• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd fx 8150 stuck at 4Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freezecz

Hello overlockers. Im fairly new to overclocking, I have watched some videos about it and I have tried overclocking by my own. First I increased mhz only with multiplier. I managed to keep it withoun errors at 20 (4000 mhz). I were testing with prime95. When I tried to increase multiplier above 4200 mhz I got black screen. Couldnt boot so I was forced to reset my bios with magic pull trick .).
When I had done overclock with multiplier between 4000-4200 I always got prime95 error about rounding was 0,5, expected 0,4 or less.

When I tried increasing voltage I get same black screen withoun even being able to go into bios.

my computer:
amd Fx 8150
motherboard:asus M5A97pro
freezer 13 limited edition
Ram 8 GB 1600mhz hyperx genesis
sapphire 7870 flex edition 2gb
Seasonic M12II-850 Bronze
corsair 500r case

You need to tell us what voltages you are using at these frequencies. If it doesn't boot that generally means not enough vcore.
Currectly withoun errors @4GHZ 1.33750 Cpu voltage
cpu NB 1.17500
dram 1.6500
bus freQ 200mhz

When I tried 4200 I had increased the voltages on cbu nb at 1.2500 and cpu voltage to 1.4000
Rest when I tried more I dont remember :( :)

No i think he is having same problem as me Here: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717563

is ytour black screen happining right after the Windows Loading Screen?
if so you are having the same issue as me, and its not yet fixed but mainly what the problem is due to making so many changes in the bios at once see us people who just go in and set somthing mild like just installing a computer then going stright into bios and setting it at 4.2+Ghz it does the same for me i found out that if you change only a few settings at a time saving, then rebooting and applying a few more at a time and not going from a 4.0Ghz to 4.5Ghz+ or 3.6Ghz to 4.2Ghz will help this issue. if not then as jmo_9000 its cause its not enuff vcore, take ur vcore or (CPU Voltage) upto 1.4Volts and try 4.2Ghz make sure all ur Green stuff is disabled, like c1e, c6, etc. and here is a guide that may help you understanding overclocking more and a guide for FX Overclocking as well for both advanced and beginners overclockers. hope this helps.: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663

Its black screen before I even see bios or I m able to run bios :( Im newguy I only knows multiplier and bus speed, and cpu voltage, no more :)

Any advice what to do with my motherboard? How much increase voltage bus or multiplier to even boot to bios.

I had read this guide like 4 times already. I get all terms. But I dont know how to OC so I would run into bios. I always have to reset bios... I want like 4200 stable now :) with prime95 stable .)

So my problem is: I cant even run bios settings. The main problem... more then 4000 mhz -> no bios settings

Last edited:
1. The guides walk you thru getting and using the numbers in the bios to overclock. What is the problem with that? That is how we all overclock our cpus right from our own keyboard.

2. You can make an informative signature though? Help us to see what is inside the case much more easily as the thread goes on in length.

3. It sounds like you want somebody to tell you what numbers to plug into the bios to go a certain speed. Hardly ever works but you surely need a signature for someone to SEE what you have and maybe have the same stuff and just walk in and give you some working bios settings.

1. Only problem is dat I cant even start bios when I try to overclock more then 4ghz.
I dont have problem with setting things up in my opinion... I dont want to hear numbers, only the solution of my problem .)

Go in bios and DISable Cool N Quiet, C1E, C6 (if there), TurboCore, and any other 'green' setting that throttles down the cpu. Go into Windows Power Management Section and set the power mode to "performance" mode.

Then set Cpu Voltage to 1.4Volts. Set Cpu Multiplier to 18 and then run Prime 95 Blend for at least 20 mins or until a worker may drop out of running.

Below is how to display the results of the P95 20min Blend running test. This should give us a picture of what is happening your end since we cannot be there.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

I was always running small FFTs. Okey I will do this. Then I will report my results

I had disabled Cool n Quiet, C1E, C6, turbo core was disablem already when I start overclock.

Also I did disable Epu power saving mode-Should I have done it?

there was few more things. Enchance power down, SVM, APM master mode. From these 3 things, should I disable something?

And one more. Should I disable the cpu spread spectrum? or pcie spread specturm?

Thanks for replying, as soon as you reply for this I will increase the voltage at 1,4 and do the testing :)

EDIT:
And I got a problem. Since I disabled that automatic stuff, I ran my pc for about 30 minutes with internet explorer and I have got a blue screen already! Did happened to me on 4ghz overclock before, I was enabled these automatic things again. I will disable them when I will go for the 1,4 voltage

Last edited:
APM ... yes disable that.
SVM has to do with Virtualization .... I don't think you need to worry about that.
ENhanced Power Down ......

EPU .... Below is a copy out of your Motherboard manula on what EPU is. From reading that I would say Yes disable it

Tap into the worlds first real time PC power Saving Chip through AI SUite II utility. Get Total system wide energy opimization by detecting current PC loadingas and intelegently moderating power consumption. This also reduces fan noise and extends component longevity.

CPU and PCIE Spred Spectrum ..... EDIT "Yes Disable CPU Spred Spectrum".

Follow RGons directions .... get a screen shot of your system one of your settings is probably off. If you get another blue screen go into bios and reset to optimum settings and again disable all the green stuff. Something might have goten changed by accident along the way.

Last edited:
CPU Spread Spectrum should be disabled for overclocking.
APM should be disabled, or else the CPU will throttle when it exceeds a set current draw.

CPU Spread Spectrum should be disabled for overclocking.
APM should be disabled, or else the CPU will throttle when it exceeds a set current draw.

Okey I had disable all green stuff and I did prime95 testing, I also got 4363 mhz from 4ghz withoun increasing anything O_O. I attach two pictures

I did not try to get the blue screen because I was scared from prime95 fail test

I will also add screens of my settings made by phone :)

Attachments

• processor.png
    processor.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,006
  • disabled green stuff.png
    disabled green stuff.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,010
Oh, by the way...what is the stock voltage on your CPU? Has Windows Aero been crashing?
Download CoreTemp from alcpu.com and check the default voltage for your CPU.

Your CPU is clocking so badly, it is possible that it is defective.

If it doesn't pass at stock settings and stock voltage, with Load-Line Calibration disabled and green stuff disabled, you might want to think about returning it and getting a new one. ;)

Back