• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon II X4 640

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I was getting a bit confused by the diffrent FSB settings, so I went into my bios to checkup on it again, the only FSB setting that was left was my CPU FSB so I increased that by 5 to see how it goes.

I made another pic on how my bios looks like now.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 73
Thats the right one, that controls the speed of you're cpu and all other clocks are linked to it by multipliers or dividers.

ok with the above settings I did 15 mins of stress testing and the temp didnt go higher then 40C(started without prime95 at 15C)

So now I can just keep increasing that fsb till it fails? is it just booting into windows or with every increase I need a stress test?

yes! it's 3,6ghz now and I am running prime95 after every increasing 10 minutes is that enough?

And on what core temp should I be worried?

My motherboard is reaching a temp of 50C (TMPIN0) is that too much?

Last edited:
15 mins minimum for testing and it depends what that sensor is but at a guess I would say socket and 50 is ok, does you're mobo have a heatsinks on the mosfets of you're board?55c core temp is you're limit

I do have heatsinks for my chip I think, I got heatsink but its a guess on what component its placed.

Still not completely sure what the mosfet is.

Just had a look at you're board and there's no heatsinks on you're mosfets but as long as you don't get super hot in you're case you should be ok, the mosfets are the little black chips above the 4 bigger spare block looking things above you're socket there are 7 in a row you need to keep them cool

Ok, yeah well at the end of the month I am planning to order 4 big case fans with alot airflow to keep the rest of the case cool enough.

I am currently at 3,8Ghz and all of the sudden core 1 and 3 arent being used by prime95. So I think this is the limit for my cpu.

What are your thoughts on this?

Marc , can you put some screenshots up of you're settings as they are at now, CPU-z CPU tab ,memory and spd tabs then we will know what's going on with you're oc :thup:

I had this same issue, any higher than 3.6Ghz and my core 4 would starting getting errors in prime 95. I haven't been looking at your bios options, just browsing the thread, but I can say you might be able to go further with the right tweaking. In my case, my BIOS wasn't capable of really delicate settings changes, so I had to stop at 3.6Ghz.

Just had a look at you're board and there's no heatsinks on you're mosfets but as long as you don't get super hot in you're case you should be ok, the mosfets are the little black chips above the 4 bigger spare block looking things above you're socket there are 7 in a row you need to keep them cool

3.8 ghz is generally about the limit on the Athlon II X4's on air cooling.

Pr0t0n, please do us the courtesy of summarizing your system info in your "Sig". Go to Quick Links at the top and Edit Signature. You can refer to mine as a pattern if you wish. That way the info travels with your every post. Important when the threads get long and people forget the particulars.

Guys I wasnt able to post any comments with my Pr0t0n account I had to signup again.

But I called the store and they have send me all my components again so I can put a name and model to everything now, I will summerize them right now.

And kenny I will make screenshots within the next 30 mins.

EDIT: This forum has some serious issues, first I cant edit any of my profile settings gives no error just the subscription page as output.
And second I cant find anywhere were I can edit my signature.

Last edited:
My hardware:

Aerocool XPredator Evil Black Edt. or/bk
MSI 880GM−E41 + X4 640 + 4GB KVR 1333MHz
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B SCMG−2100

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
You did good mate thats pretty good for a beginner, first of drop you're ht link a notch, as it's @ 2250 and you don't really want to go over 2000 and bump you're vcore (cpu voltage up a notch also and retest , remember to watch temps as now you're at the stage of adding more vcore you're temps will start to rise

You can't ad a sig until you have a certain number of posts and seen as though you have had to re register you won't have that option yet.

Last edited:
and how about my cooling now you know the exact brand and model, is it capable of cooling enough for this job?

And for case fans, are there any specific you would recommend?

You're cooler seems to be doing a pretty good job up to now, but the good coolers stand out once you pump high vcore into them and you're not that high on vcore yet so we will find out soon enough, as for fans there is so many to choose from but yate loons are cheap and do a good job or if you want to go loud you can go for Nidec or Sanyo denki but there more for benching as they are pretty extreme

Back