• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8300 overclocking troubles.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson69

Hi everyone. I am new here and need some help. I just put my FX8300 on my MSI 970A-G46 MB with 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1866 RAM. I have a Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi.
Now the Bios features are very confusing and well need some real help PLEASE! AND THANK YOU!
I first off notice that this CPU can and says it will do 4.2GHz SO far no such luck.
So I have the latest bios for this MB and need your help getting this thing tuned in. I do believe it can be a fast setup with the Ripjaws RAM, I just do not know about the MB bios setting they have me confused!

Well I figured it all out. Guess I wasn't that dumb after all. And no help needed.
Got my FX 8300 to 4.2GHz and the RAM is 1866MHz!!! So sweet now love it! Though my Quad core Ryzen 3 1300X at 4.ghz is faster!

4.2 FX 8300..jpg

WOOOOHOOOO!!!! YEAH able to lower the CPU voltage to 1.3 So cool!

voltage droped.jpg

The VRM's get HOT! WOW now they are much cooler! Couldn't touch them before now it's good!
Got the MB Free and the FX CPU for $100 bucks and the RAM brand new at new egg for 120.

Way to go!! :)
I wonder if I can beat that score with my i7 920. I'm in bed already though.

GAH! HOLD ON! BRB

Sorry it took so long, I kept uploading, but it keeps disappearing, then turns out I was over limit on image size:D anyways, that's as high as it would clock because then I hit the wall no matter the voltage, even 5.2vcore won't do it, although I haven't tried.

Fhew, smelled like burning tacos on that bench run.:rofl: she was at 21x multiplier on all cores, steps down to 12x when idle. Nevermind that 22x, she never switches there.

My 4053mhz score

View attachment 196718

too nice! Yeah Them Intel chips are something else. I have an old Q9650 I just replaced that system last month with a Ryzen 3 1300X but I still keep the Q9650 going just for kicks. 9 years and still rocking hard at 3.8Ghz! HOLY yes 9 years at 3.8GHz still going strong! But I do love this new octa core It is my first one ever and it was extremely cheap compared to building an Intel rig or buying a pre-built one. it is fun maybe not the MB so much but the CPU and RAM are fantastic!

Sweet! My uncle has a q9650! He doesn't overclock though, it's OEM type stuff.. ryzen line is quite attractive, I want one when I do the upgrade! Could take a while though with all those gpu and ram prices, because I need to do a full overhaul, everything is old down there..

You need to stress test your overlock with a real stress tester like Prime95. If it will pass at least 2 hours of the Prime95 blend test you can consider it stable.

Have HWMonitor non pro version open on the desktop when you stress with Prime95 in order to monitor temps. You don't want your package temps to exceed 60c or your socket/VRM motherboard temps to exceed 70c.

You need to stress test your overlock with a real stress tester like Prime95. If it will pass at least 2 hours of the Prime95 blend test you can consider it stable.

Don't know if I'd run those VRMs for two hours of Prime95 without some healthy active cooling on them. Just sayin'...

Uh men, he's cranking it even further now:chair: something's gonna melt

...and he beat my score. Ah I can't accelerate mine any higher. Stuck.

As long as the OP keeps the VRM /socket cooled properly he should be fine. He's not going to melt Taco.

One thing is for sure this MB's VRM's get smoking HOT! When you push 1.4v on the CPU Vcore the VRM'S are smoking hot! I have backed it off till I can figure out how to hold 4.0GHz without blowing the VRM's! Any one know what voltages to use on the CPU to keep the VRM's from over heating other than stock?

I have to say this for the machine SWEET!!!!!
I have been testing out the system with the HD5870 to see how viable it will be for gaming. And WOW I am surprised! (first off this is not the 4k games or any hardcore games of today) For the games I play like DIII Reaper of souls, metro 2033 and older games like that it is smokin fast!
Metro 2033 was on average 60fsp no drops in frame-rate at all! In DIII it is slower 30FPS with no stutter played like BUTTER in 64bit mode ultra high resolution settings and all that.

As for a gaming build this FX8300 on the MSI board (With turbo mode on) is going to be sweet once I plop a killer video card in it.
All in all old HD5870 card still likes to game and it maybe slow but it doesn't stutter nor give jitters anymore! so all my games are now playable and fun in fact!
Plus it just looks so cool too.

armor4.jpg

armor2.jpg

armor2.jpg

Wonder why the VRM's get so hot and why MSI did this to there name brand?

All it probably needs is a fan, brother.
I know it's not PC, but I have a brushless speed controller with passive cooling, got a bunch of mosfets inside and lots of current pumping through it. Anyways, it was getting uncomfortably hot to the touch, but after a small fan was installed, barely warm now. It's just one of those things that need some airflow.

Edit: oh I see you added pix and video! Sweet rig! You could play football in there so much space! Probably need some sort of support under that right corner of video card. Put a Lego man in there :D too heavy

Last edited:
Well that's not very hard to do just need to find some small fans to put on them. Thought the air flow was great but maybe not as great as I thought. some direct air with tinny fans maybe needed.

trickson69, the reason why the VRM section gets so hot is that board isn't really made to handle on of these Fx 8xxx cpus. Yes, it will run it stock and it will run it slightly Oc'ed. That said, it only has a 4+1 Power phase section on that board and that Fx 8xxx draws a whole lot of voltage when Oc'ed. Putting active cooling on the VRM and on the backside of the board will help keep things a bit cooler. Even on my top end AMD boards specifically 990Fx Sabertooth and Crosshair V I put active cooling on the Vrm section and back of the board because it still gets hot. Both of those boards have a much better power phase section to boot.

Last edited:
So they went cheapo on the boards for the FX chips? Yeah it does fine slightly overclocked but gets hell-a hot at 1.4v. I will get some active cooling on them before I go back up to 4.2Ghz. I really like this chip at that speed it is so fast!
Not sure but if I have to I will get a better MB for this stuff! It's just too nice a CPU to not keep for gaming! I love it. (Not as good as my Ryzen 3 1300x though :D )

Don't forget support for that video card, it's leaning, and bending, :clap:all them heatpipes

Back