• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd fx 8150 stuck at 4Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
after you have done this.
boot into bios.
turn off all the 'green' stuff, set your llc and save it in a profile and you will have your basic overclocking setup just one click away.
as you learn you will find other settings that will allways be the same so as you find those things just update the profile.

freezecz, what is wrong is you are in a hurry and getting well ahead of yourself.
boot to bios, press the f5 key, press 'enter' key twice. system will reboot with default settings, open the cpu screens that have been requested and the hardware monitor screen.
run prime 95 for 25 minutes and take a screenshot and post it here.

please abort the prime95 if the lines in hardwaremonitor "core temp" get over 55c.
this will give us a base line to work from.

Read post #37, everything default but only green stuff disabled, everything stable and screenshots are there too...

LLC enabled or disabled?

Edit: I still didnt get answer if I should disable power enchance down

Last edited:
post #37 was after a reset to default?

disable power enhance down.
where are you?
are you useing traslation software?

Last edited:
post #37 was after a reset to default?
what i was trying to see was if the 2.8ghz was a one time querk or an issue with the board or instructions in the cpu.

disable power enhance down.
where are you?
are you useing traslation software?

I dont even know what are you talking about, what 2,8 ghz??

Ye dats test after I had set settings to default and from default I had disabled all green stuff.

Enchance power down is option where are other green stuff so I ask if I should disable it too?

I dont use any SW translator...

Just a beginning note and that is that 'caddi daddi' got this thread a little confused with one where the processor was only showing 2.81Ghz and this is n0t hard to do when we have so many asking for help. What he was asking about though was the jumping around from one place to the next without addressing the first situation. He was having as much problem and was as confused as I was, until I did as out-lined below.

Freezer 13 limited edition.
This link has 'one' review of the Arctic Freezer 13 Limited edition.

ARCTIC (Formerly Arctic Cooling) has been around for a while. Previously I reviewed Arctic's new top line cooler the Freezer 13 Pro. Today I'm testing out their new mid range CPU cooler, the Freezer 13 Limited Edition.

The fan on the front is a 92mm job, colored a dark silvery color to match the rest of the heatsink. The immediately obvious feature of this heatsink is it's relatively small size.

HERE we need to stop and take NOTE of a couple of things. Freezer 13 Limited Edition is not Arctic's top of the line cooler. The Freezer 13 Pro is considered to be Arctic's Top of the line AMD cooler until they make some other model of AMD cpu cooler.

THAT is one NOTE out of the way and here is the second NOTE. The fan on the cooler is only a single 92mm and the entire unit is small in size.

Okay the Freezer 13 LE is a mid-level cpu cooler and the Freezer 13 Pro is more like their top of the line cooler.

Now with those two known parameters let us see more information. Here is a link to a review of the Top of the LIne Freezer 13 Pro and page # 4 of the review where ALL the cpu coolers they have tested are 'ranked' by their performance.
LINK HERE Now scroll on down the long list of AMD cpu coolers that have been tested and 'finally' you will come to the Top of the Line Freezer 13 Pro. Way down the list. The list shows the 'tested' coolers in order of best cooling at the top and on down as cooling is less.

Remember the "LINK HERE" above took us to the Top of the Line, Freezer 13 Pro and not the lesser Freezer 13 Limited Edition. Can you see in your minds eye how far down the list in cooling ability the Freezer 13 Limited Edition would likely fall? I can when trying to cool an 8 core FX-series processor.

So here we are in the thead titled >> Amd fx 8150 stuck at 4Ghz >> and it maybe pretty clear why the user "Freezecz" is stuck at 4.0Ghz with an 8 core FX-8150. He does not have enough cooling to support much beyond 4.0Ghz and do it with stability because the cpu is running too hot.

Go to his post #37 which has images captured at full screen instead of the recommended specific menu only, and you will see this reflected. HWMonitor at the cpu speed of 3612Mhz (CPUz) shows the Max Vcore of 1.27V and Max Cpu Temp of 61c and Cpu Core Temp Max of 43c.

Now we know it has been dificult to get the four captures of CPUz: Cpu Tab, Memory Tab and SPD Tab along with the capture of HWMonitor that was running before and after 20mins of Prime 95 Blend test. So it has been very difficult to keep up with what has been happening or 'most' likely happening at his end, that we could not put eyes on. There has been way too much jumping around and not following exactly what we have needed to see in the way of graphic information to try and decide why the user is saying his FX-8150 is stuck at 4.0Ghz.

In my minds eye, the problem is probably pretty clear; the Cpu Cooler is nowhere near being good enough to cool an FX-8150 at much above 4.0Ghz and do so with any measure of stability. Before we chase ourselves around the building 10 or 20 times more, he needs to address what is most likely poor Cpu cooling that does not allow to up the Vcore without having the temps go sky-high and cause a problem.

I only saw this problem after reading the entire thread 3 or 4 times with multiple screens open so I could try and follow the story-line fully without gettting lost. After hours of digging thru this thread and getting some idea of the problem and then researching what is the likely the cooling performance of the Freezer 13 Limited Edition, it is now fairly obvious that he does not currently have cooling to handle an FX-8150 at any speed beyond 4.0Ghz because raising the Vcore to stabilize the Cpu causes overheat and instability and odd Usb and Windows display issues.

What say ye other helpers now that the pattern/picture of the possible problem maybe more clear? I have already voted that it is likely a heat problem reducing ability to overclock since the Cpu Temp is already 61c with only a Vcore of 1.27Volts and a speed of only 3600Mhz.

RGone...ster. :chair:

Last edited:
Thanks for your replying. I want to buy new cpu cooler. I am thinking about H100 but before I will buy H100, I need to know If I can even OC my cpu. Im not sure if I can with this one. It should be able to run into windows with only 1,30 Voltage!! even tho I have this cpu cooler.

I did somehow overclocked my cpu to 4363 withoun increasing voltage only disabled green stuff and turn on performance mode :)

What cpu cooler should I buy? power/cost . Thanks

Isnt a problem in my 970 chip motherboard?

Last edited:
WOW, Mine max's out @ 40C (using the asus software) and 30C using hardware monitor. Not sure what the ten degree difference is all about but either way temps are cool. Sounds like MB and or cooling issue to me. Hope the OP gets it sorted.

Well I am back home and have retired my tiny laptop for some much bigger and better screenage.

@ Kris ..... the difference is you are runninng it at stock with much better cooling and top of the line motherboard that is better made to deal with the heat. Once you start adding volts to the CPU and Overclocking it they generate allot of heat both in the cores and motherboard. After 12 Min running Prime his core temps, 43*C are not bad at 3.6MHZ but his Socket Temp is getting high , 61*C which is probably where his issues are. I should of seen that pattern earlier but was away for the weekend and had my laptop, that 13" screen and my old eyes .... ...

@Freezecz ..... I should of picked up on your socket temp but was multi tasking. Like RGone has said you need to look at your cooling. Even though your CPU Temps 43*C were not bad @3600MHZ your socket temps were getting high 61*C. Again ... I should of seen that pattern earlier but was away for the weekend and had my laptop, that 13" screen and my old eyes .... ...

What I think is Happening and maybe RGone can also comment .... Your motherboard is a mid leval board and is not dealing well with your socket temps being generated. It could be poor ventalation which I doubt as your case is pretty good, maybe re aranging your fans will help get a better air circulation. High Ambient temps, How hot is your room that the computer is in? Or it could just be the cooling on your VRM Socket area.

I do think following caddie daddies advice about resetting your bios is good. I still think even though you have said to me that your settings are at stock there is something that is not right ..... maybe a setting made by mistake. You need to make sure your bios is propperly set back to stock. See quote bellow....

boot to bios, press the f5 key, press 'enter' key twice. system will reboot with default settings, open the cpu screens that have been requested and the hardware monitor screen.run prime 95 for 25 minutes and take a screenshot and post it here.

boot into bios.
turn off all the 'green' stuff, set your llc and save it in a profile and you will have your basic overclocking setup just one click away.

RGone has been here helping allot longer than me, Crap I am just starting out. Think of his advice as .... well some of the best you will find.

In my minds eye, the problem is probably pretty clear; the Cpu Cooler is nowhere near being good enough to cool an FX-8150 at much above 4.0Ghz and do so with any measure of stability. Before we chase ourselves around the building 10 or 20 times more, he needs to address what is most likely poor Cpu cooling that does not allow to up the Vcore without having the temps go sky-high and cause a problem.

I only saw this problem after reading the entire thread 3 or 4 times with multiple screens open so I could try and follow the story-line fully without gettting lost. After hours of digging thru this thread and getting some idea of the problem and then researching what is the likely the cooling performance of the Freezer 13 Limited Edition, it is now fairly obvious that he does not currently have cooling to handle an FX-8150 at any speed beyond 4.0Ghz because raising the Vcore to stabilize the Cpu causes overheat and instability and odd Usb and Windows display issues.

So the problems is caused by motherboard and cpu cooler? Or Only cpu cooler

I have 2 in from side of case forcing air into case, then big one in side of case 200mm to force another air in, then I have 2 on top exhausting air, and one from behind exhausting too. Is it correct?

I will set bios to default one more time and run tests :)

Here is default settings screenshots

Now I go for the testing !

Attachments

• Desktop.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
Alright, there's no way I can jump in here an know what is going on at the pace that these threads move and the multiple directions they take.

Can someone lay out for me and anyone else that might stumble upon here, these things, briefly?

1. What is the issue? What are the symptoms here? Are things acting up, and what are they, or are people pointing out something wrong in a normally functioning system?

2. More specific to what I see in this thread, are we still trying to get above 4 GHz? Is cooling an issue, is the OP lost as to what to increase or decrease to solve his problem, be it temperature or just simply getting above a certain frequency while being moderately safe?

3. Are there troubles with downclocking under load or power saving / over temperature or current protection issues going on here? I see some mentioning of "2.8 GHz" scattered across here.

I certainly do not mean to be rude but a lot of threads here wander a bit and people go on tangents about certain things. It would certainly help people like me that can not sit down for an hour and read every sentence in every post twice if we kept things brief and organized. Some of you guys seem to be all over the place making it very hard to follow what you mean or are trying to say, or even what is trying to be accomplished here.

Here is default settings screenshots

Now I go for the testing !

NEWS! I tested for 25 minutes. Here are some screenshots of it. All info ! CPUID &HWmonitor&core temp included !

Now how to set LLC?

To beepbeep2:
1. Everytime I try increase voltage I cant load up to windows, always freeze before even loading to windows.

2. Try to OC cpu as much as possible with this cooling kit. Also how to fix issue described at 1.

3. Someone miss clicked to other thread and posted something what doesnt belong there.

Attachments

• beforetest.zip
    458.7 KB · Views: 16
  • aftertest.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Next time please put all of the windows in one screenshot. You can open more than one at a time.

I've gathered this so far:
Your CPU is working at stock speeds, with all power saving functions enabled.
Turbo is working correctly.

Due to APM (Application Power Management), who knows if your load temps are real for theoretically 3.6 GHz and voltage used at stock. APM, a power saving function of this platform throttles the CPU when a predefined TDP is reached...you may never notice if it does or not outside of benchmark results.

Disable Cool N Quiet in your bios, C1E, APM, C6 state.

To start, in BIOS, set:
Change from EZ Mode to Advanced mode, using top right button on-screen if you haven't already.

Ai Tweaker page:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio: 20
AMD Turbo Core Technology: Disabled
CPU Bus/PEG Frequency: 200
PCIE Freq. : Auto
Memory Frequency: 1600 MHz
CPU/NB frequency: 2000 MHz
HT Link Speed: 2000 MHz

Disable both Spread Spectrum, CPU and PCIE

Do not touch DRAM Timing Control, DRAM Driving Control.

DIGI+ VRM:
CPU Load Line: High/Ultra High if available. Do not choose extreme or medium. If just enabled/disabled, select enabled.
CPU/NB Load Line: Regular or Disabled. Do not enable this, the board over volts.
CPU Current Capability: Try 120%.
CPU/NB Current Capability: Try 120%
CPU Power Phase Control: Standard, or Extreme, do not choose anything below default.
CPU Voltage Frequency: 400 works well.
VRM Spread Spec.: Disabled
CPU Power Duty Control: Leave as default.

CPU & NB Voltage: Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage 1.4125v <--this is the stock voltage for your particular CPU as noted by CoreTemp in windows.
CPU/NB Manual Voltage 1.2v
CPU VDDA: Auto
DRAM Voltage: Select the stock voltage for your ram, otherwise leave at Auto
NB Voltage: Auto
NB HT: Auto
NB 1.8: Auto
SB: Auto

Move to "Advanced" tab:
CPU Configuration >
Disable Cool n Quiet, C1E, SVM and C6 and APM if listed.

Boot back up after this and see where it gets you.

IK .... BeepBeep2 ....... WHere has this thread gone..... so far

Freezecz was having isssues with his system freezing before windows can load. I was trying to help a bit before I had to leave Friday. Basically he say's the system Bios was reset to stock and if I understand him right he still has issues with his sytem freezing. The highest he has tried to OC was 4GHZ though I doubt that was stable by his post and temps, primaraly his CPU Socket temps which are at 61*C @3.6 which is the only screens I have seen from him though small and almost impossible to read on my laptop.

He is cooling his CPU with a ..... freezer 13 limited edition .... see RGone's post as he did some digging on that while I was away. I just got back home a few hours ago and have not been able to get online much as of yet. I'll be here for a little bit before I hit the sack if you have questions.

IK .... BeepBeep2 ....... WHere has this thread gone..... so far
Well I can tell you right now a 4 GHz OC can be done on the stock cooler so there is more to it here than that.

I set him up here for a 4 GHz OC at stock voltage with LLC enabled correctly (I saw VID was read at 1.4125v in CoreTemp but max voltage was 1.36 in software, so it looks like LLC was disabled which I know does cause a little vdroop.)

The reason a month or two ago that I left was that threads like this were getting to be 3, 4, even 5 pages long and nothing was accomplished or only one or two things out of say, 5 or 6 were addressed and people were posting essays for every post.

That makes it very hard for someone like me to come in when a topic has been open for less than 48 hours and is 3 or 4 pages long and the OP still hasn't solved his clearly defined issue such as "FX 8150 stuck at 4 GHz".

That should be a simple fix in just a few posts once you look at all the data, and behavior of the CPU (type of failure)!

There is absolutely no need for 3 people to write a 5 paragraph essay about what cooler he has and how it measures up, then afterwards say "change this to this" and state why, then explain why in 20 paragraphs but do so without understanding exactly what is going on when you enable, disable something and what kind of effect it has on the system. People here need to analyze everything there is at hand and put 2+2 together to make 4.

I know I sound harsh but when you ramble on and on and on about such and such and such and explain why such and such needs to be enabled/disabled and such and such without actually logically understanding how such and such effects a system (a system, being CPU, IMC, DRAM, motherboard, and more and how they work in tandem and what certain voltage rails do to the parts that they are connected to) other than assuming that someone else's reports are right or taking a guess, like I see much of us do here, then you really should not be the one explaining it!

Freezecz was having isssues with his system freezing before windows can load. I was trying to help a bit before I had to leave Friday. Basically he say's the system Bios was reset to stock and if I understand him right he still has issues with his sytem freezing. The highest he has tried to OC was 4GHZ though I doubt that was stable by his post and temps, primaraly his CPU Socket temps which are at 61*C @3.6 which is the only screens I have seen from him though small and almost impossible to read on my laptop.

He is cooling his CPU with a ..... freezer 13 limited edition .... see RGone's post as he did some digging on that while I was away. I just got back home a few hours ago and have not been able to get online much as of yet. I'll be here for a little bit before I hit the sack if you have questions.
It looks like he posted Prime stable numbers at stock.
Why I think this:
CPU is shown at 18x multi in his screen where he was running Prime for 20 minutes.
vcore was 1.176v, meaning there was very moderate vdroop, I can see in CoreTemp that stock VID was 1.4125v, and max voltage was 1.36v, this is very much in line with an ASUS motherboard and LLC off.
Good news is, at stock and 1.18v load he was at 36c CPU temp and the motherboard was reading 55c. Now, I've been preaching about the 20c difference for quite some time, and I know for a fact, because I measured the back of the socket near the sensor, that ASUS's boards are just 3-4c low.
Anyway, that looks to be a bit better than the stock cooler, but not as good as very high end.

In his screenshot after Prime, CPU-Z shows .816v vcore and 4214 MHz which is the turbo frequency. It is easy to surmise that CPU-Z just did not refresh one or the other when he took the screenshot, CoreTemp reads 1400 MHz which looks right for that pstate.

I want to know why we are at page 3 though, and the OP is still at stock.
I didn't know you overclocked to stock.

I gave him the whole bios layout for a quick and easy 4 GHz core speed / 2 GHz CPU-NB at stock CPU voltage (1.4125v) and 1.2v CPU-NB and enable LLC, disable all power-saving stuff. I also instructed him to set DRAM Frequency to 1600 MHz, and leave timings auto. Since he has a 1600 CL9 kit, the board will read the 1600 CL9 SPD and adjust memory timings accordingly. Lets see where this gets him, both stability and temp wise, then we can move forward to see what is realistic here and what is not.

Last edited:
I did OC at 4ghz stable just with increasing the multiplier to 20 withoun changing anythiing else.

Ye, screenshots are from default settings as I was told to do it

I dont have problems with default settings not even with 4ghz but I want more

Last edited:
Please follow the directions I posted above.
To start, in BIOS, set:
Change from EZ Mode to Advanced mode, using top right button on-screen if you haven't already.

Ai Tweaker page:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Ratio: 20
AMD Turbo Core Technology: Disabled
CPU Bus/PEG Frequency: 200
PCIE Freq. : Auto
Memory Frequency: 1600 MHz
CPU/NB frequency: 2000 MHz
HT Link Speed: 2000 MHz

Disable both Spread Spectrum, CPU and PCIE

Do not touch DRAM Timing Control, DRAM Driving Control.

DIGI+ VRM:
CPU Load Line: High/Ultra High if available. Do not choose extreme or medium. If just enabled/disabled, select enabled.
CPU/NB Load Line: Regular or Disabled. Do not enable this, the board over volts.
CPU Current Capability: Try 120%.
CPU/NB Current Capability: Try 120%
CPU Power Phase Control: Standard, or Extreme, do not choose anything below default.
CPU Voltage Frequency: 400 works well.
VRM Spread Spec.: Disabled
CPU Power Duty Control: Leave as default.

CPU & NB Voltage: Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage 1.4125v <--this is the stock voltage for your particular CPU as noted by CoreTemp in windows.
CPU/NB Manual Voltage 1.2v
CPU VDDA: Auto
DRAM Voltage: Select the stock voltage for your ram, otherwise leave at Auto
NB Voltage: Auto
NB HT: Auto
NB 1.8: Auto
SB: Auto

Move to "Advanced" tab:
CPU Configuration >
Disable Cool n Quiet, C1E, SVM and C6 and APM if listed.

Boot back up after this and see where it gets you.

That is 4 GHz. If that configuration works for you, then raise the multiplier to 20.5 without doing anything else after testing.

Okey here is screenshot of all needed withoun testing. Temps seems to be pretty high :(

Attachments

• withoun testing temps.jpg
    withoun testing temps.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 95
Okey here is screenshot of all needed withoun testing. Temps seems to be pretty high :(

after like 5-10 seconds of test I had to end it. Temps jumped instantly high

Should I try to test it longer? If yes, when should I stop or how not to burn my cpu :(

see below:

Attachments

• 5seconds of test.jpg
    5seconds of test.jpg
    731 KB · Views: 95
Back