• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Phenom II 1050T OC @ 3.7 problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Every card is different when your talking OC same as CPU's. My card is quite easy to OC I've went from 772 core to 910 2000 mem to 2400 and haven't even used the " asus voltage tweak software to overvolt yet. I do think u should be able to get more than 30MHz though.

So true. Among other things, it may well depend on how much the GPU was already overclocked from the factory or how it was "binned". Like CPUs, they will sell the same chip binned at different speeds. They crank the voltage and the clock up a little and sell it for more. Then there are factors like the efficiency of the GPU cooler.

Last edited:
I don't even know why I'm looking at oc'ing my gpu, most game play just fine. Just got me thinking last night when medal of honor crashed on me. I did download 2 new games to try out, Far Cry 3 and The newest Medal Of Honor

Cool I have Far Cry 3 sitting on the computer at home. Not going to start until my other card gets installed though.
Have you figured out what went wrong with you game yet?

Cool I have Far Cry 3 sitting on the computer at home. Not going to start until my other card gets installed though.
Have you figured out what went wrong with you game yet?

Nope, I'm getting ready for an interview for a junior DBA position. I've read 14 chapters on ms sql server 2008 management. I took a break last night to play a game. I might just need to re-install the game. After wednesday I'll be free to tweek and play with my system. I'll probably try out far cry 3 tonight, I can only read for so long before I'm not learning anymore. Max is about 6-8 hours straight.

I've got 2 ssd's in my system. One 120 gb for os and essential programs, and a 60 gb I was using for games. Recently I moved the windows pagefile.sys file to this second ssd and noticed a big jump in boot up time/performance. Medal of honor is still installed on that drive, could that be interfering with game play?

Not sure about that. I have my page file either disabled or greatly reduced. With the SSD's and 8 gig of ram it's not really necessary. and opens up more storage space.

http://superuser.com/questions/4573...e-the-page-file-when-theres-free-physical-ram Check out this link that discusses page file usage and you'll see that disabling the page file entirely will decrease system performance. Myself, being in software development, I know that in specific situations a page file is required for programs to run correctly. By placing my page file on a separate ssd I am allowing windows to read from my main disk and write the page file contents to another, increasing disk speed. There's no read write to a single disk. The performance gain was only a few seconds, maybe 10 at the most, but now instead of logging in and waiting for 10 seconds for my desktop to become responsive, I can do stuff now. But better still, I am saving my 'good' ssd from unneeded writes but still getting a performance increase by using the old ssd which was too small for windows 64 bit and my most used programs.

I agree with Craig on the PF thing. You definitely want to have a reserve on (preferably) an SSD drive for optimal performance.

As for the core voltage, what are you currently running at? Did you try upping it a bit as trents suggested? You should be good to ~1.5 just keep an eye on temps under load. Most Thubans will need more than 1.344v for anything over 3.8-3.9ghz. Try 1.45-1.48 Sometimes a system like yours can be unreliable if your CPU-NB voltage is not high enough for the NB clock. Sometimes it will exhibit strange symptoms such as failure to reboot properly or BSODs.

A great freeware program to monitor cpu temps and processor load is coretemp.

v-core voltage is at 1.368 with spikes to 1.392

northbridge 1.171 with spikes to 1.191

cpu core tmp full load after 10 min of prime testing is 42 c

northbridge full load after 10 min of prime testing is 55 - 60 c

I played far cry 3 last night on max settings without any graphics error. Game did kick me off once but I think it was a program error. Afterwards no problems.

hardware monitor shows correct temps and clock speed whether power-saving features are on off. Core Temp shows correct temp but wrong clock speed when power-saving features are turned on.

Open hardware monitor has a gadget that you can configure to show what ever you want in a nice gadget. These readings match CPUID hardware monitor

Yes for his personal use it is an okay program. When he is asking for help in the forum, then HWMonitor is the proggie of choice.
RGone...

I certainly didn't want you to think I was discouraging the use of HWmonitor by just a quick reference to core temp. Both are just tools of the trade and well accepted in the enthusiast-overclocker community. Core temp has the added feature of displaying real time temperature readings in the notification area, something that is not possible with HWMonitor. It makes sense to just have one program on top for troubleshooting / consistency purposes.

Last edited:
v-core voltage is at 1.368 with spikes to 1.392

northbridge 1.171 with spikes to 1.191

cpu core tmp full load after 10 min of prime testing is 42 c

northbridge full load after 10 min of prime testing is 55 - 60 c
You could try bumping the CPU/NB voltage up to 1.25. I'd also recommend you turn off the power saving features until you have a stable overclock.

your cpu temp is nice and low, so you can add more voltage there to see if that resolves any reliability issues @3.8 or higher clocking.

I certainly didn't want you to think I was discouraging the use of HWmonitor by just a quick reference to core temp. Both are just tools of the trade and well accepted in the enthusiast-overclocker community. Core temp has the added feature of displaying real time temperature readings in the notification area, something that is not possible with HWMonitor. It makes sense to just have one program on top for troubleshooting / consistency purposes.
http://http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Check out this link, I was using coretemp for a long time to monitor temp and cpu usage. While doing this overclock I saw that coretemp couldn't recognize increased GHz with power-saving features enabled. Open hardware monitor not only resolved this but you can display much of the same information that CUPID hardware monitor gives in a nice desktop gadget which starts with windows. CUPID hardware monitor and open hardware monitor are two different programs. CUPID hardware monitor does show some information that open hardware monitor doesn't, like different voltages, but with hardware monitor you get the desktop gadget to configure however you like.

You could try bumping the CPU/NB voltage up to 1.25. I'd also recommend you turn off the power saving features until you have a stable overclock.

your cpu temp is nice and low, so you can add more voltage there to see if that resolves any reliability issues @3.8 or higher clocking.

What do I do about bios and HW monitor not showing the same voltages? Who do I trust? In bios my v-core is 1.44 + .06 something offset, hardware monitor shows 1.368

What do I do about bios and HW monitor not showing the same voltages? Who do I trust? In bios my v-core is 1.44 + .06 something offset, hardware monitor shows 1.368

Actually the question you are asking about is one reason in general I personally prefer HWMonitor. HWMonitor gives a Min/Max and current Vcore number. I like the three voltage numbers because most of the good later motherboards have CPU LLC which can modify the voltage to the cpu under Load.

What the above means is that you may set and see one voltage in the bios and then AFTER windows loads the Vcore may well drop with little load (being inthe bios creates 'some' load) but when the load is applied to the cpu, the voltage to the cpu rises and depending on how CPU_LLC is setup, the Max Vcore will be another voltage. The very fact that voltages can vary, is why I like the Min/Max/Current voltage read-outs.
RGone...

so I should trust hardware monitor and not worry that while computer is in bios/booting I could actually be seeing 1.50 (or more) v-core volts because windows hasn't loaded an put a sufficient load on the processor? I'm completely new to this and just want to make double sure that I'm not going to over-volt my cpu. When it comes to a little more power or assurities that my cpu isn't going to fail 6 months from now, I'll chose longevity. So far I've applied little voltage to get to where I am, but I'm concerned about the discrepancies shown by these two sources.

Honestly I don't give two fahts what the bios shows for Vcore. I do care though what I have SET in bios is actually being shown to be used in a monitoring program such as HWMonitor.

If you want your bios voltage and Hwmonitor voltage to be about the same then Like Rgone said you'll need a different setting for your CPU LLC. If you set it manually to medium I think it's pretty much 1:1.
And yes I was mistaken about disabling my page file I've just reduced it cause windows sets it way too large. And these SSD's aren't cheap.
It's the System restore that I've disabled.

craig_, do you understand that when electronic devices start to pull a load that line voltage can drop? That's why the lights in a house can temporarily dim when the furnace or the AC kicks in.

Back