• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8300 overclocking troubles.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So they went cheapo on the boards for the FX chips? Yeah it does fine slightly overclocked but gets hell-a hot at 1.4v. I will get some active cooling on them before I go back up to 4.2Ghz. I really like this chip at that speed it is so fast!
Not sure but if I have to I will get a better MB for this stuff! It's just too nice a CPU to not keep for gaming! I love it. (Not as good as my Ryzen 3 1300x though :D )
To be honest, I feel like the Fx chips get a bad rap. As an everyday setup I really like mine, yeah if you are comparing benchmarks you're going to get more performance core for core from an Intel. For the average user one would never notice the difference.

As far as the motherboards go, even though the lower end boards will run the 8xxx chips they're really not made to handle the voltage drawn from these chips. If one wants to really push an 8xxx chip you're limited to a handful of boards. For me it's the Asus 990fx Sabertooth, the Crosshair V or nothing, if one is pushing.

So they went cheapo on the boards for the FX chips? Yeah it does fine slightly overclocked but gets hell-a hot at 1.4v. I will get some active cooling on them before I go back up to 4.2Ghz. I really like this chip at that speed it is so fast!
Not sure but if I have to I will get a better MB for this stuff! It's just too nice a CPU to not keep for gaming! I love it. (Not as good as my Ryzen 3 1300x though :D )

Whos's "they"? You mean you didn't build the computer? Or do you refer to MSI? That board was never meant to be an FX 8 core overclocker. It might handle an FX four core okay moderately overclocked.

Any of the vets around here will tell you that MSI never made a board that would stand up to heavy overclocking of the bigger FX CPUs. Their VRM section was just not stout enough. Even their top end boards weren't up to it. Go Asus or Gigabyte with 8+2 power phase components. A few ASRock boards would also handle them.

Last edited:
Seems that very few MB manufactures really put any effort into AMD's FX line. This is NOT AMD's fault it would seem that Motherboard makers for whatever reason just failed AMD and there FX line! If I were AMD I would sue the **** out of them! They failed to take advantage of AMD and there Chips.
But this is something I see across AMD's line including there current Ryzen3 and 5 lines. It makes me wonder just what MB makers are doing with the consumers and the products we get.
AMD has some very very strong CPU's and they are VERY fast! I see the MB companies dealing AMD and the consumers a crappy hand! While they focus on making Intel's LOCKED chips faster than ever before they (MB manufacturers) fall short of giving AMD the very same kind of support. It all falls on the MB manufactures and just how good they make there crap. And from what I have seem AMD is getting put on the back burner and they could give a rats Azz!
Just can not understand why AMD isn't taking them to task for that! 6 years and the FX line DDR3 RAM just died off slow weak and under performing.While Intel core i series keeps getting stronger? This don't make any sense at all! AMD isn't weak it is the MB makers MAKING AMD WEAK! For profit too!

Comes down to dollars and cents. AMD market share is low compared to Intel. So that's where the money is and honestly they don't put too much into them either as far as support and concentrate more on their top teir motherboard series in general. AMD or Intel

Seems like with Ryzen it's picking up on the AMD side, though.

And the problem wasn't with the motherboard manufacturers during the FX era as much as it was with AMD who were turning out 8 core CPUs that sucked 250+ watts of power when significantly overclocked while only giving you the performance of an Intel i5. Their CPUs excessive power draw was the real issue compared to Intel's offerings.

Last edited:
Yes all of this could have been rectified at the planning stage. it's NOT AMD's fault they put out a great chip the fact that motherboard manufactures do not give the consumer or the CHIP makers product a good product. I see it like this. JMHO. If the Chip-makers AMD , Intel give them the Chips and all the specs and everything you need to optimize the product yet fail to do so and hand out sub-par and weak parts that do not take advantage of the engineering sample CPU you are given then the blame lands on the board maker.
Just how I see it. They could have done far better than what they have. Isn't this why they make 1000+W PSU in the first place? This and video cards OMG they have no issue making boards that can't even take advantage of video cards lol. No I think the big issue is the MB manufactures and they should be taken to task IMHO.

I guess that's the issue when you design a chip and rely on 3rd party to make it run in consumer pc. Maybe there's conspiracy going on? Intel paying out to manufacturers to create weaker platform for their competition?

It's not unheard of^^^.. I would venture a guess that Intel has been paying MB makers to produce crappy MB's for there CPU and great high-end stuff for there own. I have seen it going on for a long time. It is a provocative subject and one worth the investigation and looking into. I bet we would be amazed at just what we find.

Yes all of this could have been rectified at the planning stage. it's NOT AMD's fault they put out a great chip the fact that motherboard manufactures do not give the consumer or the CHIP makers product a good product. I see it like this. JMHO. If the Chip-makers AMD , Intel give them the Chips and all the specs and everything you need to optimize the product yet fail to do so and hand out sub-par and weak parts that do not take advantage of the engineering sample CPU you are given then the blame lands on the board maker. Some of the motherboard manufacturers did make boards that would handle the overclocked FX 8 cores. But they cost $200. And the FX line were not great chips. They drew an inordinate amount of power and produced too little performance. And they weren't even cost effective overclockers when you consider you had to buy a premium motherboard and premium cooling in order to overclock them to the point where they would compete with a stock i5 Intel with stock cooling on a cheapo board.
Just how I see it. They could have done far better than what they have. Isn't this why they make 1000+W PSU in the first place? No. 1000+W PSUs are needed for powerful video cards rather than CPUs. This and video cards OMG they have no issue making boards that can't even take advantage of video cards lol. No I think the big issue is the MB manufactures and they should be taken to task IMHO. The motherbaord manufacturers make boards that will handle all the components you speak of but you have to pay for it. Would you expect to get Corvette performance out of a car you were only willing to pay Sonic prices for?

Listen, I speak as one who was an AMD fanboy for years. And I hope to be again someday. Ryzen is a step in the right direction. You're not just expressing an opinion dude, you're in denial!

lol.^^^. No I am good it performs better than I expected!
I still think things could have been different. Is all. The chip is fast and eats through games and everything else. I think the FX line got a bad wrap and when enough think some thing is junk (when it really isn't) the Manufactures also treated it as such. Just seems like AMD and the customers of AMD are getting the shot end of the stick! JMHO is all.
I am still looking for that sweet spot lol. seems to be on this MB is you just let it alone in turbo mode it does a fine job with out over heating the MB so I will stick with that for now. Games are playing like melted butter. It is funny for a "free" MB
I have 4 computer setups. 2 Intel Quad cores. One Q9650 one Q8300 and 2 AMD setup's one Ryzen 3 1300X ( WAY AWESOME!) One FX8300 also sweet.
So yeah I like the AMD over the Intel for gaming but the Intel is better at benchmarks.

Exactly. I am enjoying it and look forward to many more years of fun. It's not like it's a relic or even close to obsolete. None of my systems are IMHO.

Listen, I speak as one who was an AMD fanboy for years. And I hope to be again someday. Ryzen is a step in the right direction. You're not just expressing an opinion dude, you're in denial!
QFT.

Bulldozer and piledriver were looked at as duds. It has nothing to do with the motherboards. They were way slower than intel and used more power, even caps fps in some games with high end cards. Their saving grace, because they had to, was price.

I understand it's your opinion, but, it's off base. :)

Hmm I wonder just how AMD felt about them? Do you think that AMD thinks they are duds too? So AMD is putting out garbage and just re-branding crap so we consumers get the shaft? I am not sure that makes sense I still think that the reason the FX was such a DUD is because the hardware makers DO NOT CARE ABOUT AMD not as much as Intel and that is how it really is!

I still think that the reason the FX was such a DUD is because the hardware makers DO NOT CARE ABOUT AMD not as much as Intel and that is how it really is!
You can think that all you want...it isnt true.

Of course amd doesnt think they were duds. But the entire industry was disappointed in what they put out. It was slower by a significant margin and used more power. Its cost is the only thing that saved it, really.

You cam defend it all you want with your opinion. But just because its an opinion, doesnt mean it cant be wrong.... look at those flat earth people. :p

but that just limits what you spend on the gpu to a 970 or 980, savings all around!!!!!!!!

One thing is for sure I have yet to put together any system that was ever able to reflect any of the benchmarks that we out on said harware. I always got lower than low scores not reflecting anything close to what the benchmark said I would get when I got the hardware. SO it is an opinion rutted in FACT and actual tests! So you can say what it is you like you can NOT convince me that benchmarks are NOT skewed to favor Intel systems and that hardware makers are making crap stuff to put AMD on. Case in point the AM3+ 970 chip-set! YEAH!

I mean, what can you say to something like this???!!!!!

Good luck trickson. You keep on keeping on buddy. :)

Back