall

Did it just shut down or blue screen or what,and do you smell burning, the tell tale sign is a scorched mark on top of one of the mosfets, I feel you're pain it's happened to me lots of times.

I was playing bf3 on my ps3 so dong know but THE lights om my case were flashing then i saw it and no burning smell at all even when i put my hands om THE CPU cooling just à litle bit warm not hot at all

Think That i switch hdd with my webserver till i can buy à new one

Last edited:
If you have just got it then rma that board, it's shocking if it is the board and you deserve a replacement, don't let them get away with it, I wouldn't. The best thing to do is check the board itself for scorch marks and check the CPU in another board and try a different psu on you're board if you have one

Isnt overclocking at my own risk?

Dont got another board to test with and psu works now on my webserver. Almost ready to get back on my hdd

How do they know you have been overclocking ! Just say it was working fine then just went off, you have cleared the CMOS do the bios is set back to stock, msi are renouned for failing mosfets, they have really gone down hill the last few years, I have 2 msi boards and I don't trust either one

Aahhh yes ofc its inside THE bios. Thats à real good one indeed i Will call them tommorrow hope they wont notice it on delivery

It's always w good idea to keep them cool as they are the one thing that risks you're board more than anything else really and msi fets are dying far too often lately.

Are you sure it is the board and not you're CPU?

Last edited:
Well my board is defenitely broken cause if only my cpu was broken I should be able to get this thing started and then I would get a loud hardware error beep before it shuts down.

But if both those things are broken I am getting myself an i7 cpu or better so I dont need to overclock it.

This weekend I will unscrew my board and check for burn marks if not, I call MSI monday to get a new one.

I keep you guys updated, and thanks for your effort in all this.

depends on where you live I guess, here in holland we got a famous site like marktplaats.nl (marketplace) and America has the same with craigslist.com (or something) you could look on sites like that.

But I dont think its the smartest thing to buy a second hand amd, you got a risk that it will fail soon or later.

Goldenamy70, it's fairly unusual for CPUs to fail compared to motherboards.

Sorry you've had such bad luck with this Marc. But people fry boards when overclocking Intels, too. It's human nature to want to squeeze just a little more out of something if you can, no matter how good it is to start with. When you get the now board, put some sinks on those mosfets. When you jumpered the cmos, did you switch the PSU off or unplug it first? And did you wait to turn the power back on before you replaced the jumper to its original position? When I RMA a board I take some office correction fluid ("whiteout") and put a small white mark somewhere on the board so I can tell if they just return the same board or not.

Marc, I would also suggest next time you stick to Asus, ASRock or Gigagbyte boards. MSI boards have more than their share of problems if what we see on this forum is an indicator. They are not nearly the company they used to be in terms of producing quality products.

Last edited:
Yeah, think another brand might be better indeed.

Is there also a CPU that you recommend?

And that fluid tip I will do that indeed I had with other products too that they just send the same thing back with a fix.

Back