• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX 8300 overclocking troubles.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The bottom feeder boards don't OC anyway, do they? Don't you have to have a B350 or better (I think) before you can OC a Ryzen?

I meant the cheapest overclockable boards. They are not all created equal.

The FX Series has allot of potential for those that like to tweak their OC ....... Their big drawback has been their power consumption requiring one of the better Motherboards to handle the power draw and big cooling to handle the heat generated. Simply put the more you try to OC your FX Chip the more expensive it will get. Most boards can OC to 4.3 / 4.4 GHZ if you have adequate cooling but to really put the screws to the chip and get those big numbers you need to spend some big bucks on cooling. Yes Kenrou there are a few exceptions out there but they are just that .... exceptions. Here is a thread I did when FX first came out on what exactly I went through trying to cool an FX8150 to 5GHZ ......

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/715371-Build-FX-Tamer-Water-Cooled-Upgrade

You don't need to spend big to OC ..... here's another example of 4.7 Gig on a budget ..... but you won't get much beyond this without some bigger upgrades in cooling and most likely motherboard.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/741239-FX-8-Core-with-Gigabyte-GA-990FXA-UD3(REV4)

There are plenty of examples of builds out there to look for we had allot of people come in over the last 5 years or so looking for help with their rigs OC ...... they all came down to heat / poor cooling or poor choice of a motherboard. If you decide to get an FX system take your time, figure out your expectations first and do it right the first time. I'm a good example of this ..... I had roughly $1000 Canadian in my cooling (that includes shipping and duty charges) to run 5.1GHZ 24/7 on my FX8370 with max temps on Prime 6hours + of mid 50*C ....... I would have to go look though backup drives to find my old results and frankly I have too much to do right now for that.

Good luck UT if you decide to do an FX build ..... ask some questions there as there are more then a few guys here that will help.

The only reason that I even built this computer was the fact that I got the case/MB/CPU/ Some RAM/ a Blueray player and a PSU all for 30 bucks. I actually cleaned it all up and got it running on all the parts it came with. I looked around and even asked members over at TPU what would be the best CPU and RAM for this MB (taking in account all the short comings and all the issues with the VRM and heat). They ALL told me this FX8300 would be the best along with the Ripjaws DDR3 1866 MHz Ram. And It is! This thing is blazing fast and yes taking it past 4.2Ghz is just not going to happen on Air (not unless you don't care about 65*c!) I also know exactly what you are all talking about with VRM's and heat as well. Again I think this comes back onto the manufacturers and there lack of real interest in the FX line and that is apparent in all the FX line of MB's. What a shame. That said, again I only built this because the parts were really free. I spent so far like 230 bucks total for it so I am well pleased!

cinebench is pretty much spot on.
go download blender and a couple of benchmark projects and run them both on a couple of cpu's and find out. better yet make a couple of your own blender projects and test them, lots of fun with some free programs.

I have reached 4.4GHz!!! And I noticed some thing strange.
I get a higher score with the HD5870 video card in the Ryzen 3 system than I do with the new GTX card. That is strange.
I did the cards in each system and you can see the results very little change at all from the HD5870. Hmmm....

test2.jpg
test12.jpg

Back